Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Special Day

April 6th has great significance in Church History, but it also has great significance in my history, as well. Back in 1974--in between the afternoon session of Conference and Priesthood, I was baptized. (I'd love to tell you all I was 8, but that's NOT TRUE ; )

The past 37 years have been pretty incredible. Last weekend, as I sat in General Conference and heard the wonderful talks, I was taken back to those early years when I would go to our building and LISTEN to General Conference--no WATCHING in those days. I didn't always understand everything I heard, but I certainly understood everything I FELT. That is why I'm still here today--I KNEW IT WAS TRUE THEN, AND I KNOW IT IS STILL TRUE. I'm so grateful for those who have helped me along the way--who have been there to encourage and gently teach. I'm also grateful for those who, as Elder Christofferson stated in his Conference address, were willing to correct me when I needed it. I will always appreciate a Bishop who when I said, "I have a testimony of tithing, I just can't pay it", ever so gently but forceful enough for me to know I needed to listen, said, "Then, Sister J, you DON'T HAVE A TESTIMONY OF TITHING." As well, the Lord has seen fit to chasten me, and again, as Elder Christofferson said, I needed it. I appreciate so very much all those friends who knew that it wasn't easy being a single mom, and, therefore, took Stephen and I under their wing and adopted us as part of their families. I will forever be grateful for each and every one of them that included us in so many family activities. I must also give a great thank you to my son, Stephen. There were times when just knowing the responsibility I had as his mom kept me doing whatever I needed to do--I never wanted to let him down.

I'm especially grateful for a husband who is on this journey with me--we truly are very blessed. Obviously, I love and appreciate each member of my family. Not all of them have embraced everything we believe, and that is their choice, but that hasn't changed the way we feel about them. They are wonderful people and I love them all so very much.

I am incredibly grateful to have this truth in my life. I feel so blessed to have raised my children with this knowledge and to watch it bless their lives. Also, to have Elder Rob out sharing this message with the people of Pocatello, Idaho, is so wonderful. (It is still so hard for me to believe he has been out for 10 1/2 months already) BTW, I got a phone call from one of his buddies the other day--the guys are going to come over in a few weeks, and I'm going to make them Death by Chocolate to celebrate his one year anniversary. It was so cute because G said they were talking about Death by Chocolate the other day because one of them tried to make it and it didn't turn out right ; )

Now, I must say, when I first joined the Church I was a FABULOUS missionary--I told everyone about the Gospel. What has happened to me--why am I so scared. I have been giving a lot of thought to what President Uchtdorf said. To paraphrase--would I really rather pull my handcart across the prairies than open my mouth and share with my friends (or even strangers) something about what I believe. What if my friends, Janice and Daryl had been afraid to tell me? Where would Stephen and I be today??? And believe me I lived a lifestyle TOTALLY OPPOSITE to what I believe today so I'm pretty sure they weren't sure what my reaction would be, but they knew I NEEDED IT IN MY LIFE so they opened their mouths. And believe me, If I saw me on the street then I would have thought--there is no way in the world SHE will EVER listen or accept.

So for me this is a day where I am filled with so much gratitude.

13 comments:

Lana said...

what a great anniversary day!!!

Garden of Egan said...

Such a beautiful story!

Yes you do have a great testimony and share it in each of your posts! Thats why I love coming here so much.

carolyne b said...

Happy baptism birthday Yvonne. I keep on thinking (wrote it on my blog too so I won't forget) now that we have been so richly blessed with a Temple we really need to stand up and share the Gospel.
Everytime I go to the Temple in Regina its full.... full to the brim with brothers and sisters who feel, see and know what I know. And the spirit tesifies to me that we need to make sure our Temple here in Winnipeg is full at every session. To do marriages, and babtisms, and endowments. And the only way to do that is to share, our love for the Savior and the Gospel which has been restored.
Elder Rob is doing his part with those in Idaho and here at home. I wonder how his friends feel when instead of staying in Winnipeg he went to Utah for a year and now has devoted 2 years to the Lord..... missionary moment there....

Heffalump said...

Beautiful post!
You have given a wonderful gospel legacy to your family and generations to come as well!

Neal said...

Very cool post...way to go!

Tori said...

Yay!!! Happy anniversary day!! I love your testimony.

On your 21 yr anniversary I was in labor with Tristan. haha
Love you!

Klin said...

"Not all of them have embraced everything we believe, and that is their choice, but that hasn't changed the way we feel about them. They are wonderful people and I love them all so very much."

I would just like to say, "Amen."

Doran & Jody said...

Great post!
Sounds just like my life.

My brother is in Pocatello!!
His son is leaving on his mission next month.

He should go see them!

Valerie said...

Happy Anniversary! I believe April 6 is one of the best days of the year...

My parents are converts as well and I shudder to think what my life would be if they hadn't taken that leap and joined the Church. Like you, it has blessed our family tremendously. I'm very grateful for that choice they made!

Lei said...

You are so awesome. thanks for sharing that. And thanks for reading my little photography tips! I hope they are helpful. I know you like to take pictures! :)

Natalie said...

Happy Anniversary. What a great day and what a great legacy you are leaving for your children.

Sheri said...

Happy Anniversary! What a great day to be baptized. You are an amazing lady who shares the gospel everyday by living the way you do and being who you are!!

ShEiLa said...

Thank you for sharing.

Love you Yvonne.

ToOdLeS.