Sunday, June 12, 2011

I DID IT

I completed the race and am so happy.

It was the perfect day for the race.

Brent and I were up dark and early--2:30 a.m. Yes, that does say 2:30 a.m. I guess they were trying to get people to take the early buses so they were holding a raffle on the first ten buses to leave the mall. Brent really wanted to be on one of those buses so he could have a chance to win the $100 towards a pair of running shoes. We got on the bus at 3:45 and guess what--I WON.

When we got up to the canyon, it was a little cool. They had fires to help us stay warm. We were there a long, long time--about an hour and a half before the race began.

As the time got closer I got more and more nervous--excited but nervous. Brent found his pacing group and I got ready and we were off. I felt pretty good and thought I could maintain a pace that would allow me to cross the finish line at under 3 hours.

The first two miles were okay. At mile 2, I stood in line to use the port-o-potty then grabbed my gatorade and a banana and was on my way. The line at that one wasn't too bad.

I was feeling pretty good and was still ahead of my virtual partner.

The next few miles were good. I was in a groove and doing fine. About an hour into the race I got a text from Brent that he was at Mile 6. I knew he was doing great and was going to hit his goal. Macy got a picture of him as he came through the canyon. Isn't that cute!!!

The scenery was so beautiful. I really need to go up this week and snap a few pictures because I didn't have a camera with me while I was running.

I LOVED having my playlist. As I ran and the different songs that reminded me of different family members were playing it was so helpful. It was like having them with me saying, YOU CAN DO IT.

When I hit mile 6 and saw the port-o-potty I thought I better stop. BIG MISTAKE. The lines were long and I wasted a good 8 minutes there ; ( Had a nice conversation with a lovely girl from Draper who served a mission in Texas.)

Then I was on my way again. When I neared mile 8 I looked over and saw Macy. It was so fun to see her--she snapped some pictures and I gave her a hug. Then I was on my way.

It was so fun to pass people cheering everyone along the way. That felt so good.

When I hit about mile 10 or so--it hit me. I started to tear up and realized I'M GOING TO DO THIS. I WAS SO EXCITED. That may sound so silly, but for me this was a big accomplishment. I told myself DON'T CRY, but I was so happy.

Then I looked up and saw Heidi. She came to run the last mile and a half with me. It was so great to have her there. She kept encouraging me. We looked over and saw Neal, Macy, and G-Man. I was so excited to see G-Man--he had the cutest little grin on his face. It was so funny because shortly before that his little playlist song from High School Musical came on.

We could see the finish line but it sure seemed like it was not getting any closer. I was pretty tired. Heidi left the course and I ran in alone. They gave me my little medal and I headed off to get some powerade and a cremesicle. Then it hit me--I started to get a tad shaky and felt a little sick. I headed for the grass and sat down--I really couldn't stretch because I was afraid I was going to get sick or pass out. As I sat there I looked up and saw a friendly face--my bloggy friend, Jody. So GREAT to see her. She was supposed to run the race but had hurt her foot.

And here is a picture of Brent and I with our medals. Yeah, I look sweaty and yucky, but WHO CARES. Brent had set a goal to finish in 2 hours and 10 minutes and he completed it in 2 hours. I wanted to do it in under 3 and had hoped for 2 hours and 45 minutes--did it in 3 hours.

Came home and showered and tried to take a little nap, but I couldn't get to sleep.

That night we went out to Zupas for dinner. So fun. Neal treated us all to dinner--I have such sweet kids ; ) Yes, I wore my medal. Randi had sent me a text earlier telling me I could wear it for 24 hours and it wouldn't be at all weird. Thanks, Randi; )
It was so fun to see her at the Marriott on Friday when we went to pick up our race packets. (I even had a chance to meet some of the other ladies from my fitness challenge.)

I was so excited to reward myself with Cold Stone. Thank you to Heidi and Daniel who treated us to Cold Stone.

And cute Brent had some, too.

So, would I do it again???? YOU BET I WOULD.


16 comments:

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

WAHOOOOO! Way to go, you did awesome!!! It's addicting, isn't it??!!

Lana said...

whoo hooo!!!!

Cherie said...

OK I am laughing that you stopped at the potty and had a conversation with a girl from Draper - You are too cute!!

Yayyyyy for finishing. I love all the pictures and your happy smiling face!! Good job!

Garden of Egan said...

Congratulations!!!
I am so totally proud of you.

That is an accomplishment to be proud of!

Sheri said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you! You almost inspire me to run!! :)

ShEiLa said...

Yay!!! YOU did it! I swear you look like you are getting younger... oh my heck you look great!!!! Sweat and all. What a fun thing to accomplish.

ToOdLeS.

Natalie said...

YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH! You did it! I can't believe you ran all that way. You are so awesome.

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great surprise to win the raffle. That is so great and so much fun. I'm so glad you won. Really, really glad. What a fun bonus.

Melissa said...

Yvonne - You are such an inspiration! I'm so excited for you! And I love that you had play lists from members of your family to keep you moving. You are so awesome! :D

So... when's the next race??

Abaker said...

Congrats Grandma, you did a great job! And I'm glad you wore your medal around afterward! Everyone should know how awesome you are!

Deena said...

You are awesome! I love that picture of you around mile 8. You're actually smiling. Congrats on making your time and your new shoe money.

Nancy Face said...

Hooray hooray hooray!!!

Connie said...

You didn't just cross the finish line still standing but you did it in style! Awesome job! I'm so happy for you! I love all the pics. You're looking strong in each picture. Too bad we have to stop to use the potty along the way.

That's so exciting that you won the $100.00 gift certificate.

Hooray for Brent! What a handsome guy!

mindyluwho said...

Way to go Yvonne!!! I am so inspired by you! When I ran the Ragnar I got teary...but then had to make myself stop crying because it was making it hard to breathe! I am running a half in July out in Utah and am up to 8.5 miles. I'm doing it with my sister and am so excited to run with her!

Heffalump said...

That's awesome! I'm so proud of you!

Valerie said...

You are amazing! What a GREAT job! And you looked darn cute out there!

Way to go, Yvonne!!

What's next? ;-)

Gina said...

So impressed with your stamina! I hope to be as strong as you are one day!