Monday, October 15, 2012

I DID IT!!!





I am so happy to say that I DID IT and what an amazing experience it was.  It was a small marathon--something like 450 runners.  Quite a bit different than Chicago which has like 37,000 runners--and 17,000 of those are female runners.

Before I share with you the details of the race, I just want to tell you that it was a miracle, that I was even able to race.  I did something to my knee on Friday morning and could not even walk.  It was horrible, so the fact that I could run on Saturday was truly a miracle for which I am very grateful.

Here is the start of the race--I'm near the end of the pack.


One of the funny things was, I had changed my iPod a few days before and hadn't played my playlist on this one, and when it started it was SO LOUD--it had been Kyle's and I guess he had it really blasting.  It took me a couple of minutes to get it at the right volume, so I crossed the start line, I was holding the iPod and trying to adjust.  CRAZY.


Something I forget every time I race--hit the start button on the Garmin.  But that was okay.

My little playlist with people running different miles with me was PERFECT.  I showed you the pictures of Heidi and Daniel that they sent me.  This is what my friend C sent--she was with me on my first mile.  She and her husband went out and walked the first mile--she had just had her first bout of Chemo last week (what a trooper!!!).  This so made me smile


I smiled as I hit each mile and the new playlist for a different person would come up.  I ended up being a little slower and had to make some adjustments, but it was fun to hear songs like:   "Anywhere in the World" which was for my grandson, B, who turned 18 last week and is going to be submitting his papers for his mission; "Moves Like Jagger" for my grandson G (who is 5 and likes that song); "Never Say Never" for my granddaughter, H, who went to see Justin Bieber a week ago; One of the slowest songs "Georgia on My Mind" for Georgia, which meant I needed something really upbeat after that and so I used "Fergalicious" and could really speed up; "September" one that my granddaughter K really likes--since she was born in September ; "Lazy Eye" for Kyle--one of my favorites to play with him on Rockband;  "You're the Best" for Brent because it always reminds me of The Karate Kid, one of Brent's favorite movies; "Love is a Battlefield" for my step-daughter, Wendy--Pat Benatar songs remind me of her; "Crazy in Love" for my son-in-law, Daniel--who I know is Crazy in Love with Heidi; "Try It Again" one Heidi picked out, but for me it was "Dancing Queen" that reminded me of her ; "1999" which reminds me of Allan's daughter, Nancy; "Soul Meets Body" which my grandson Chris and his wife really like, and so appropriately named; "Carry on My Wayward Son" for granddaughter Amanda and her husband--who are not wayward, but when I mentioned I couldn't use it for them Darren, Amanda's husband said, he really liked that song (frankly I was surprised he would even know it ; ).  I have to add that the Best placed song on the whole playlist had to be "Don't Fear the Reaper" which was when I was nearing the finish line and DYING!!!!  And of course, two reasons for Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time"--first of all for obvious reasons I sure would have liked to have a younger body and second, really wanted to do it in 5 and a half hours and if I could have turned back time, the timer when I crossed would have read 5:30:01 ; )


Now a few photos that Allan took as I passed different aid stations--I don't think Primping Stations would have helped AT ALL!!!

Just approaching Mile 8



Stopping to get some water:


I think this is about Mile 19, but I'm not sure








Time for Gatorade--this is about Mile 22
Now, if you see the lady in the red behind me, we kept juggling for position and in the end SHE BEAT ME.  It was a little discouraging because SHE WAS 71!!!!  

Crossing the finish line--but hey, AT LEAST I AM NOT CRAWLING ; )

And here I am with my medal



So some things I learned that I will do differently next time:
  • I had talked about my posture before, but I REALLY, REALLY need to work on it.  I noticed I put my head down a lot and that gave me a pain in the neck ; )
  • Don't do the last marathon of the season--if something happens you really have no other option!!!
  • Do a half before just to get ready
  • Do hill training to improve endurance--even if there are no hills during your race
  • Work on improving my speed--or should I say, getting some speed!!!!
  • Save something for the end, so crossing the finish line includes a smile and they don't ask: "Are you okay????"
I am so happy that it was a great experience and that I want to do it again.

I am reminded of something Elder Neil Anderson said at General Conference 6 months ago that "Our journey of discipleship is not a dash around the track, nor is it fully comparable to a lengthy marathon.  In truth it is a lifelong migration toward a more celestial world."  I think of how many times through the marathon I thought and even said, "You can do this."  I love the idea of likening the training for the marathon to spiritual preparation for this journey through life.   There are things we need to do to keep us fit and ready.

Thanks to all of you who have been so supportive through this journey.

10 comments:

Connie said...

And you even wore earrings! Every picture that Allan took shows you running strong! So proud of you.
I went back and read some of your other posts. Love the quotes!
Happy to see more pictures! You're awesome, my friend!

Heffalump said...

You're awesome!

Deena said...

That last picture made me smile. Good job, Yvonne!

Lana said...

Whoo hoo!!

Heidi said...

Thanks for putting up the pics mom!!! YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING and I am SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! You continue to inspire me:) You were in our prayers and we were cheering you on every step of the way as daddy would inform us where you were--YOU ARE THE CHAMPION!!! I LOVE YOU TONS!!!

Betty said...

I'm smiling as I read this! I loved the determination I could see on your face through every mile!
CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so happy for you!
Allan did a GREAT job snapping pictures!

Nancy Face said...

HOORAY!

Natalie A said...

Yvonne, you are really amazing. The pictures are just great. You look awesome. Your face shows such strength and determination. You really look terrific and you surely are an inspiration to me and to many others. Well done!

Love n'hugs.

sweetpea said...

You are AWESOME!!! Just running that race and finishing is what counts, especially for your first race. It's addicting, isn't it? ;)

ShEiLa said...

YOU are AMAZING Miss Yvonne!!!!!!!

ToOdLeS.