Monday, June 20, 2011

A Great Trip

Yes, I wrote about the half-marathon, but my trip to Utah involved so many more GREAT experiences.

The day after I arrived, Brent and I drove down to St. George. Our former Mission President and his wife are serving in the St. George Visitor's Center. It was wonderful to see them and spend time with them. By the way, if you are ever at a Temple Visitors Center, be sure and take the time to see "Our Heavenly Father's Plan" and I can't remember if the rest of the title is "for His Children" or "for our Happiness". Whichever, It is wonderful. Brent and I also went to the temple. I had to make sure we got this picture--and I wanted to put it with this one taken of the two of us during our Spring Break trip in 1994.

The next day Brent and I went to see The Diary of Anne Frank. Brent has enjoyed his work on the set of the play and it was so fun to see the production that he had worked on. Earlier that same day we had lunch with Macy, G-Man, and little L.

Heidi and Daniel had been in Disneyland and I was glad when the four of us could go out to dinner. We went to Zupas--I love their salads. After dinner, we went to see X-Men. (I had already seen it, but none of them had seen it, and I enjoyed it so didn't mind seeing it again.

On Friday Heidi and I went to the temple. It was lovely to have time with her there. The she took me to meet up with a couple of friends for lunch at Applebee's. I always have such a great time when I get to spend time with these ladies--Connie and Natalie. I have grown to love them and appreciate so much their testimonies and their great examples.

On my half-marathon blog post I posted pictures of our dinner at Zupas and ice cream at Coldstone, but I didn't post this picture of G-Man. He is such a cutie. I have a collection of pictures of this boy that I'm saving for a slideshow one day ; ) I also didn't write about going to Deseret Book with Neal, Macy, and Baby L. I love going there, but always buy too much and that makes it tough when I go to head back across the border ; ) One of the books that I bought on this trip was one by Wendy Watson Nelson entitled, "Change Your Questions Change Your Life" It is a powerful book and I have shared many parts with Allan.

On Sunday, I was so glad that Neal and Macy and the kids came over to Bev's and we were able to have dinner together. The highlight for me was sitting on the swing and rocking little baby L to sleep. Oh I could have kept her and snuggled her all night.

I also laughed when Brent and G-Man were in the basement playing. Brent was so cute with him, and when I saw them playing in this little truck, I had to grab my camera.

On Monday I kind of hung around the house. Monday night Bev, Brent and I went to see 17 Miracles. I loved it. I was so glad I had a chance to see it. I love the stories of the pioneers and this one was so beautifully done. I don't know how many tissues I used.

Tuesday Bev and I went to the temple and then I headed to Salt Lake to meet up with my friends the W's who are serving a mission at the Family History Center. I love these two. Pat is one of my best friends. She and Dennis took Stephen and I under their wing when we were new to the Church. Dennis was SP and Allan was one of his counselors. Dennis was the one Allan told when he was going to ask me out on our first date, and he responded, "I think that will make Pat very happy."

We went to lunch and then I walked around the grounds for awhile and then met up with some other friends. I haven't seen these two ladies for awhile and love when I come to Utah and have a chance to see them.

On Wednesday Brent had his surgery. He did fine and is recovering nicely. He brought with him a couple of edited versions of some movies, so I got a chance to see "127 Hours"--can I just say I would have died in that hole, "The Fighter"--acting was absolutely superb, and even brought home "The Kings Speech"--what a great movie. Sure glad that boy loves his movies ; )

It's always hard for me to say goodbye to my kids. I love them and enjoy spending time with them. But modern technology sure makes it easier to keep in touch.

I didn't manage to get to all of my favorite restaurants on this trip--never made it to Cafe Rio or Magelby's Fresh (love their Strawberry French Toast and their delicious syrup, but since Macy gave me the recipe for the buttermilk syrup, I didn't feel as bad ; )

Sidenote: While I was in Utah I received a photo CD from our little Elder. I love this picture.
Now, why do I love it??? Because when he was little he had quite the fascination with what he called SSSSSCHNAKES.

9 comments:

ShEiLa said...

YOU have the BEST travel posts EVER!!!! So glad that you take the time to fill us in on the things you enjoy most. I love your photos! I can't believe that you drove to St.George... you amaze me. I am so GLAD that you had a GREAT trip!!!

ToOdLeS.

Cherie said...

Great post! It was fun to see Connie in there - she is awesome!
I love the past and present pictures of you and Brent and of you Elder - the snake not so much - Yikes!!

It is fun to be able to travel around and visit your kids I bet - You always seem to have such a great time!

Connie said...

You had a full week! It's good that you fill it with family and church and friends! I wish I hadn't left my camera home so I could have posted about our lunch.
Both pictures of you and Brent in front of the temple are priceless!

Tell me that snake Elder Robb is holding when he was younger is a rubber snake!

Natalie said...

What a wonderful trip you had. I loved seeing the pictures and reading about your adventures. You sure do a good job of re-capping.

Glad the surgery went well and recovery is going well.

Oh my gosh, I have sooo many snake stories from my boys. :)

Loved seeing you.

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I'm from St. George, and it made me homesick to see the temple where I grew up, and where I was married. LOVE the pics, as always!

Heffalump said...

I love that you so thouroughly enjoy your visits with family!

Neal said...

That was an ACTION-PACKED trip, now that you write it all down. Great pic of G and Brent in the blue truck...awesome.

Garden of Egan said...

It looks like such an exciting and fun time.
G Man is darling!

Love all your pictures.

It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall with your lunch with Connie. She is a riot!

Valerie said...

As always, a trip filled with fun and family! I'm sure it was wonderful attending the temple with your children!

P.S. Max's bro lives right across the street from the St. Geo temple!