Saturday, April 23, 2011

So Much Better Than Legos


Every Easter I am reminded of something Brent said many Easters ago. Each of my children always got a little gift inside their Easter Basket--something besides candy, sometimes it was a movie or a book, etc. One year Brent got a box of Legos. (I think he was about 10) He said, "Legos are great, but the Atonement is such a better gift." (Coming from a child who we were told would never understand religion, that was a pretty incredible comment) (By the way, the pic is not Brent but our little Elder)

The Atonement truly is a better gift. As I have been preparing my lesson for Sunday, I have been reflecting a great deal on the power of the Atonement. I don't know how it works, but I know it does. I was recently in a Women's Conference and was reminded about the resurrected Savior's visit to the Nephites when he appeared to them and said, "Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world." (3 Nephi 11:14)

The speaker commented on how He had them come forth one by one and touch His wounds so they would each understand that He was wounded for us. The lesson for each of us is we are all wounded, and He, and only He, has the power to heal us. There was something so powerful in that thought. Something I have known, but it was made so much clearer to me. He didn't have them come forth to feel His biceps and feel how powerful He was, but rather feel His wounds.

The speaker also reminded us of the woman with the issue of blood (one of Elder Rob's "favorite" story when he was a youth--NOT). She had such great faith and knew that "If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole." (Mark 5:28) And how can we not be touched as we read "she was healed immediately". He reminded us how we can each symbolically touch His garment as we partake of the Sacrament.

I'm so incredibly grateful for His power to heal us--heal us from whatever. What an incredible blessing we can have if we will just "come unto Him". It truly is an amazing gift.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Fantastic post Yvonne. I'm preparing a Sharing Time on the resurrection for tomorrow. Last week they talked about the atonement and this week we will talk about the resurrection. I'm hoping to pull it all together for these kids somehow. The atonement helps us to perfect our spirit, the resurrection will perfect our bodies and because of both acts, we can return to live with our Heavenly Father again someday... we need both things to be completely perfect.
Anyway, good luck with your lesson (at least you know you won't have to stop halfway through to listen to someone talk about their new puppy ;))

Sheri said...

I would love to hear your lesson!! Beautiful thoughts. Happy Easter!

Lana said...

That is a wonderful thought. I am teaching tomorrow too. I have enjoyed pouring over articles and ideas this week. It is such a gift to be able to teach and learn along the way.

ShEiLa said...

I agree with Brent the atonement is better than Legos. I have closed my eyes and imagined being present when Christ asked for his followers to come and feel the prints of the nails in his hands and feet... Wow! I am so grateful for His sacrifice.

ToOdLeS.

Klin said...

Totally better than Legos! And to make it a sweeter gift, I understand the atonement much better than Legos.

Connie said...

Brent knows. Beautifully said! Thanks for bringing the spirit of Easter (our Savior) to me tonight.

Valerie said...

You're so eloquent. I wish I could write my thoughts as well as you.

Happy Easter, Yvonne.

Heffalump said...

Legos are awfully cool, but Brent is right, the Atonement is a much better gift!

aubrey said...

i have been thinking a lot about the atonement lately. reading old ensign articles and talks on this subject. i feel so imperfect lately {lately? all the time!} and in the talk i read this morning i was reminded of that wonderful blessing of the weekly sacrament that we have the opportunity to partake of to renew our covenants to keep the commandments and be the best we can be. and be forgiven of our sins. how wonderful!

Nancy Face said...

This is such a wonderful post!