Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Photo Challenge--Day 4

Well, today's photo could be a little tricky. A PICTURE OF A SCAR AND HOW IT GOT THERE.

It reminds me of that scene in Jaws when Quint, Hooper and Brody were on the boat and talking about their scars and how they got each one of them. I love when Hooper points to a scar on his chest and says, "Mary Ellen Moffatt...She broke my heart."

I have lots of scars, but I thought I'd share this one--next to the one on my left wrist from a huge jug of kool aid, it's probably the easiest to see--and one I care to share ; ) It's my right knee.

I'm certainly grateful that this knee doesn't give me grief--actually, it's the other one that has been causing me all the trouble lately.

The explanation will be a little long. I got it during my senior year in high school. It was related to something that happened during gym. I loved gym and did very well. We took swimming, golf, football, basketball, tennis, you name it we did it. My favorite was field hockey (not ice hockey, I grew up in California). No, it wasn't a fight--although would have been a fun story to tell, eh ; ) One term we had to jump on the trampoline. (For the life of me, I can't remember what we were learning??? Anyway, I was little apprehensive. I had a very young teacher and when I got on and started jumping, something gave out and my knees went inward and hit the mat. It hurt. She didn't want to hear me complain and told me to get up and start jumping again. I tried and was in so much pain, and the same thing happened again. Fortunately, class was over and off I went. Went to the doctor who examined me and moved my knee around and immediately asked, "when would you like to schedule surgery?" I had torn the cartilage in my knee. (I loved walking into that little teacher and handing her the note from my doctor excusing me from gym ; )The surgery they performed back in 1969 was a lot different than what they would do today. I was in the hospital for a while and when I came out was on crutches for about 6 weeks.

It never stopped us from getting a trampoline, or our kids enjoying it


It has brought many hours of enjoyment and laughter, but you won't catch me on it.


It never seemed to matter how cold it was outside--everyone LOVED jumping.

Even the little ones were FEARLESS.



And some have been a whole lot more fearless than others.

SIDENOTE: Our weather has been INCREDIBLE. Most of the time I have to watch the weather channel because I don't want to go out too early because it's TOO COLD--now I have to watch so I can get out there before it gets TOO WARM.



7 comments:

Natalie said...

OUCH!!!!!!!
Well at least you have a battle wound to talk about with the rest of everyone.

Connie said...

How many times do we tell others to just get up and keep going when they've hurt themselves? How many times do we tell ourselves that? I don't really know the answer but I bet your teacher felt a little sheepish when she realized your injury.
I don't get on the trampoline either...unless I've visited the bathroom just before jumping! (If you catch my drift)

Cherie said...

That is really quite the scar. I am glad you were able to get it fixed with no repercussions - especially now that you are a runner extrordinaire!!!!!

We love the trampoline too!!

Heffalump said...

Ouch!
I bet that experience scarred your teacher a bit too!

gigi said...

Yeah, I caught Connie's drift, I always go potty first.

Glad you are okay and you have a very scary scar!

Yeah for great weather!

ShEiLa said...

Quite the story and photo of ONE of your scars... and I totally agree that the majority of kids are fearless.

I have a scar on my right knee... bumped into an arm rest at the UNLV Thomas and Mack Center in Vegas... the arm rest (uncovered metal) sliced through my jeans and tore open my leg. After transported from there to the ER luckily as we burst through the doors I was greeted by a friendly smile (a nurse friend) and I got the best treatment EVER.

ToOdLeS.

Sheri said...

Ouch!! I don't venture on trampolines myself!! I am so jealous of your weather!1 I feel like we live in Oregon!!