Thursday, February 2, 2012

What is Love: Valentine Post #2

Today I want to mention what for me was one of the BEST EXAMPLES OF LOVE.  It was shown to my sisters and me on February 14, 1965, when we were made official members of Helen and Les's family.


If you know me or have read my blog for any length of time, you know the story.  But to put it in a nutshell, after my mother passed away (about 18 months after my dad had passed away), we didn't have anywhere to live.  Helen had worked with my mother and she and Les felt very bad about what had happened.  They opened their home and took in all six of us, YES, ALL SIX OF US.

The older I get the more amazed I am at what they did.  To take in six girls (and let me add, teenage girls) into your home and support them, love them, and be there for them for years is such an incredible example of love and something you just don't see every day.  Our local newspaper did a story about them a few years after Helen had passed away.  This is a picture of Les with 4 of my sisters.




A few pictures other pictures.  The first one--the day I was married.  Les loved Allan and was so happy when we got married.



This is Jason and Les in 1988


With his "little" family in 1989.




I'm pretty sure this was Spring 1999--just a few months before Les passed away.

I sure miss them.  I will always treasure everything they taught me and the love they so freely gave to all of us.













8 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Your story... is a story of love. What amazing people Helen & Les are.

ToOdLeS.

Cherie said...

That truly is a beautiful story of Love.
I'm picturing them being greeted by your parents on the other side with big hugs and words of gratitude!
Lovely image.

Sheri said...

I love that story! What an amazing act of selfless love! Although I am sure they were blessed with much love in return!!

Connie said...

Your story amazes me. What wonderful people to take you and your sisters in and love and care for you!

Heffalump said...

They were wonderful people to take you all in. It's one thing to feel bad and want to help, but to do something about it is truly inspiring.

Garden of Egan said...

I guess I didn't know that story. That is truly incredible. Talk about turning their world around. What a blessing you all must have been for each other.

kierste said...

That is the most incredible story--what a lovely story of love, charity, selflessness. You were blessed with each other, for sure!

Natalie said...

What an incredible couple and what a wonderful story of pure love.