Thursday, October 4, 2012

TAPERING PHASE


I really wish I had a running T-shirt with this on it:  "ANYONE CAN RUN A HUNDRED METERS, IT'S THE NEXT FORTY-TWO THOUSAND AND TWO HUNDRED THAT COUNT."

I am in the tapering phase of my marathon training.  In spite of that, I'm starting to feel a little crazy as I get ready for my marathon next week.  Today I ran 5 miles, and unfortunately it was COLD, WINDY WITH RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS.  It took everything I had to get out the door.  I am happy to report that although one of my miles was a little slower than usual, the other 4 were pretty much on target.  (The weather report for my marathon is showing a high of 49 and low of 41 with possible showers ; (

I was able to get out the door because last night I had a wonderful conversation with my friend, Connie, who ran the Huntsville Utah Marathon last Saturday.  It was so incredible to hear all about her experience. She was so encouraging--I almost wish mine was this weekend ; ) She also sent me lots of information from friends of hers who have done marathons.  I keep reading everything.  I so agree that a major part of a marathon is mental--mind over body.  I just have to keep telling my mind that I am ready, no matter how my body may feel.

I read this quote and really like it:  "For most people, a marathon is an experience, not a race.  We're not racing against others--we are joining them in a life-changing event."  I think I will write that down and look at it throughout the run.

And a couple of other great quotes:

"I've learned that finishing a marathon isn't just an athletic achievement.  It's a state of mind that says anything is possible."  John Hanc

and I LOVE THIS ONE:

"I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds.  Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart."  Mike Fanelli, Running Club Coach

I have made lists of all the stuff I need to be sure and pack--last thing I want is to get there and realize that I've forgotten something.

I can't tell you how encouraging Allan has been. I still remember when I came home from one of my long runs and was feeling pretty battered and told him I didn't think I could do it and he said, "Oh, yes you can!!!!  You just do it."  I SURE LOVE AND APPRECIATE THAT MAN!!!!

SIDENOTE:  It was so wonderful to hear from friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer last night when she called after her first bout of chemo.  She  sounded so positive.  I have plans to go visit her next month and am really looking forward to getting together again.












5 comments:

Connie said...

You are going to own this marathon! I'm so excited for you! Just 2 more weeks! Keep thinking positive thoughts! Love all the quotes you've shared with us!

carolyne b said...

Yvonne, you'll do wonderful in your marathon. Because you have prepared, and that is 1/2 the batle. And of course your a positive person.
When you go to see "C" next month let her know her and "D" are in my thoughts and prayers. My father was recently diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemo.

ShEiLa said...

You go girl! Enjoy the experience... not the race. ;)

ToOdLeS.

Nancy Face said...

You amaze me so much!

I love all the quotes you shared - they are great!

I hope the weather turns out to be a bit warmer and drier than expected!

Heffalump said...

You're going to do awesome!