Friday, May 20, 2011

Running Update


I don't feel like doing much today because I'M PRETTY SORE. I ran my longest run thus far and my body is feeling the effects. So I have to ask, those of you who run and have little ones at home, HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU COME HOME AFTER A LONG RUN AND RUN AFTER THEM????

Let me say it again I LOVE TO RUN. It makes me feel so good while I'm running. I always laugh when I drive the road that I ran earlier that day and realize OH MY GOODNESS THAT REALLY IS A LONG, LONG WAY.

My run today was 18 km--I decided to run a little further and ended up going 18 1/2 km. It was a long, slow run, and I took it very slow. I tried very hard to keep my heart rate down, but unfortunately a couple of times I went a little too hard. My body is definitely feeling the effects.

I smiled when I passed a lady and she said, "Way to go". I appreciated the encouragement. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I passed a couple of women walking and one of them said to me, "You are our hero."

So much of what I'm learning can be likened to life
  • I can do hard things--getting ready for this half marathon is hard but I will not give up. Sometimes life is hard, but IT IS DEFINITELY WORTH IT.
  • I am NEVER ALONE and I know on race day, there will be about lots of us "pressing forward". The bottom line is I know that Heavenly Father is always there and that knowledge will help me keep moving. I know I will be praying--not to win, just to finish.
  • Perseverance is necessary. There have been many days when I didn't feel like going out and running, but I knew I had to train if I wanted to reach my goal. Ralph Waldo Emerson said: “That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased.” I have seen and felt that happen. When we have a goal in life, we just need to forge ahead.
  • Preparation is key. To get ready for this half-marathon, I've been using an 18 week training schedule and I have been very diligent in following it. There is so much we can do every day to help us "prepare" for our days--especially those tough ones. I can't say enough about the value of prayer and scripture study--they are like my training schedule.
Race day is 3 weeks from tomorrow!!!!

By the way, I laugh every time I go to log onto my Garmin connect account to log in my run, and the log-in page says "21,586,706 pounds of candy burned" and I have to ask myself: GEE I WONDER HOW MANY POUNDS DID THE OTHER PEOPLE BURN ; ) Some of the other things on the log-in page are: 605,094 gallons of sweat produced, or 914,483,831 miles logged in which is equivalent to 36,724 times around the earth.

Have a great weekend.

10 comments:

Heffalump said...

I think it's awesome that you are sticking with your running goals! It's inspiring!

Natalie said...

Sorry you're sore, but you are awesome to be running this 1/2 marathon. You really are.

I love this quote so much. In fact, I'm going to copy it and put it up somewhere where I can read it.

You are an inspiration to me.

Hugs.

Randi said...

I can't wait to hug you at the finish line!!

Garden of Egan said...

You are my hero too!
I think about your hard work every time I do my little slog. (slow jog)

I don't know how young moms do it even without the exercise. Maybe that's why young moms are the ones having the kiddos.

Connie said...

Yvonne, you're a hero to many people, and not just for your running! So if I am figuring it right, you ran about 11.5 miles? Is that right? Wow! I am so impressed.
This morning I ran 6.1 miles. That is the farthest I have ever run and I was feeling pretty good about that! the weird thing is I can visualize myself running farther but it will take a while to build my base. I still have 13 weeks until my half-marathon. You're right about training. It is exciting!
Hope you're feeling a little less sore today.

Cherie said...

It makes me sore just thinking about you running that far - Ha Ha.
You are truly awesome and I always love hearing about your progress and how much you love to run!

Sheri said...

you are my hero too!! Way to go!

Heidi said...

You are definitely my hero;) I am sooooooooooooooooooooo amazed and just love to brag about you and how hard you have worked and all the amazing things you do and accomplish because you are sooooo diligent and never give up!!! You truly inspire ALL around you--especially me;) I LOVE YOU MOM!!! DANIEL AND I CAN'T WAIT TO CHEER YOU ON!!!!

Lei said...

Good luck, and keep.it.up! As for your question, it is tough... I save those long runs for weekends when my hubby is home and can give me some down time to recover. :)

Doran & Jody said...

So jealous AND happy for you!!!
I can't wait to see you!