Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No One Does It All By Himself

First of all can I just say how incredibly frustrating it is when you get a post all typed and go in to fix something and accidentally wipe it out ; (

I have a song on my iPod with the words "No man does it all by himself"--and each time I hear it, I'm reminded how true that is. On Sunday I went with my husband as he ordained a gentleman in our Stake. The ordination was wonderful. This man is going to do a wonderful job in his new calling. I loved that he was surrounded by family and a couple of friends who are more like family. I was able to take a picture of the group and wish I could post it here, but I didn't get their permission, so I don't feel right doing that. His three children were there, and it was so sweet that his mom and his mother in law were both there, too. They invited us for dinner after the ordination and it was wonderful to sit and visit with them. They have a great family. Heidi and Brent went to school with their two boys. This man's BIL introduced me to his daughter (who currently lives in Iowa) and it was fun to compare notes with her regarding the Utah Valley Half Marathon--which she ran, too. The Church really does make the world very small. I know it meant the world to him to have his family there for this very special occasion.

I truly know I could never do any of this alone. Next to knowing that God is there and I can always count on Him, I'm so incredibly grateful for the wonderful man who I'm able to be on this journey with--I watch all that he does and I am so amazed. He has such a great attitude about everything. We have been blessed with a wonderful family. I appreciate the fact that the kids care about one another. Each week I send an update from Elder Rob's e-mails and I know it means a lot to him that they care what he is doing. Not all of them served missions, but that doesn't matter, they understand how important it is that Elder Rob is doing this right now and they are supportive.

I'm so grateful for the example of Elder Rob: I'm always so touched with the way he ends his e-mails. To Tank: "Love you and thank you for all you do and your inspiring stories and insights." To me: "Know that I love you and appreciate all you do for me and your great example." He is such a sweetheart and I love hearing from him each week.

One of my favorite scenes in the finale of Lost was when Jack's dad tells him, "No one does it alone, Jack. You needed all of them, and they needed you." I so need my family and my friends and am so grateful for them.

I want to share with you a couple of photos of my ancestors--both pictures are from my mother's side of the family. I think they are such fun pictures--this first one is my great great grandmother (she is my grandfather's grandmother.

The second one is my great great grandparents. They are my grandmother's grandparents.

As I've been spending more time doing my genealogy lately, all of these people are so much more real to me. I wish I had known them, but it has been fun to get to know a little about them. I know that my ancestors contributed to who my mom and dad were.

(By the way, at this point I don't want to share the info I found out because I need to verify it first. )

Sidenote: No running for a week--trying to get my foot to heal before my Labor Day weekend Half Marathon ; (



7 comments:

Natalie said...

I love the pictures. What nice looking people they are. I love to see pictures of ancestors of someone I know. It's just special somehow.

I know what you mean about not doing it alone. I totally agree with what you said.

Hope your foot heals soon.

Chantel said...

The world is truly a small place. It is amazing all the networks we develop and how ther interlink. My husband served his mission in Iowa and while there met people who had family from his home ward.

Connie said...

My great grandparents have a picture that looks exactly like your last picture! It must have been the style. I should find it and post it.
Love this post.

I hope your foot heals quickly. I did 10.8 miles on Monday. My left knee hurt all day and even kept me awake that night. It's fine today and I did a 5K but that's all. I think I'll wait until next Saturday for my half marathon before I run any farther than 4 miles.

Cherie said...

That IS so frustrating to write a post and delete it. I did that to my blog a few years back too - UGH!

You have a wonderful family Yvonne - I love to hear about all the ordinations and sweet stories about people in your lives, and your Elder!! Idaho is lucky to have him!!!

Those pictures are soooo neat - The first one the outfit or the headpiece looks almost Spanish?? Very neat.

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I'm so sorry you lost your post--that is SO frustrating.

Those pictures are so neat! They look really good too--they must be in great condition.

I hope your foot is feeling better soon! It's hard to have to not run while you're training.

Sheri said...

I know I would not be able to do it alone! We weren't meant too! Your family is amazing in large part to you and Allen and your efforts!!

gigi said...

What awesome pictures and great post and as I read I felt the spirit and I know for sure I could never do it all alone. So grateful for all the help I get from many sources.
Have a blessed weekend!