Monday, July 4, 2011

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN


I am an American living in Canada. We have lived here for 15 years. Yesterday as I sat in Sacrament Meeting and we sang the closing hymn, "O Canada" the tears began filling in my eyes. I thought of my little Canadian Elder sitting in Idaho singing the National Anthem.

I love both countries. Yes, as the title of this post attest, I am very proud to be an American, but I love Canada, too. Would I ever give up my American citizenship--NEVER. I feel such pride whenever I see the American flag and when I have the opportunity to sing The National Anthem I cry. I truly am grateful I was born in the United States. I have wonderful memories of many 4th's of July in the U.S. One of my favorites would have to be a couple of years ago in Hawaii watching fireworks with the family. And last year I celebrated with these guys--guess Miss K had to work while I was in California waiting for this little girl to be born--hard to believe she'll be one in a couple of weeks ; )

Sidenote: On Friday we went to Bismarck to go to the temple. It was a wonderful experience--well, except for our border crossing because we sat for over 2 hours at the border. I found it kind of funny that it was Canada Day and yet all these cars were heading to the U.S.

It's so hard to believe that here it is July and there were a couple of places where the water was coming over the highway. This picture was taken when we were driving home on Saturday--on Friday as we were going through, the water was pouring over the road. In fact, on Friday the speed limit through this part was 25 mph.

We also smiled as we passed this community. Too bad they misspelled the name ; )

Sidenote #2: Can't believe it is already July. Seems impossible.

5 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Yesterday we stood and sang "The Star Spangled Banner" as the closing hymn in Sacrament Meeting, and I got so weepy I couldn't sing much of it!

After 3 hours of church I looked into the car mirror on the way home and saw the smudge-y mascara under my eyes. Why didn't anybody even tell me about it? Haha! :D

Connie said...

I too get choked up while singing patriotic songs. I think of how fortunate I am to be living in America.
I hope you're having a fantastic day!

Heffalump said...

As we sang The Star Spangled Banner in Sacrament meeting yesterday I loved that we were able to sing more than just the first verse. I think a lot of Americans are less familiar with the other verses of the song. I particularly enjoyed singing "And this be our motto 'In God is our trust'"

ShEiLa said...

Half of the year is over. :(
I can't believe it either.

Before you know it we will be facing the holidays straight on.

ToOdLeS.

Cherie said...

It always amazes me how teary eyed I become every 4th of July, especially singing the National Anthem! Patriotism is a strong emotion.
I am glad you feel it for both of your countries!
I love the first picture with both flags waving.

I had the opposite "Elder" experience as you, since my son served in Canada :-D

Happy July!