Friday, July 29, 2011

Photo Challenge--Day 17

First of all, let me apologize if any of you who had this post come up on your reader last night. I was working on it and accidentally hit publish instead of save.

Today's photo challenge--A picture of your most treasured item. I have many treasures--28 of them that mean more to me than anything. They are my husband, children and grandchildren and spouses and my little great grandson. They are definitely TREASURES but they are not "ITEMS".

After giving this a lot of thought, I decided one of my most treasured items would have to be this--my wedding ring.

I usually write a post about Allan and my first date, which took place July 24, 1982. This year we celebrated in Minot and then driving home. It was a most poignant way to celebrate.

And then on August 17, 1982, I wrote this in my journal: "I can't believe it has happened--after all these years of waiting I am getting married--October 23rd. I am so happy. I always knew it would be exciting and I would be happy but this is a different kind of happiness...there has been such a peace."

And, of course, I have to include a picture from one of my bridal showers.

Allan asked me what kind of diamond I liked and if I liked gold or white gold. He gave it to me at one of our favorite restaurants called "The Chart House".

And on the 23rd of October we were married. And in all those years I don't think I have taken my ring off except when I have gone into the hospital for surgery, and they have asked me to remove it. I have had one scary incident with it--In October 1999 when I was on the airplane flying to Calgary to meet up with Allan so we could fly to California because Les had passed away, I was sick when I looked down at my hand and realized my diamond had come out of the setting. I was already upset and this just added to it all. When I landed in Calgary I called my friend Joanne who was at the house watching the kids and asked her, "PLEASE DO NOT VACUUM WHILE I AM GONE." If you can believe it she loaded up the kids in the car and drove to the airport and searched everywhere. When I met up with Allan at the airport and told him what happened he put his arms around me and said, "It's just a ring." No, he wasn't making light of its significance, he just wanted me to remember it could be replaced. We prayed that if it were possible we could find it. Amazingly enough a few days later I was getting into the coin part of my wallet and was shocked because THERE IT WAS. The only thing I could think that had happened was when I went to get a luggage cart at the airport, I pulled a loonie out of my wallet and the diamond must have gotten caught in the clasp and popped out, but fortunately for me, it popped INTO the coin part. I felt so incredibly grateful and blessed.

In his recent talk at General Conference, Elder Richard G. Scott said this: It is so rewarding to be married. Marriage is wonderful. In time you begin to think alike and have the same ideas and impressions. You have times when you are extremely happy, times of testing, and times of trial, but the Lord guides you through all of those growth experiences together. No, our life is not trouble free, but there is no one I'd rather share it with.

Now, as Allan said, "it is just a ring", but it holds great significance to me. I love so much the man who gave it to me along with his heart and to whom I have given my heart.

14 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I am happy you cherish your treasures.

My sister lost her wedding ring at a gas station. She took it off to wash her hands... forgot... went back... and it was gone.

Lately my fingers have been swelling really BAD. (part of my disease) So I can't wear my rings very often. It is driving me crazy. One time I was stung on my ring finger and a jeweler had to cut my ring off... don't want that again... so I walk around with naked fingers.

ToOdLeS.

Cherie said...

I recently had a friend who's 3 year old flushed her wedding ring down the toilet. Talk about mixed emotions. She too realized it is just a ring.

I feel the same way as you. I have had many friends "trade up" or change their rings but I treasure my ring because it is the one we could afford to buy, it is the one he put on my finger when we got engaged and sealed, it is THE ring!! And, yes, it is just a ring but it means so very much :-D

I was holding my breath as I read the story of how you lost that diamond and I am so glad you found it - I would have felt the same way.

I love your memories - beautiful!

Chantel said...

My ring is also so important to me. I often look at it and feel so happy.

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I love that story!!! That is amazing that it ended up with your coins. I'm so glad you found it.

Deena said...

You have beautiful hands, Yvonne.

I love this post. I love that a little angel made sure that diamond fell into just the right place.

Heffalump said...

My wedding ring is important to me too, because of the emotional meaning behind it.

Neal said...

Cool story, Mom.

Sheri said...

I haven't been able to wear my ring in years. I so not know why we haven't had it resized?! Allan is lucky to have you!!

Natalie said...

You have BEAUTIFUL hands.

I'm so glad you found your ring. That is a blessing. What are the chances of it falling into your coin pocket?

Nancy Face said...

What a great story! :)

When I broke my wrist 16 years ago, my fingers swelled up badly and my wedding ring had to be cut off my hand. It made me sad not to be able to wear it for a while, but the jeweler fixed it up just like new!

Connie said...

A ring represents so much! No wonder it's one of your favorite "items". Love the picture of your rings. You have beautiful hands! It's amazing that the diamond fell in to your coin purse!

I too lost the diamond out of my ring while shoveling snow. I'd had the ring only a week when I decided to take off my glove and see if my ring sparkled brighter than the sparkling snow. It didn't because it was gone! I panicked and searched in the snow but couldn't find it. It was on the living room carpet!
20 years ago, I lost my entire ring. Andy bought me a gold band and instead of saying, "It's just a ring" he said, "if I have to replace this one, you'll be replaced!" He was just kidding - I think. :)

Lana said...

I am glad you found your diamond. You and Allan have such a sweet relationship, I appriciate reading about your love for him.

Garden of Egan said...

Such a great story.

Valerie said...

What a scary time and what a great story!! I'm so glad everything worked out!