Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Photo Challenge--Day 19

Today's Photo Challenge--SOMETHING YOU WISH YOU COULD CHANGE



Sometimes I think I do get caught up in thinking it's all about me. Let me explain: I am not a huge Oprah fan, but I did watch last May when Sarah Ferguson was on. I'm so glad I did because I had my very own Aha moment. Yes, as Dr. Phil told her she was "addicted to approval and acceptance and you will do anything to get it", I felt he was describing me. I was blown away because as Sarah talked about her "desperate behavior", I realize I do those same things. I worry all the time that I've offended people and they don't like me and I want to fix it. I loved when Oprah told her the world doesn't revolve around her. I laughed because I thought, I guess that means that I should realize it doesn't revolve around me either ; ) That can't be right, CAN IT???

I wondered if perhaps this is a post that should go on my private NEVER TO BE READ BY ANYONE BUT ME BLOG, but decided so what. Perhaps there is someone else who is struggling with these same issues. I get hurt when I send an e-mail and after a week or so it isn't answered--oh, let's face it, I don't understand why someone can't answer it in a couple of days. I guess I think that's what e-mail is for--quick answers. Therein lies my problem--I don't have the answers--sure wish I did. I just know that I will continue to work on letting go of my addictive behavior. I will continue to love my family and strive to be there for them. I will do all I can to love and accept them as they are in hopes that they can love and accept me for who I am--warts and all ; )

I will TRY VERY HARD to remember that everyone doesn't have to do things the way I think they should. Everyone has their own way to do things and that is okay. I will repeat that to myself in hopes that it will sink in.

SIDENOTE: I signed up to do a half-marathon in Indiana. I'm excited because that means I get a chance to see Wendy and Tony, and Nancy and her gang. It will be fun. Well, not sure how fun the half-marathon will be but hopefully my foot will be good enough so I can run it in a good time.





10 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I am glad that this went on your public blog... I think we are cut from the same cloth.

Tony always says, you know what your problem is? YOU want others to treat you... like you treat others. YOU want feedback... you want to feel like you are loved the way you love others.

I guess its not really a problem... or is it? Addicted to approval and acceptance must not be the most healthy aspect of my life.

I can totally relate to the e.mail example. I have the same problem with texts. Some of my texts 'in my own mind' require a response. But even my own children have a different perspective... they see it more of information that doesn't need a response or acknowledgment.

I guess I am learning just like you... that it's not all about me.
I also am way grateful for families... small groups to worry about. Can you imagine keeping up with EVERYONE??? The thought wears me out.

ToOdLeS.

Heffalump said...

I think you are a lovely person! I'm sure most of us spend a lot of time thinking the world revolves around us. One of the great lessons of life is learning that it doesn't. I'm still working on that one!

Natalie said...

Great post.

I too think you are a lovely person.

Cherie said...

I did not see that episode of Oprah but as you described it I realized I am the same way.
I never thought about it as life revolving around me (ha ha) I always thought about it as being super polite and sensitive to others and expecting the same back (You know the golden rule).
Maybe I can relate to this more than I knew.'
I will have to think about this - It is a totally different view isn't it!

gigi said...

I need to see if I can find that episode and watch it! I too must have those same addictions. What an eye opener! Thanks friend.

Garden of Egan said...

Thanks for sharing this.
Also thanks for sharing your blog.
You are amazing and I enjoy learning so much from you.

Sheri said...

I think we all have times in life when it revolves around us!! THat is why it is important for us to take opportunities to serve (as you always do) so that we can step outside of ourselves. Let's face it, we all know alot more about what is revolving around us than we do about others, so of course we sometimes get caught up in the life revolves around me thing. Thankfully, I have teenagers and I am constantly reminded that life revolves around them, not me!!;

Nancy Face said...

I hope the half marathon will go great for you and that your foot will be strong!

I sometimes get foot pain, and I run less than two miles at a time...so I never have any desire to run longer distances!

Nancy Face said...

I'm one of those people who is LOUSY at e-mailing! Mostly because I do "hunt and peck" typing and it takes forever to write a paragraph, so I save it for later when I have more time, and then I forget! FOOLISH!

Valerie said...

I frequently tell my children that people aren't thinking about them as often as they think they are.

Does that make sense? It's a hard lesson to learn.

I think that we all struggle with wanting people to like us and accept us. You worded it perfectly!!