Thursday, March 15, 2012

Learning and Applying

I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn.



I was out this morning trying to get a picture of a sunrise/horizon, I took several shots--actually, more than several ; )   When I came home and downloaded them onto my computer, I was disappointed because they weren't that great.  But I knew I could try again tomorrow morning.

As I sat there thinking about it, it hit me, I go through my day with a list.  A list of  things that I want to work on--things about myself that I want to change or improve.  At the end of the day, I am disappointed when I realize I didn't do any better.  But, just like trying again with my photos, I can get up the next day and try again, and again, and again.  The best part, because of the Savior's Atonement, I can have His help.

I am working on a talk for Easter Sunday.  I read this great quote by Elder Bednar.   In an October 2011, BYU Devotional he said:   "I frankly do not think many of us "get it" concerning this enabling and strengthening aspect of the Atonement, and I wonder if we mistakenly believe we must make the journey from good to better and become a saint all by ourselves through sheer grit, willpower, and discipline, and with our obviously limited capacities.


Brothers and sisters, the gospel of the Savior is not simply about avoiding bad in our lives; it also is essentially about doing and becoming good. And the Atonement provides help for us to overcome and avoid bad and to do and become good. There is help from the Savior for the entire journey of life--from bad to good to better and to change our very nature."


I am so grateful for opportunities to serve and learn and grow and become and do.  And grateful to know I am not alone in this endeavor.

Sidenote:  In my previous post I mentioned about my leg, I have a hamstring/bursa problem.  It will get better--just will take time and patience.






7 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful thoughts. It seems like you get the most out of each day.
I hope you'll share your talk.

Natalie said...

I LOVE, that quote. Where would we be without the atonement? It is everything.Wish I could hear your talk.

Heffalump said...

Thanks for making me think today!

ShEiLa said...

I love your photo!

I have bursitis flares all of the time... I sympathize.

ToOdLeS.

Connie said...

Such beautiful thoughts and doctrine.
Those in your congregation are blessed to have you speak to them.

Sheri said...

Love those thoughts... I wish I were more organized enough to have lists to accomplish! You are such a great example!!

Lana said...

I wish I could hear your talk too! I'm looking forward to Easter. How is Heidi?

Yes, now I am the stake yw pres and its overwhelming!