Friday, November 25, 2011

I Love Thanksgiving

Because it's Thanksgiving, I need to post about this special day and take a break from my Grandchildren posts.  Chris and Amanda's were so much fun.  I am excited about doing the next 10 ; )

I have always loved Thanksgiving--I guess because I LOVE FOOD.  But more important than that, I love gathering--sharing a meal and talking about the things for which we are grateful.

Allan and I had been married only a month when we had our first Thanksgiving together--and can you believe I DON'T HAVE A SINGLE PICTURE ; (

All the years we spent in California, we had some great times with my family as well as time in Reno with Allan's family.  The kids always had so much fun ; )  That's Heidi with her Grandma and Grandpa--just a few weeks after she was born, and we drove to Reno for Thanksgiving.


Nancy and Wendy pretending to be catalogue models ; )  Notice a very young Allan in the background.


I don't think any of us will ever forget the HORRIBLE Thanksgiving 1984.  We went to Utah.  The trip from out was fine, but the drive from Reno to the Bay Area was a NIGHTMARE.  The roads were backed up and everyone in the car was sick with the stomach flu.  It was ugly--I think we ended up throwing away all those pillowcases that were used for (well, I don't think I need to spell it out.)  Believe me YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE PICTURES ; )


I can't believe I don't have a better picture than this of Thanksgiving 1985.





Then there was the Thanksgiving in 88 when we drove from LA to Reno to be with family.  Neal's family was there and so were these three.




When we were in Toronto, Daphne and the kids were with us for a few weeks.  Stephen came and picked them up right after Thanksgiving and then they moved to Missouri.  (I think Miss Kiah wanted to help Grandpa in the kitchen.




This picture will always make me smile--believe me no one can clean a drumstick quite like Brent ; )



I loved in 2009 and the Utah kids came to California.  I was there, and we spent it with Stephen and Daphne and Wendy and Tony came down from Reno--so fun.   Notice all the flyers out--getting ready for Black Friday.



And last year all the family was in Utah for Heidi and Daniel's wedding--such a great time for all (well, most).  (I love the picture and it's so cute because Macy made us all a calendar with that pic on it--LOVE IT ; )

Life doesn't get much better than that ; )  And since Amanda wasn't with us, Thanksgiving included an iChat with her and Darren.

There have been lots of Thanksgivings with the missionaries--and while we have lived in Canada, we have celebrated two Thanksgivings--Canadian Thanksgiving which is the 2nd Monday in October and American--the 4th Thursday in November.




This year I was too late to sign up to feed the missionaries since they already had an appointment.  So I decided, hey why not invite Elder Rob's buddies.  They are all Canadian and have never really celebrated American Thanksgiving.  Having them here to celebrate with us was THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!!

Allan and I had a ball with them.  We talked all about Elder Rob's mission and they asked all kinds of questions.  They are so fun.  Here they are toasting their friend.


And Riley digging into one of the desserts.


We reminisced and it was GREAT.  I smiled because when they came in with a dozen roses and a card addressed to "Mrs. Rob and Tank" and a box of candy--just sweet young men.  I still missed my kids, but having them here took away the sting of not being with our kids.   They participated in two of the gifts for Elder Rob.  One is an advent chain. (My kids have always enjoyed those candy advent calendars.  We have had this advent calendar for years--Elder Rob was responsible for it for years--I will miss him as I put each one up every day.)




So for one of his gifts,  I've had about 50 of his friends and family write a message and I've typed their messages on red and green strips of paper and have put them together to form a chain.  Each day from December 1 - 25 he will undo the chain and read two messages.  (The guys wrote their notes, and they were so sweet)


I am also making a little Christmas album for him--and taking this poster around and having friends pose with it.  Here they are with the poster.  They decided to take the poster with them to some of their favorite places and do crazy things with the poster--can't wait to see what they come up with.  I will print the pictures and put them in the album.  (As I look at the poster I realize I have to write the "Merry Christmas, Elder Rob..." a little darker ; )

Do you realize a month from today is CHRISTMAS and WE GET TO TALK WITH HIM ; )

Hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving.





12 comments:

Sheri said...

I didn't take nay pictures this year and I had my camera!! :( Oh well! Love your sharing of years past and what a great way to spend this year!! You are such a blessing in many peoples lives!!

ShEiLa said...

I can always count on fun family photos and great memories over here at your blog. Nicely done.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

Loved reading about your past Thanksgivings. Sounds like Thanksgiving of 2011 was a good one for you too! Enjoy your weekend.

Heffalump said...

Yay for getting to talk to your little Elder soon! I can't believe how fast the time is going by (for me at least) since he left!

Natalie said...

Fun post.

I'm glad you had a good day and I can't wait to see the pictures.

It will be wonderful to talk to Elder Rob-----the highlight of Christmas 2011. :)

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

I loved seeing all the pictures of Thanksgivings past! What a fun post!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Garden of Egan said...

Those are some amazing memories through your pictures.
You have traveled far and wide.

I love that you had Elder Rob's friends enjoy the day with you.
Looks like they went away from the table waddeling!

Heidi said...

Ahh-so many AWESOME memories as always---thanks for always making them special mom;) Nothing can beat Thanksgiving time last year for sure!!!!;)

gigi said...

LOVE this post this morning!! Such a happy one. LOVED all the pictures and walk thru memory lane!
Have a great week!

Doran & Jody said...

Again, I wish that I had all my pictures organized so I can just pull up what I want like you do. Kudo's to you!

Nancy Face said...

What a great idea to have Elder Rob's buddies over for Thanksgiving! It makes me so happy for you!

Nancy Face said...

Last week my dentist said his two favorite holidays are Easter and Thanksgiving, because he gets all the joy of family togetherness along with a wonderful dinner, and he doesn't have to buy anybody any presents! I don't quite agree with him, but I thought it was cute! :)