Friday, February 3, 2012

What is Love: Valentine Post #3

For this third day of February, I want to post about another aspect of LOVE.  Now this may seem weird, and if you think it is, I'm sorry, but I think it's one of the most important things:

As I think of the scripture, "...Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (Matthew 22:39), I often wonder how can we  LOVE others, if we don't  LOVE ourselves?

One of the many things I need to work on is not comparing myself with others.  I do it far too often.  I forget that we all have our strengths--things we do great, and things we may not do so great.  There will be people who do things better than I do, but that doesn't mean what I'm doing isn't good and that I need to feel bad about myself.

I will continue to try to improve, but I won't beat myself up because I'm not where I want to be today.  I will just keep striving each day to be my best me--to BECOME the woman I am meant to be, so that I can be an instrument in God's hands.

And I will LOVE myself along the way.




5 comments:

Natalie said...

I think You are awesome. In fact, I know it. You are right though. We do compare and we need to love ourselves. That is just what I am talking on in R.S. this Sunday. Worrying about it too.

I love you.

Nancy Face said...

Nope, not weird at all! I believe it's so much easier to truly love others when we can learn to love and accept ourselves - as the precious daughters of God that we are.

Heffalump said...

Ah, this is one of my weaknesses. I have a tendency to not love me and sometimes to tear myself down. It's something I need to work on. Thanks for making me think about it!

Cherie said...

I don't think this is weird at all. I think all women do this. I have even compared myself to you! With your running and your great spiritual strength - You are such a great woman!
I remember reaching the point in my life where I felt comfortable with myself, with who I am and part of that is in great part because of my knowledge as a daughter of God and the great love of my family. We definately need to love ourselves!

Connie said...

Just catching up on your Love posts. You're so wise. It's so easy to compare ourselves to others. Glad you brought this up.