Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago


I will never forget that morning ten years ago.

I sat in the family room watching the Today Show when they reported that a plane had flown into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. I called Allan who was in Toronto. He hadn't heard anything about it, and at that point it appeared to be an accident. When they showed it, I thought how could a plan possibly hit the building it was such a clear day?

And then suddenly as I was watching you saw the second plane hit. I was dumbfounded--it was obviously not an accident.

I had to stop and take Brent and Kyle to school. I came back and watched for awhile and then got on the phone with Heidi who was a Freshman at BYU. She said there was lots of talk about what was going on--I was so incredibly grateful she seemed okay.

I had a piano lesson and when I got to Mrs. R's, she hadn't been watching the news and didn't know anything about it, so we went into her family room and turned on the TV and sat glued to it for an hour--both of us crying.

(I went to see her Mrs. R on Friday as she is dealing with cancer and we talked about that day. We were both so grateful to be watching it together.

I talked to Allan several times that day. I knew he wasn't going to be able to get home for a few days. I so wanted him here, but then I realized he would be coming home--so many others had husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters who wouldn't be coming home. The heartache I felt over the next few days was so deep. When I think about that day, I still feel that heartache and it's odd but there's a part of me that thinks that the heartache is a tribute to all those who lost their lives that day.

I remember Allan's cousin, Susan, talking about her and her husband, Ron, standing on the roof of their apartment in horror as they could see the towers and watched what was happening. They were close enough to see it all. And, of course, knowing that Ron was supposed to be at work but didn't go in that morning, fills me with gratitude.

I was able to be at Ground Zero a year later. I was so touched. And while walking around Time Square I saw a policeman and walked up to him and with tears in my eyes shook his hand and thanked him for everything he and all the other policemen as well as all the firemen did that day and do every day. I appreciate them so very much.

For me that day been a lesson in the pain and suffering of the Atonement of Jesus Christ for each of us. I have such a hard time understanding it, but when I think of the anguish I felt that day and what I can imagine was felt by so many others and which had to be magnified by those who lost friends and family, and then you add to it all of us who watched in horror (as well as those who suffered as they lost their lives) it gives me a glimpse of what He must have felt as He suffered the pains of our sins, hurts, disappointments, EVERYTHING, for each and every one of us. It has always helped me understand it a little better.

Recently there was an article in The Washington Post where President Monson talked about September 11th. President Monson said this: Sadly, it seems that much of that renewal of faith has waned in the years that have followed. Healing has come with time, but so has indifference. We forget how vulnerable and sorrowful we felt. Our sorrow moved us to remember the deep purposes of our lives. The darkness of our despair brought us a moment of enlightenment. But we are forgetful. When the depth of grief has passed, its lessons often pass from our minds and hearts as well...

If there is a spiritual lesson to be learned from our experience of that fateful day, it may be that we owe to God the same faithfulness that He gives to us. We should strive for steadiness, and for a commitment to God that does not ebb and flow with the years or the crises of our lives. It should not require tragedy for us to remember Him, and we should not be compelled to humility before giving Him our faith and trust. We too should be with Him in every season."


I just am so very grateful and will never forget.

6 comments:

ShEiLa said...

It is a day that can't be forgotten.

ToOdLeS.

Melissa said...

I hadn't read Pres. Monson's words before. Thanks for sharing them and your thoughts today

Garden of Egan said...

It has been a sombering feeling today.
I pray that we are all better for it.

Valerie said...

I can't believe it has been 10 years already! It still seems like it happened yesterday. It's hard to remember what the world was like BEFORE it all happened.

Neal said...

That article by Pres. Monson was amazing...as usual. Really something special.

Nancy Face said...

Other than our two-hour Stake conference meeting, I spent the entire day watching TV programs about that day 10 years ago. It was a very emotional experience.