Monday, September 26, 2011

Trip to Zurich--Visiting The Interlaken Region

Our next journey was to the Interlaken Region.  We began by driving from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen.    Our car ride was a couple of hours through absolutely incredible scenery.


Unfortunately, I couldn't capture the color of this lake--it was INCREDIBLE.  Believe me taking a picture from a moving car is not that easy ; )




We stopped at a grocery store and picked up some groceries so we could have a little picnic.  

We rode the cog train up from Lauterbrunnen to Kleinne Scheidegg which sits at about 2050 m.  I think BREATHTAKING would be the best word I could use. We had a little couple from Kent England on the train with us.  They were kind enough to keep inviting me over to their side of the train so I could get pictures out their window.   I had to laugh because when they asked me where I was from and I told them, Canada, they said, "Oh, then you must be very familiar with this kind of scenery."  I laughed--they obviously have never been to Winnipeg ; )

Some of the pictures from the train.







We got off the train had Kleine Scheidegg and hiked to Mannichen.

Here's where we stopped to have our picnic.   I would love to sit every day and have this as my view while I'm eating my lunch.

As we were hiking, we decided to have a "create your own statue" contest. I'm not quite sure who won--Here is Amanda's creations. I think she did a great job.

And Allan, of course, would not be outdone and worked very hard:

I just couldn't find quite the right rock to get started:


Wow--such incredible beauty.




I kept asking Amanda to tell me about the three mountains from left to right--the Eiger, the Monch, and the Jungfrau.  


Each group that Amanda has taken on these tours has had to stop and try to reenact their own version of "The Hills Are Alive"--well, you know ; )  Frankly, I think I kind of look like I'm trying to scare someone.  Amanda, on the other hand, has it down pat ; )


I think this will definitely have to go on our Christmas card/letter this year.  WHAT A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT.



We took the tram down to Wengen.  We found a lovely souvenier shop where I picked up a beautiful butter dish which will be a great reminder of this amazing trip.  We've been looking for something for Amanda's birthday--she found some placemats that she liked.   We then got back on the train down to Lauterbrunnen.

Allan and Amanda having some fun.



Allan trying to grab an alpine horn away from this poor guy ; )



One of the cool things that I loved about Switzerland was the fountains where you could fill your water bottles.  It was SO GREAT.  I have a few pictures of me filling my bottles at the different fountains, but this is by far my favorite.  Look at those mountains behind me ; )


We sat here and ate a Magnum ice cream bar--Amanda had been telling us all about them and we had to have one.  I told her I was pretty sure they had them at Safeway in Winnipeg.  (They did and we have had them and I think they are just as good as the ones in Switzerland ; )

Got back home and went to an Italian restaurant for dinner.  Had a big salad--thank goodness Amanda was with me or it would have been HUGE SALAD--probably big enough for all of us.


This was the day I think Allan and I went back to our "hotel" and said to one another--THIS WAS EVERYTHING WE HAD HOPED IT WOULD BE.  And the words of Nat King Cole's song kept going through my head, "And I think to myself, WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!!!"  

13 comments:

Deena said...

Switzerland is definitely on my list. Food and scenery--my favorite.

Garden of Egan said...

Oh my goodness! Those pictures are stunning! It is a beautiful world that you are able to enjoy.

I love all your statues and monuments. So creative!

Heffalump said...

Beautiful! Isn't it amazing how many wonderful places there are in the world?

Valerie said...

Wow!

I really don't know what else to say! Stunning, perhaps? But I don't think that's strong enough. Beautiful? Defnitely. Breath taking? ABSOLUTELY! But what word puts it all together?

WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Lana said...

I want to be a world travller some day, look so fun

ShEiLa said...

absolutely gorgeous!!!!

What a wonderful place to visit. Thanks for sharing.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

I am in awe at the beauty of that place!! Absolutely gorgeous!! You captured the beauty even from a moving car!

Looks like so much fun.

Cherie said...

Beautiful beautiful pictures Yvonne!! Switzerland is gorgeous!!

I thought Allan would have looked good blowing that long horn thing - Ha Ha!!

Oh and I also thought the same thing about Canada, about the scenery - isn't it funny our preconceptions when we have not been to a certain area. I thought Canada was all mountains and greenery too!

Natalie said...

Switzerland is so beautiful. What gorgeous scenery. I want to go there some day too.

I think you do a great job with your photos.

Looks like you're having such a wonderful time. I am happy for you.

Sheri said...

What an amazingly beautiful place!! Your picnic spot picture made me think wow! What a great place to sit and meditate!!

Neal said...

I know it sounds silly, but the "I just couldn't find quite the right rock to get started:" picture is my favorite ; )

mindyluwho said...

Oh I am so green with envy right now looking at all your fabulous pictures! My husband and I were supposed to go to Switzerland several years ago for free because of a company he did business with. However we had to back out due to some circumstances at that time and then we never were able to go after that. It's so beautiful!

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

You're right--those views are breathtaking. I can only imagine what it's like to be there in real life. What an amazing trip!!!