Friday, April 1, 2011

Some Thoughts

I have had a few "senior moments" more frequently lately, and can I just say they are starting to scare me a bit. I had a serious memory lapse the other day. I have always had a pretty good memory and to think it may be going really bothers me. The other morning I was in the kitchen talking to myself (nothing abnormal about that, eh ; ) about how the toaster needed a good cleaning, but instead of referring to it as the toaster, I called it the iron.

I suppose these things bother me more because I really don't know if there is a family history of dementia. I guess only time will tell.

I am just so grateful for prayer and being able to communicate with my Heavenly Father. I hate being a way from family--I want to be closer to help when I can. As I watch one of my children deal with some pretty nagging medical issues, I'm so grateful for prayer. There is not much else I can do but pray. I suppose if I was closer, I couldn't do anything anyway, but it would just be easier. I just hope the doctors are able to find out what's wrong so things can be taken care of for them. As well, another child is facing some pretty substantial economic challenges. Not much else I could do there, but I guess I would just feel better if I was there to give them a hug. I was thinking about a line from the final episode of Lost when Jack's dad tells him, "None of us does it alone". We all know we're not alone, Heavenly Father is always there, and it's also so nice to know family is there, too.

I know that growth is part of the Plan. I have always loved this quote from C.S. Lewis:

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace."

I know that there is a purpose for struggles. If we turn to the Lord, He will help us deal with them.

And now to lighten things up again, some WHO KNEW facts:

People with allergies can lower allergy reactions by laughing.

20252 is Smokey the Bear's own zip code.

An Octopus will eat its own arms if it gets really hungry.

Some male spiders pluck their cobwebs like a guitar to attract female spiders.


HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND. I know I will because I LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE.



9 comments:

Heffalump said...

I sometimes make slips like that too, usually when I am talking and thinking at the same time. It seems I'm not capable of doing both at once!

Sheri said...

I love that CS Lewis Quote. How do you think I feel when I have those moments at 42!! I just told our employee to make some potato cobler!! not good!! I love Conference too and really need it right now! Thanks for your message!

Chantel said...

I will have to tell my boys about that octopus fact. I am sure they will find it very interesting. It is always reassuring to know that we are never alone.

Cherie said...

I'm younger than you and have been forgetting things for years already - I'm doomed - ha ha.
I am really looking forward to conference.

P.S. I didn't know that an Octopus would eat it's own arms - ewwwww

Gina said...

I've heard good things about this book: http://www.amazon.com/Moonwalking-Einstein-Science-Remembering-Everything/dp/159420229X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301686517&sr=1-1

I am sorry you are worried. I worry about myself in the long-run too. I am bad already with my memory.

I am so looking forward to conference!!!!!!!

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I'm sorry you're worried--about you, and your kids. I'm glad that you have such a wonderful family surrounding you--whether in person or in spirit--you are truly there for each other, no matter the distance. I understand what it's like to be away though--to feel helpless.

Love your random facts---I didn't know Smokey had is own zip code!

Garden of Egan said...

I'm not sure I am gonna ever get an octupus eating it's own arms out of my head!

Yes, General Conference, definitely something to look forward to.

Connie said...

Is there something wrong with calling a toaster an iron, or calling a child by another child's name? Because if there is, I'm in deep trouble!
Wouldn't it be nice if we could fix the problems of the world, or at least our children?
I too will enjoy conference. It's one of the best weekends of the year!

Doran & Jody said...

Oh my goodness!! Then I have been hitting "some"timers for a long time.

I sometimes think that I should blog about all the wrong words I say, but...everyone knows what I am talking about.

Just last night when Camri was trying to shut the computer desk door there was a camera strap hanging down in the way. It was sitting on a shelf. She kept trying to shut it and I told her to look upstairs (on the shelf).

And THAT was a mild mix up. But my family understands me.