Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Value in Stretching

I have spent more time in the physical therapy office than I care to think about.  It seems like I have had injury after injury.  I was there again last Wednesday and will be in there again today.  I really need to do a better job of stretching.  I am so NOT FLEXIBLE.  Goodness, I wish I could do this.


I so wanted to put my face on that picture and try to fool all of you, but I knew you were too smart ; )

Because I am so tight, it hurts when I stretch.   My physical therapist has given me a list of stretches to do on a regular basis.

I realize the same thing is true about life.  If we force ourselves to stretch--do those things that are out of our comfort zone--we will grow and when other opportunities come we will be ready.  That way it won't hurt so much when WE ARE STRETCHED.  Unfortunately, if we are not exercising some of those muscles on a regular basis,  it hurts when they are used.

I recently received a new assignment which is so out of my comfort zone.  I have had to do things that I don't like to do.  I think know it is good for me, and I will grow from the whole experience.  I wish I had done some stretching on my own before this.  I just need to keep reminding myself I CAN DO IT.  It's funny how while I have been trying to do this, other things have happened that seem to zap what little confidence I do have.  I spend a lot of time talking to myself and more time on my knees.  I'm grateful for a husband who supports and encourages me.  I also appreciate Elder Rob who is definitely a builder.  Even though I only hear from him once a week, he always knows the right thing to say.

Sidenote:  Went to the printer's today to get some things copied and was so surprised at how much cheaper it was than using my own printer.  But the real clincher--I have been printing and cutting 4-to-a-page prints and guess what:   After cutting 210, I found out that the printer would only charge me $3.00 to cut 300!!!!  Boy did I waste a lot of time.



9 comments:

Connie said...

Yvonne,
I'm very curious about your new assignment. I have no doubt that whatever it is, you'll do it right.
So sorry about your injuries. I hope the PT helps you. I know EXACTLY what you mean about not being flexible. Good luck in all your opportunities.

gigi said...

I've been taking some yoga classes and they are so hard now that I am older. I use to be able to do yoga with hardly any sweat, not any more :) But the stretching does help.

I know how new callings can really put you out of your comfort zone, so keep praying and good luck.

Melissa said...

A new assignment?? And what sort of new assignment would that be? :) I'm sure that whatever it is, you will be wonderful at it.
I taught a YW lesson this last Sunday about preparing for change... one of the articles I used was "Finding Joy in the Journey" by Pres. Monson from the October 2008 conference. Give it a quick read. Hopefully it will give you a confidence boost!!

Garden of Egan said...

Great post. What is your new assignment? Eek?

Interesting about the copies. Who knew?

Sheri said...

I could do that... I just couldn't get out of that pose!! ;) What a great analogy! I too am curious as to your new assignment! I am sure you will do fabulous at whatever it is!

Heidi said...

You are awesome mom!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! You truly amaze me and are an inspiration to me! I seriously wish we had more flexible genes---it was always frustrating in dance being the least flexible one;p I love ya!

Valerie said...

Nice analogy! And you're right! If we're not flexible, life can be very, very difficult and painful.
Hang in there! Keep reminding yourself: "I can do hard things!"

Heffalump said...

I'm curious about your new "assignment" too!
I could use more flexibility for sure, both physically and emotionally!

Corrine said...

I think you are so right, good luck in your new assignment, like other's very curious...and yes having the printer cut is awesome they have a huge blade...but now you know :) Sorry about all the injuries, hope PT helps!!!!