Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Struggling to Relinquish

I've been giving a lot of thought to my word for 2012--it hasn't been easy for me to RELINQUISH.  I have decided there is a difference between relinquishing and "supporting".  As Heidi prepares to go in next Tuesday for her third surgery in less than a month, I am so grateful that I will be able to go down to Utah to support her.

A couple of Saturdays ago I had the opportunity to go to a Fireside where our speaker talked a lot about our need to "surrender"-- to really turn things over to the Lord.  (Not that I think surrendering would be any easier than relinquishing--both are difficult for me.)

I could go into a lot of detail about his talk, but I don't think I could explain properly what he was trying to say, except that we need to learn to "surrender" to know that He knows better than we do, and to remember that the Atonement "covers" everything.

I guess the bottom line is I really need to trust more--really to have greater faith in Christ, not so much in the outcome of things.  When I don't see desired blessings coming, I have to trust in Him and in His timing.  He is mindful of us, I know that for sure.  One of the things I am so grateful for is that I know "Where (I) Can Turn for Peace".  I have spent a lot of time on my knees--so grateful to know He is there.  He really is the only one that I can turn to, the only one that can calm my troubled heart.  At the same time, I'm grateful for family and friends who are there to lend a shoulder when I need it.  I'm especially grateful for my husband who is such a great example to me.

Recently I was looking over President Monson's message in this month's Ensign.  I loved his challenge to all of us:  "...to undertake a personal, diligent, significant quest for what I call the abundant life—a life filled with an abundance of success, goodness, and blessings."

And then when I read his ABC's, I couldn't help but think of Heidi and Daniel.
  • Have a positive Attitude
  • Believe in yourself
  • Face Challenges with Courage
I appreciate so very much their faith and determination.  I marvel at their wisdom.  I have come across a number of people in my life who are wise beyond their years--that description fits the two of them.  I know this challenge isn't easy.  The most amazing thing to me, I have yet to hear these words come out of their mouths "Why me?"  NOT ONCE.


Prayers would definitely be appreciated.

14 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I am so glad you get to be there for Heidi too. *Ü*

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

I will continue to pray for Heidi AND her loved ones! It sounds like a great talk. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Neal said...

Well written, Mom!

Heffalump said...

Prayers coming their way!

Lana said...

I will definitely keep Heidi in my prayers, sorry she has such a horrible trail, glad you can be there for the surgery.

Sheri said...

what a great post. I think there is something in all of us that thinks we should be able to take care of everything and figure it all out for everyone that we love. If we can't there is some inadequacy in us. I am learning (the hard way, as usual) that it is not the case and we do need to relinquish and surrender to the will of our Father. The hard part is knowing "which part is mine Lord, and which part is yours?" I guess that is a lifetime quest and very personal for each of us. I think Heidi is lucky to have you there for her in every aspect and especially that she has parents who have taught her to have a great attitude and face challenges with courage through their examples. My prayers are with you all. Thanks for your words of wisdom - I am going to have to read the talk tonight!!

Doran & Jody said...

I too am so thankful for the January message.

Good luck with Heidi!

Heidi said...

You are too sweet mom! You are an AMAZING example to me of exercising great faith! I sure love you and cannot thank you enough for all you do!!!

Klin said...

After I read what Heidi wrote I can only add Amen, because I agree. We are keeping her in our prayers. And you, too. Because it's not easy being a mom when all you can do is pray and hold her hand and sit by her. But somehow, I'm sure it will be enough. {{Yvonne}}

Garden of Egan said...

Hugs to you. Praying for Heidi and her hubby.

Valerie said...

I am so glad you will be in Utah next week to help with Heidi. What a great blessing that we live in a world that lets a person travel quickly and with little inconvenience so we can be with our loved ones when they need us!
In that same vein, thank heavens that we live in a world where she can get the medical treatment she needs!
Praying for Heidi's continued medical treatments and that you'll have a safe journey! Good luck to everyone!

Melissa said...

What a wonderful post! I too loved Pres. Monson's ABC's... his thought of "Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says 'I'll try again tomorrow'"!
I'm glad you'll get to be there for Heidi! I'm sure she is too!! HUGS!!

Cherie said...

So glad you get to go and be with Heidi!
Sometimes a girl just needs her mom and vice versa. Praying that all goes well.

Nancy Face said...

I am praying for them and for you. ♥