Saturday, July 7, 2012

The "Reunion"

Several months before Kyle came home from his mission we began working on a reunion so he would have an opportunity to reunite with his brothers and sisters, and his nieces and nephews.  (Two nieces were born while he was gone, and one great niece)  Unfortunately as the time got closer it was determined that not everyone would be able to attend, so we changed it from a reunion to a gathering where "if you can get there, we'd love to have you attend" ; )


Kyle, Allan and I left California after Church on Sunday along with Daphne, B, Hannah, Drew and Georgia.  We drove as far as Elko.  We had walkie talkies and it made the drive a little more fun.  Whenever we go to Elko, we ALWAYS make it a point to have dinner at our favorite Basque restaurant, The Star.  Unfortunately, they are closed on Sundays, so no Star for us ; (


I had a 7 mile run to do Monday morning so up and out early.  Altitude was a little tough, but I managed to complete the run.  One of the things I ran by was a Pony Express Cabin--I thought it was pretty cool, so when we went to McDonalds to pick up breakfast, I got a picture.



The drive was fairly uneventful.  We met Heidi and Daniel in Twin Falls .  Had lunch at Subway and then off to Chubbuck where we met Brent.  Once we got Brent, we split up--there were last minute things to pick up.  Allan and I headed to Costco in Pocatello--always have to go to Costco.   I really don't know how we got everything in the car.

When we got to the "cabin" we were so happy.  Well, I have to tell you there was a moment of FEAR.  I had booked this place on line and paid up front.  We used our "Garmina" to navigate and when "she" said "arriving at destination" there was an empty field.  I was literally sick to my stomach--I knew I had been duped!!!!  But, Allan told me it was just fine, we probably made a wrong turn.  We went back and sort of retraced our steps and finally got to the right place and it was beautiful.






















First stop for the kids was THE HOT TUB


We had a blast playing games--Headbands, Disney Apples to Apples, and even had a foosball tournament.



















Allan and I had never played foosball, but even we got into the game!!!!

And, of course, 'smores were a big hit with everyone!!!

  
It was great to be with everyone, but I sure fell in love with this little girl!!!  She is such a cutie.


We had a wonderful time, the problem was not everyone was there, and I know the kids would have had such a great time being together.  Oh well, hopefully next year everyone will come!!!

I still have to write about our trip to Yellowstone, the Rexburg Temple, and my chance to meet a great blogging friend.

SIDENOTE:  Today I had a 16 mile long run and guess what:  I DID IT!!!  And yes, I am feeling the results.


8 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Looks like a fabulous cabin. I bet you loved having everyone together. Kids bring so much sunshine into our lives... gotta love them.

ToOdLeS.

Lana said...

Looks awesome!,

Natalie said...

What a wonderful gathering. I'm so glad you're having a good time and the whole place looks beautiful.

Basque food is the best. The Basque country is sooooo beautiful! Did you know that John can speak Basque? He lived in the Basque country for many years as a kid and youth.

Your grandchildren are adorable.

Garden of Egan said...

Looks like so much fun!!!! If you were at the Rexburg Temple you were two blocks from my house. I would have loved to have given you a squeeze and seen that missionary that eluded me for two years!

Nancy Face said...

We also have a Garmin. We find her voice to be quite annoying, so we enjoy harassing her by turning a different way than she tells us so she will have to say "Recalculating."

We named her Maude, by the way.

Heffalump said...

Reunions are great, even when everyone can't be there.
We have a family reuinion with D's side of the family every other year, and somehow we haven't been able to get everyone together yet. I think it has been about 12 or 13 years since everyone has managed to be in the same place at once.

Heidi said...

It was such a BLAST!!! Thank you! Getting together with the family is always the best! CONGRATS on your run! You continue to inspire and amaze me! I love you:)

Betty said...

Beautiful cabin! I would love to figure out where exactly you were!
We've named our Garmin "Doo-Wanda" We usually just turn her voice off because there are times when WE know better than she does. Although, she can get lost out in the "Wilds of Idaho" so you have to watch out!
Good job on the run! 16 miles is a LONG way!