Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Be Grateful

A few weeks ago my friend, Sheri, had this on her blog:

"Saw a friend post something she had seen on pinterest... it read - 'What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?"

Interesting thing to think about. She challenged us to be more grateful in our prayers--I decided to take the challenge, and in my prayers I have tried to recognize how blessed I am and to express more gratitude to my Heavenly Father. It has really made a difference. A grateful heart is a wonderful thing to have. I have so much for which to be grateful:

I am so blessed to have a wonderful family--to be a wife and a mother I know how truly blessed I am to have my sweet husband by my side and to know that we are an eternal family. As well I am incredibly grateful for our children and grandchildren and our little great grandson who I happened to see this past weekend. Here is little X with his Uncle Josh. I appreciate so very much that our children who are married have wonderful spouses who have added so much to our family.

I have a strong body--yeah, a few aches and pains every so often, but I think that as you age you are suppose to have an ache or a pain once in awhile ; ) (BTW, when I was in my local running store I was visiting with the manager and she told me she is running a half marathon with her 84 year old aunt. WOW was I impressed. I'm grateful that I have worked at being stronger and healthier. I feel pretty good.

I am an American As the ten year anniversary of 9/11 approaches, I know our country (and our world) have changed a great deal since that day. I am reminded of the feelings of heartache and fear I felt that day, as well as the courage that was exhibited by so many. I love my country. I am grateful as well to live in Canada--such a beautiful country with so many wonderful people.

We live in an incredible world--I have been blessed to be able to travel to so many places. I feel so very fortunate that I have been able to do that and am so grateful that this world has been created for us to enjoy. Next week Allan and I will have the opportunity to travel to Switzerland to visit with our beautiful granddaughter and her husband. We are so excited about the trip. I stole this picture off of Neal's blog--I can't wait to take one like that with me and Allan ; )

I know who I am--who I have always been. And because I have not always known that, I understand what an amazing blessing that is.

I am not alone--I have a loving Father in Heaven. Yes, I know He is the Father to all of us, but I'm incredibly grateful because I KNOW I AM HIS DAUGHTER. I also know that because I know we are all His children, that must always have an impact on the way I treat others--sometimes I am not as kind as I should be (I'm ashamed to say), but I'm working at doing better. As well, I know that with that knowledge that we are His children comes responsibility to share that knowledge with others.

I am grateful for the kindness of others. I received another e-mail with a picture from a family where Elder Rob is serving. I love that there are people in Idaho feeding our son ; )

I can read. That is such a blessing. I do find that some times I get down on myself because I don't know as much as other people, but I know I haven't put forth the effort that other people have to get degrees. In spite of that I am grateful for what I have learned. I have spent some time in the School of Hard Knocks and have learned some valuable lessons.

Right along with my gratitude that I can read is my gratitude for the scriptures. I LOVE reading and studying the scriptures. I want to understand things and am grateful for the opportunity to spend time reading and pondering and seeking to figure out how to apply them.

I am so grateful for laughter--it truly is such a wonderful gift. I love this quote--"An optimist laughs to forget, a pessimist forgets to laugh". Sometimes we take things far too seriously. I'm glad I can laugh at myself and believe me I give myself plenty of reason to laugh ; )

There are lots of other things, but I think I will stop there. Life is great. I am blessed and I hope my Heavenly Father knows how grateful I am.

I do know I would be so disappointed if this was not part of my life. I LOVE CHOCOLATE

11 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful post! I love all the things you are thankful for.

Is Elder Rob by chance serving at the LDS booth at the Eastern Idaho State Fair? I was sorta looking for him yesterday.

gigi said...

I loved that saying!! Think I'll take that challenge too!

Your thankful list looks a lot like mine! Thank you.

Heffalump said...

I think everyone could benefit from a little extra gratitude in life! Thanks for making me think!

ShEiLa said...

The statement sure brings pause... Wow! WE had better be grateful every day... just in case.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

Wow! Sheri's quote is food for thought! (Almost as good as chocolate)
We have so many things to be grateful for. So many of the things I take for granted make life so much more fun, meaningful, and easier. Like the song says, "we don't know what we've got til it's gone."
I need to make a gratitude list.

Sheri said...

Great post Yvonne, yet again! And here you took the challenge and commented on it before I even have!! So I will start with the fact that I am grateful fro friends like you!!

Brent said...

I really hope that my Father in Heaven knows how appreciative I am for everything I have, even if I never say it exactly to Him.

Valerie said...

And I am grateful to have met you through blogging! You are an inspiration. Especially since I've been feeling kind of negative lately. I need to focus more on what I have than what's hard.

THANK YOU!!

(I saw missionaries ALL DAY yesterday... I wish I could feed yours!)

Bonnie White said...

Thanks for this wonderful quote. If true, I would have very little today, but tomorrow looks more promising;)

If you haven't tried a dark chocolate LINDT bar (best price is at Winner's) then please go right now and get yourself one.

My son will submit his papers Nov 1. Other son will marry in Oakland Temple Dec 30. B's cancer is in remission. Our daughter is pursuing her masters in nurse practitioner. Our other daughter has started her own business and becoming very successful. It's mostly all good.

Did you ever have those Brite tapes for your kids? "having a gratitude attitude shows appreciation..."

Thanks Yvonne. Will you be in Regina any time soon?

Natalie said...

I think I will make you my spokesperson. I totally agree with and am grateful for all the same things you are grateful for.

I loved the quote.

You have inspired me more than once and this time I will be thinking more about gratitude. Thanks.

Melissa said...

Love it!! What a great post. And I love the "optimist" quote. That is so true!