Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Value of Pondering and a Little Meme

So often I put the TV on just for the noise, but I am realizing how valuable it is to just sit and relish the peace and quiet.  It truly does give me an opportunity to PONDER.

As I reflected on the various talks I heard this past weekend, I realize how much I have to learn and do, but I do not feel overwhelmed.  I know it is a process.  I know I have a loving Heavenly Father who is mindful of me and ever so patient.  As well, I know I have an elder brother who is my Savior and Redeemer.

In a world where so many seek fame and fortune and have a great desire to be "on stage" and receive the accolades of the world, it's so comforting to me to be reminded by a prophet of God that "The Lord uses scales different than the world to measure the worth of a soul."  I matter to Him.  You matter to Him.  He is ALWAYS there to listen, not just to me, but to anyone who will turn to Him. That knowledge is such a blessing to me.


Every time I watch Conference I am taken back to that Conference in April 1974, my first General Conference as a member of the Church--actually I was baptized after the afternoon session on Saturday, April 6, 1974.   I am so very grateful I made the decision to be baptized.






NOW FOR A CONFERENCE MEME


Stephanie at  Diapers and Divinity is again hosting a Conference Book Club.  As preparation for Book Club she has a little Conference Meme.  She also has a trivia contest.  These are her questions.

General Conference Highlights, October 2011

1.  Who were your three favorite speakers?  I enjoyed each and everyone.   I was so touched by President Packer's words.  I have always appreciated his straightforwardness, and I felt he so wants all of us to listen to him.  And I loved that President Uchtdorf asked the young people to heed President Packer's "wise counsel".   Sister Dalton was amazing.  Didn't you love when she suggested that if (your daughter)  doesn't come home from a date on time--go and get her.  "She will resist and say that you have ruined her social life, but she will inwardly know that you love her and that you care enough to be her guardian"   As always, I loved President Uchtdorf's talk.  As well, when one of my sons and my husband told me about Elder Holland's Priesthood talk, I went on line to listen to it--WOW!!!!

2.  Which talk spoke to you the most?  I'm not sure it's the one that "spoke to me the most", but I think it's the one I knew I needed to hear--Elder Ardern's talk on using our time wisely.

3.  What was your favorite Hymn and why did it move you?  Like Stephanie, I was so moved when the Tabernacle Choir sung "Consider the Lillies".  It is such a beautiful hymn and every time I hear it I am reminded of who I am and His great love for me and all of His children.

4.  Which speaker was the best dressed?  As Stephanie said, we can have a little fun ; ) It would be a toss-up between President Uchtdorf's suit and tie on Saturday or Elder Alonso--very nice tie with his suit.

5.  Were there any topics that you felt like were repeated often?  Any conference “themes”?  I felt several of the speakers talked about our need to increase our faith and trust in the Lord.  As we watch everything that is going on in the world, it was wonderful to be reminded that He is mindful of all of us.  I love the emphasis on reading the scriptures--particularly the Book of Mormon.  And lots of talks about rescuing/serving.  

6.  Share a few of your favorite quotes from any of the talks (paraphrasing is fine).  When President Uchtdorf said, "...you could pile up the accumulated currency of the entire world and it could not buy a loaf of bread in the economy of Heaven."  I loved when Elder Carl Cook  talked about his experience with President Monson in the elevator and President Monson told him, "Remember it is better to look up".    And then he reminded us, "Most of what we worry about is not of eternal significance, and if it is, the Lord will help us."  I loved when Elder Anderson quoted the blogger who wrote, "Motherhood is not a hobby it is a calling."  

7.  Name something(s) that made you smile or laugh during conference.  I loved when President Uchtdorf talked about his journey to his training base in Texas when he was in Pilot training in the U.S. Air Force.   He was on the plane sitting next to a passenger who spoke with a heavy southern accent.  He said he could scarcely understand a word he said.  I laughed when he said, "I actually wondered if I had been taught the wrong language all along."

8.  Was there any evidence that your children paid attention?  My youngest son who is currently on a mission in Idaho wrote the following in his e-mail on Monday:  "The one who always speaks that just clicks with me and is basically a direct answer to my prayers is President Uchtdorf. The one message that he shared Saturday morning struck me. He just reaffirms to me that discouragement comes from Satan, and he causes feelings of insecurity and inadequacy, as well as puffing us up to a fantasy of our own "self-importance" (in a prideful sense). I also loved that he said that the things that matter most to God are that we do our best, have our hearts turned towards Him, and strive to serve others. "

9.  What doctrine did you learn as you listened to the choir(s) sing?  As the Tabernacle Choir sang, "I Feel My Savior's Love", I was reminded that God is there and He loves us--"All things denote there is a God".

10.  Did the music enhance your General Conference experience? How?  Oh goodness, music so stirs my soul. And, the only time I will ever be a part of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir--well, sort of ; )  I always remember the first time I went to General Conference in October 1982 and we stood and sang, "We Thank Thee O God for A Prophet".

11.  What are some of your post-conference goals?  I would love to say I will do the General Conference Book Club that Stephanie hosts, but somehow things seem to get in the way.

But I do know those "things" are not going to get in the way of my re-evaluating where I spend my time and make sure I "devote my time to the things that really matter most" and seek to "identify the time wasting things that may need to be ground into dust".   I'm going to focus on serving--be a better disciple of Christ by seeking the Spirit to know "what would He have me do today" and checking to make sure that I am doing everything to choose eternal life.

As always, I put my hand up to sustain these men and women.  I know that the First Presidency and Members of the Quorum of the Twelve are prophets, seers and revelators.  I love them and will seek to follow their counsel for I know that they spoke the words I needed to hear.




9 comments:

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

I really like the quotes you highlighted; those were some of my favorites too. Thank for playing along, Yvonne. 3 cheers for conference!

Garden of Egan said...

That's funny! I didn't know they were checking out the best dressed. Made me giggle. I didn't pay attention to that part, now I'm going to have to check out the tie!

Loved them all.
Music...awesome.
Read more fervently from the Book of Mormon.....motivated.

It was just great all around.
AND YAY for Star Valley Wyoming.

It was so funny listening to President Monson so effortlessly name the places where a temple would be built and then Star Valley Wyoming. That was the funniest to me.
What a sweet man.

Becky said...

Thanks for the reminder that part of sustaining our prophet/leaders is remembering to do what they say!

Heffalump said...

I really enjoyed conference this time around (not that I don't usually). I'm still thinking about a lot of what was said. That must mean I needed to hear it!

Natalie said...

I like the way you write so much. You always seem to say the things that I am feeling and so I'm with you on your quotes.

I loved conference and the feeling that I still have from listening to it.

Lana said...

that was a really good meme. I loved conference!

Melissa said...

Loved Conference! The theme I picked up on (and of course, it's what I needed to hear...) was: repent and then get moving! You know what you're supposed to do... now DO IT :)

Rachel said...

I read your #7 and laughed. I had forgotten about that part. At times I've felt the same way when I first moved back to the south.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about conference. I loved what your son said about his feelings of Pres. Uchtdorf. Definitely words to remember.

Where did you join the church?

ShEiLa said...

I think you summed it all up beautifully. It is important to focus on the things that matter most.

ToOdLeS.