Saturday, February 21, 2015

LESSON LEARNED

Many years ago, I traveled with a couple of sisters from here down to BYU Women's Conference.  During the trip, I was taught a valuable lesson by one of these women.   I watched as she would get up each morning and basically roll out of bed to her knees and offer her morning prayer.  She was the mother of 6 children, and I have a feeling this served her well during their growing up years.

I thought she was brilliant, and really thought, "I should do that!!!!"  However, I have to admit I didn't.  Now keep in mind the 4 years I taught early morning Seminary, I would pray before I would head to the Church to teach, but I really didn't offer my morning prayer, it was more of a prayer of gratitude, help me with Seminary to remember, to have the Spirit, etc.  What I came to recognize is quite often, my "morning" prayer, became a "later in the day prayer" when it would occur to me, I hadn't prayed yet, and would try to squeeze the prayer in!!!

Almost a year ago I taught a workshop "Each Soul Has a Mission".  I talked about the value of prayer, and in preparation had a set a goal to follow my friend's advice to "pray first thing".  I have been very good at it.   At the first of the year, I decided to set some new goals, and include this one.  As part of the goal, I printed up a little sheet to put on my wall near my bed.


No, nothing fancy--you will never see this creation on Pinterest!!!!  But, you know what I DON'T CARE.  It is a great reminder for me.  I am also happy to report I have written in my journal EVERY DAY since January 1.  I have been working on a little project that has me reviewing old journals, and I am so disappointed in how many times there is a page where I had written "I am going to do a better job of writing."  I would write for about 2 weeks and then nothing for a year!!!!  Take it from me, you think you will remember all those stories, all those experiences, but you don't!!!!

When I had dinner with my friend some time ago,  I told her how much I appreciated the lesson she taught--and I appreciate it so much more now that I have learned it and have applied it into my life, and I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes to begin my day seeking the Lord's guidance.

SIDENOTE:  This was our weekend to travel to our temple.  It was so wonderful to be there!





3 comments:

Carrot Jello said...

Thanks, I needed that. :)

Heffalump said...

I am sure I could benefit from putting this into practice.

Connie said...

Great thoughts! What is that quote..."The biggest lie I tell myself is that I don't need to write it down because I'll remember!" It is a lie! I forget what happened during the day when I sit down at night to write about it!
Love the "Pry First Thing"
You're a great example!