Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The College Drop Off

It seems like everyone is sending kids off to school. I remember sending my three youngest off to BYU. We love BYU. A trip to Utah is never complete unless we step foot on campus ; ) (Notice a very little Elder Rob off by himself ; )

I have to say we are not the only members of the Rob family who do this ; )

Ten Years Ago this week we took Heidi down to BYU for her first semester. I was very brave until we drove away, then the tears flowed. I knew it was hard on her so I didn't want to make it any harder by bawling. (I think she thought it was easy for me ; ) I remember telling her I hated that I was not going to be there for her first day of classes and so I was going to hire a photographer to follow her around and take pictures of her those first few days. (I really think she was a tad worried that I really would do that ; ) Here she is with her sister, Wendy.

















I was so excited for her to have the experience at BYU. It was not always easy for her and we were so proud of her when she graduated.

















And a few months after Brent returned from his mission, he headed to LDS Business College. He graduated there in April 2009


















He transferred to BYU. He loves it there and I am so glad. He is excited to start next week. And Heidi's husband, Daniel, will be starting next week, too.




















And then in 2009 we dropped our youngest off. He had a great experience in the dorms.
















I think knowing he had Heidi and Brent in Utah made the transition a lot easier.


















So this year I may not have any little ones at home heading off to school, but I have one still in college and one teaching school. As far as grandchildren--one in pre-school, two in elementary school, one a senior in high school, and 2 in college.

Sidenote: Last year when I was in Cali when baby Georgia was born, we went to a Giant's game. It was Georgia's first game. This year the family went back. They are some pretty diehard Giant's fans.

11 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I am feeling a bit detached when everybody talks the beginning of a school year....

But I am watching Maddy and Dante while they take Capri school shopping tomorrow.

ToOdLeS.

Heffalump said...

I will have two in high school this year. Both are a year ahead of their age group, so I am dreading the thought of sending them off to college in a few years when they won't even be 18.

Natalie said...

I am always so nostalgic when school starts. I loved it when my children were all little and at home. Now everyone is all grown up and leading their own lives.

And even though I didn't always teach, but was mostly home raising my children (which I loved), I always feel a little sad that I am not fixing up my own classroom and getting ready to teach a new year. I did love teaching.

Garden of Egan said...

So amazing.
The years fly.

I don't have anyone going to school. It makes me sad. There's so much excitement!

Sheri said...

College Drop off - now that will be hard!! i treally isn't hard for me to see my kids go to school, but that will be hard!! I am sure it will be here before I know it!!

Connie said...

I was so excited for my 4 grandchildren who all started baack to school today. I can't wait to talk to them to see how their day went. I have two of my own in college and a son-in-law that will be starting in January. This is a great time of year!

You have got some good looking kids. Love the pictures. I miss seeing Heidi this year! :(

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I can hardly even stand thinking about that right now, lol.

Cherie said...

We are BYU all the way in our family too! Both my husband and I went to BYU and our 3 oldest kids.
We love visiting campus.
I feel like it is just a really special place, very spiritual and very unique - Love BYU!!

We are also Giants fans (which I have probably told you before) from the Bay Area born and raised!!

Your family has it all going on (wink!!).

Melissa said...

I can't even think about college yet!! I struggled sending Spence to middle school this year :)

Doran & Jody said...

I am having "Sending Children Back-To-School" withdrawls. I haven't had children to send to school for years and it is so sad.

Yesterday I went to the store so I can get supplies to make my girls a Budget Book. I wanted to buy backpacks and lunch boxes and folders and......

Valerie said...

I think I know why I have such a hard time when the kids head back... not just the lonliness. It's because it's one more notch on their belt, one more year down and less time that I have with them. I like things staying just the way they are. But I need to let go -- my mom did and I'm very grateful that she did!!

This time next year you'll be sending Elder Rob back!! So it's only a short reprieve!! :)