Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Will Remember



It is a day that is always filled with such emotion.  So many things I remember:

...turning on The Today Show when they first reported a plane had hit the towers and thinking it must have been weather related and then watching the second plane hit and seeing the blue skies and knowing it had nothing to do with weather.

...thinking of all those people in the Towers and feeling scared for them and worrying about their families.

...going to piano lessons and sitting with my teaching watching the reports and crying.

...talking to Allan on the phone and wondering how and when he was going to get home.

...worrying about Heidi in her first year at BYU and wishing she was home so I could hug her.

...talking to some of my kids.

...worrying about Allan's cousin, Ron, who worked in the towers.  Being so grateful to later find out that he didn't go in that morning.  (This is the same cousin who passed away just last week)

...taking brownies to my local firehouse--my way to say thank you for these brave men and women who protect us.

...going to New York the following year and being so moved as we went to Ground Zero.

I have felt so emotional today.  The tears have just been flowing.  And it's time like this that I am so very grateful for my understanding of the Plan of Salvation.  I know God is mindful of us and I appreciate that knowledge so very much.

I remember President Monson's words last year in an article about September 11th:

"If there is a spiritual lesson to be learned from our experience of that fateful day, it may be that we owe to God the same faithfulness that He gives to us. We should strive for steadiness, and for a commitment to God that does not ebb and flow with the years or the crises of our lives. It should not require tragedy for us to remember Him, and we should not be compelled to humility before giving Him our faith and trust. We too should be with Him in every season."






3 comments:

Betty said...

We don't have TV, so I didn't have the news reports to remind me what day it was. I realized when I drove past the elementary school and saw the flag was at half mast.

Today Scooter and I talked about 9/11. He wasn't born yet when this happened, and while I don't want to scare him, I want him to understand the reverence of the day and how we try to honor EVERYONE: those who died, those who helped, the true heroes of the day.

I hope we never forget, but I hope that we can see a bright future that is ahead of us!

Garden of Egan said...

It was a day that changed our lives for sure.

Beautiful post.

Heffalump said...

I won't ever forget that day either.