Monday, November 28, 2011

Changing that "To Do" List to a "To Become" List

I have a sister I visit teach, and for years she has talked about the need to change a phrase in the hymn "I am a Child of God" from "teach me all that I must do" to "teach me all that I must (be) to live with Him someday".  (Yes, I know it was changed years ago from "teach me all that I must know")

With that being said, I think about my friend each evening as I fill out my "To Do" list for the next day.  I wonder about the things on my list and ask myself, "Are they helping me to "become" the person I want to be?"  How does it all fit together.

My life today is very different than it was when I had children at home and there were lots of interruptions throughout my day.  In some ways it is so much easier, but yet I miss those days.  At the same time I'm grateful for the experiences they brought (as well as the wonderful memories I have).

I've talked before about being a list maker--I love making list, mainly because I love checking things off.  It gives me such a feeling of accomplishment.  So don't laugh as I tell you some of the things on my list.  No, you won't find "make my bed" or "brushing my teeth"  because fortunately THEY ARE GIVENS--things I always do.  Even though it would give me something else to check off, I just can't.

But:
  • Scripture study--Personal and family are both there.  I want to make sure it is done.  It is definitely a routine, pretty much a given, for me--I don't really even have to think twice about it.  But what does that help me to "be"?  I love to read my scriptures before I pray.  I usually ask for the Holy Ghost to help me understand as I'm reading, but after I read and then kneel to pray, I am more aware of the things I need to pray for--the things I need to work on.   I think teaching Seminary taught me a great deal about application--reading is one thing, but applying what you read, something very different.  I also know that as I read, and try to think, "why is that there" or "what do I need to learn" is so helpful for me.
  • Prayer is really a given.  But on my "to do" list is to remember my "Prayer Journal".   After I read, I usually try to ponder a little and think about the things that are going on in my life, and write down the things I want to pray about.  It helps me to feel like I am really taking things to my Father in Heaven--no, not  a list of demands but things I am concerned about AND EVEN THINGS I'M GRATEFUL FOR.  I also pray about the things I need to work on--the things that will help me to become a better me.  (Believe me I have a long way to go)
  • Practice the piano 30 minutes--I know that this is helping me to "become" of more use to Him.  One day Allan and I will be serving missions and when we are in some little branch somewhere and there is no one who can play the piano, I want to be able to be of service.   (I always wondered why I was not getting any better, and now I know--I HAVE TO PRACTICE ; )
  • Exercise--I firmly believe my body is a temple and I'm supposed to take care of it--eating right and exercising are two of the things I can do.  Starting running has been such a great thing for me--I have "become" so much stronger than ever.   I love the scripture in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, "Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own.  For ye are bought with a price; therefore, glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."  So as I exercise, I am glorifying God.
  • Housework--How can I not think of the scripture in D&C 88:119 "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God."  I am trying to create a home where the Spirit can dwell--obviously being able to feel the Spirit will help me know the things I need to focus on to help me become my best me.  
My life today is very different than it was when I had children at home--interruptions throughout my day.  I miss those days, but at the same time I'm grateful for the experiences they brought (as well as the wonderful memories I have).

I have a mission to perform while I'm on this earth.  Doing all these things will help me to be more in tune with Him and help me to know what I need to "be" so I can live with Him someday.

Sidenote:  My pride and joy Grandchild #3 will be up in a couple of days--trying to find a couple of things that I haven't been able to put my hands on ; (


7 comments:

Cherie said...

I really like the idea of a become list. I am also a listmaker and the thought of "becoming" is inspiring. Thanks this is a great message and really edified me today to do a little better.
Have fun with that cute #3~!!

Heffalump said...

I love lists! Lists make me feel like I have some kind of a handle on things.
Thanks for making me think about some of the more important things I can put on my list today!

Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful post.
Thanks for sharing it.
I love the idea of "be"coming.

Yes, things in my life are so different now. I miss the time of having my house full of little ones. I need to use my time better.

Doran & Jody said...

Someone mentioned this talk in sacrament this Sunday. I wrote this down in my Church journal.

I want to strive better to work on my To Be list too!

Unfortunately, I feel like I am starting all over in every aspect of my life right now. I am so behind I almost caught up to myself.

Tonya said...

I am a list maker too. Sadly, I don't get to check off as many things as I'd like to but you have to start somewhere.
I love the idea of making it a "to become" list. You have a very wise friend.

Melissa said...

To be... rather than to do... I love it!! What a great thought

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I just love this post. I'm an endless list maker, and this spoke to my heart. I may even copy it and post about this myself. :)