Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Hawaii Feb-March 2016

ALOHA!!!!

I laugh when I look at the title--it's not like we were there for weeks ; )  But I'm not complaining 10 days is better than NOTHING!!!!

Our flight over was pretty miserable.  We left very early in the morning, and had to make stops in Calgary and Vancouver!  By the time we landed at Kahului, got our bags, rental car and got to the Condo, we had been up for 24 hours, and I felt like it!  (I sure miss the days when I would get on the plane and fall asleep while we were sitting on the tarmac!

The condo we stayed at was beautiful.  We had been at the Whaler before.  This unit was on the 12th floor and had a lovely view.



The weather was perfect--quite different than our freezing temps in Winnipeg.  I had done a pretty good job of packing, but I must admit I forgot one thing:  GAMES!!!!  I had Bananagrams sitting there and didn't throw it in my bag.  I had plenty of room for that!  We ended up going to the store and getting dominos and a couple of card games.  I also had "HeadsUp" which we played and was good for a laugh or two.  One major drawback was the amazing TV set-up they had--which was far too complicated for us.  I think the staff had to come up just about every day and solve a problem we had!!!

First place we went to was Costco and the grocery store.  We decided we'd eat most of our meals in our condo.  We had baked chicken a couple of times, Allan barbecued HUGE steaks, we had salad, and one night we had salmon.


















We also hit the Chinese restaurant we had eaten at before.  We couldn't stop laughing after we placed our order because when we asked the waitress if steamed rice came with our meal she informed us, "You have plenty of food."  That did it WE WERE GOING TO SHOW HER AND EAT EVERY BITE!!!!

We did go out a couple of times.  A trip to Maui would not be complete without a trip to Swan Court--always delicious but I have to say not as good as I remember!



















The ocean was a little rougher than I like.  It took me several days to venture out beyond my toes, and when my sister-in-law and I went out one day and I finally got beyond the waves I panicked and I knew I was going to drown.  Believe me, my heart was pounding and I was praying like crazy!!!!  Bev knew I was scared, but I appreciated her help.

Bev and Allan had such great memories of riding Mopeds when they went to Maui many years ago, so we decided to check it out.  My sister-in-law, Gerry, was pretty sure she could ride one (I was not so sure ; )  We found a place that rented them and even gave you a lesson to help you get started so Tuesday morning we headed out.  (After a great deal of talking, we convinced Gerry that having her try to ride was not good--keep in mind she has enough trouble getting into a chair.  I know Allan's big concern was that if she didn't have the strength to keep it up and she went down, how were we going to get her back up.)

We took our lesson and we'll just put it this way--BEV AND I WERE HORRIBLE!!!!  I just coudn't get the hang of making the turns.   I was pretty disappointed, but I do want to try again!

One day Allan and his sisters went to the Iao Needle.  I decided I needed to work on Seminary so I stayed at the condo.  They had a good time and I got some work done.

We spent a lot of time whale watching--I have never seen the whales so much as I did on this trip.  Finally on the last day we went out on a whale watching tour and it was fabulous.  So grateful I had brought my camera.  I wasn't going to bring it because it takes up a lot of room, but I am so glad I did!!!

  This was not on the tour but a shot from the condo.  I couldn't believe we could see these guys doing this all the time.




A favorite tale shot from the beach!

Love this one from the beach

And, you really have to look close to see this, but notice the turquoise water--that's the whale

                         

And I love this bubble ring--I wish I could remember why they do it.  But they go under and blow these bubbles--pretty cool!!!

                         


And, I am still shocked I got this shot.  My only wish was that the camera was a little further back!!!!


We went to Cheeseburger Paradise in Lahaina for dinner on Friday night.  Great memories from our trip in 2008.  Yes, I am sunburned!!!!

                             

I was pretty exhausted when we finally got to Chicago--7 hour flight (would have been 8 but great winds got us there a little early ; )  I told Allan, "I am so tired if someone came up and offered me a free plane trip to go back, I WOULDN'T GO!!!!"





2 comments:

carolyne b said...

What a wonderful trip you and Alan had. Love the pictures you took from you condo of the whale. Fab!!!

Neal said...

See...that's why you need to bring me next time - not only could I fix all the TV problems, but I could teach you about mopeds ; )