Monday, July 13, 2015

For the last few months, it seems like every day I find myself singing "Memories"--the theme from Cats.  No there are no cats involved.  I am busy with a project that has me thinking about memories.   While I have been doing it, for whatever reason I seem to be facing my own mortality.  Life is going by way too fast, and there is nothing much I can do.  I worry about the future--about missed opportunities.  And it's times like this that I really miss that I live so far away from children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I realize we didn't spend enough time with Allan's Mom and Dad, and Les.  There should have been more visits!  And definitely more phone calls.  Allan was really great about calling his dad.  They spoke quite often.  I didn't do a very good job calling Les.  I found a little folder that all the pictures that Les used to have on his piano--that's where he kept all the important pictures of his family.  When I would go and visit, there were the latest pictures of all our kids and grandkids.  When he died, I took all of them off the piano and brought them home along with the ones he had put away--to replace with the newest one I would send.  I also found a valentine he had saved from Heidi.

 A word from the not so wise:  Don't let a moment pass you by!!!

A few fun pictures from days gone by:


Makes me smile that Les kept this.


We stopped by and visit Les in August 1999--how I wish I had known that would be the last time I would see him.



At a family reunion in 1986--there aren't enough of these!!!!



I can look at some photos and be back there in a moment.  I sure hope I never lose that ability ; )




Although my sister, Gayle is no longer here, I need to call my other sisters more often.  No excuses!!!!



I truly am blessed!!!!  (And by the way, our little missionary grandson will be home 2 weeks from tomorrow!!!!!)



4 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I love those old photos. Time passes so quickly.

I can't believe you have a missionary grandson!!! Wow.

Neal said...

To be honest...I think you're great about cherishing every moment. You have the BEST memory for dates and places...and making sure we get pictures of everything. It's funny, because even when you're not there, all of us kids say "we'd better get a picture of this, for Mom" ; )

Nancy Face said...

I have a lot of regrets about missed opportunities... I wish I had done better in many situations!

Heffalump said...

Time flies. I think about it often, but it is still hard to seize the moment sometimes. You just feel like there will always be another opportunity, but that isn't always true. Anything could happen at any time.