Monday, September 5, 2011

Half Marathon



I am so excited. I DID IT. I finished my race.

One of the funniest stories though happened on our way down. We hit the border and the custom's agent asked us the purpose of our trip. Allan told him we were going down so I could run a half-marathon and to visit family. He looked at my passport photo, looked at me, again looked at my photo and then at me. I said, "I know I'M OLD, but I can do it". He laughed and sent us on our way ; )

I have to tell you I was so scared on Saturday morning. When we arrived in Indianapolis it was so incredibly hot and humid. I went to the running store on Friday and asked what they recommended as far as running in these conditions. The advice they gave me--SCALE WAY BACK. Don't plan on having a Personal Best. I knew I had prepared--I had done all my training, but I do not run in hot, hot temperatures.

I had a spray bottle, my bottle of gatorade, all of my shot blocks and I was ready to go.

Allan managed to snap a picture of me before I got to the starting line.

Then a couple of miles into the race, Allan got this one.

The first five miles I was doing okay. I actually had a pretty good pace going and was feeling pretty good. Then all of a sudden at about mile 6 1/2 I started to feel awful. I thought--I CAN'T DO THIS. I began to seriously think about quitting. I knew I would be very unhappy if I quit, so I started to walk, and I walked for about a mile. The whole time I was telling myself I had prepared, I just needed to slow down, and everything would be okay. So I started running again but at a slower pace. I had water at every water stop, drank my gatorade and ate my shot blocks and my sports beans. I still didn't feel that great, but I thought I could do it.

I was so happy when I saw my son-in-law Tony about a quarter of a mile from the finish line. He shouted words of encouragement and away I went.

And then I crossed the finish line--so relieved and happy. Allan snapped a couple of pictures.



It was funny because I got an e-mail last week from the Organizers of the event and they announced that at mile 13 there would be a "Primping Station"--OBVIOUSLY I DIDN'T STOP ; )

I got my finishers medal and found Allan. He gave me a big hug. (I actually could have collapsed in his arms, but he helped get me to a spot where I could sit down--ha, I'm just kidding I ACTUALLY LAID DOWN ; )
And Allan was kind enough to not take a picture of me laying down ; )

I got a picture with my supporters--so glad they were there.

It was so fun to have Allan at this race. He is always so supportive.

Because we were there to visit the family, I couldn't crawl back into bed for the rest of the day ; ) Had a wonderful visit and will write about it later.

I was very excited when I realized that I came in 5th in my age division--5th out of 25. As it turned out, temperatures that day set a record HOTTEST DAY IN SEPTEMBER ON RECORD. It was brutal.

I am going to take a bit of a break. I still am having trouble with my foot and give it a chance to totally heal.

When I get home I will catch up on reading blogs. I really haven't had a chance to get on the computer much.









13 comments:

Melissa said...

WOOHOO!!! Way to go!!! I'm so disappointed that you didn't stop and primp ;) Did you see anyone there freshening up? Still think that is too funny! Good job! Oh, and by the way, you look fantastic :)

Connie said...

Yvonne - you are amazing! 5th place out of 25 is awesome! The guy at the border patrol didn't know who he was dealing with!
I love all the pictures Allan took, especially the one at the first, before the race and the one where you're crossing the finish line. Love your finishers medal, flower AND flag! I hope you have fully recovered. Take care of your foot! Hope you've had a great visit with family.

Natalie said...

Congrats!!!!! You are just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Way to go Yvonne!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heidi looks so much like you. I can really see it in the first photo. Fun.

Hope your foot heals quickly.

ShEiLa said...

Wowza! I bet a cooler less humid day would have been more to your liking... but you did it girl!!!

Love the border story... tehehehe. I think that you aren't old at all... you are only as old as you look(and feel) and I think you look great!!!

ToOdLeS.

Cherie said...

Yayyyyyy!! That is awesome Yvonne!!!! And in the heat too - You are amazing - Truly!!!

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

WAHOOOOOOO! I'm SO proud of you! Running in the heat is the WORST, and I know how much more difficult it makes it. You pushed through and finished--and that is awesome.

Yay! Congratulations--

Garden of Egan said...

Congratulations.
You are my hero. Sounds like true torture!

Valerie said...

Too bad the race wasn't this weekend. My sister lives in Indy and she said that on Sept. 1 the temps took a dive and became livable again!

Congrats on a job well done! And who needs the primping station?!? You looked cute through the whole race!!

Nancy Face said...

SUPER HERO YVONNE!!!

How awesome that you not only finished, which is a HUGE accomplishment, but also placed 5th out of 25! WOW!

I am running daily in hot, humid temperatures, and in less than two miles I am nearly dead, ha! So what you did really blows me away!

WOO HOO!

Doran & Jody said...

GREAT GREAT JOB, Yvonne!!!

Heffalump said...

You're AWESOME! I couldn't do a half marathon if my life depended on it.

mindyluwho said...

Go Yvonne! You are awesome! I know about temperatures doing you in. When I did the Ragnar last April it was supposed to be cloudy and overcast in Southern California...they had a HEAT WAVE that weekend! A girl on our team fainted and had to go to the hospital!

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

So proud of you (and a little bit jealous that I don't have the discipline for something like that). Way to go!