Thursday, March 31, 2016

Upcoming General Conference

General Conference began last Saturday night with the General Women's Broadcast (which I definitely loved).   The talks were amazing--loved the focus on serving.  Allan (who watched the broadcast on the computer) and I talked about Sister Esplin's story about the mirror and the frame--what a great visual!!! I love Sister Marriott and her sweet little southern drawl--always takes me back to our year in Charlotte, NC.  The story of Aunt Carol was beautiful.  Sister Burton said a couple of things that stood out to me--first, that "as sisters we make up more than half of the Lord's storehouse to help Heavenly Father's children".  And then she talked about helping those around us, and that as we consider those who need our help, we need to ask ourselves, "What if their story were my story?” I keep thinking about that--I have been so blessed.  I was talking with a dear friend the other night who was such a help when I joined the Church--who, along with several other women, took me under their wing and helped me.  What if I hadn't had that--how grateful I am that I did, and I need to make sure others have that same encouragement.   I think when President Eyring spoke about our need to be "personally modest about our good works" and how we should not "expect a public memorial" when we serve.   He used the story of the woman who anoints the Savior and the story is mentioned in Mark and yet we do not know her name.  (Facebook, blogs, etc., sometimes make it a little difficult to do that, but we need to be sure we do all that we do because we love Him)

I am thoroughly looking forward to the sessions this Saturday and Sunday.  I love hearing our leaders speak, especially the prophets and apostles.   We have talked a great deal about different prophets during the last few months of Seminary--and currently are in Isaiah.

I think of one of the stories from Exodus 32 after Moses went up on Mt. Sinai and had a conversation with the Lord about the children of Israel--who were not being exactly obedient.  I think of Moses, the Prophet, who was told by the Lord to chastise in a very severe manner the children of Israel.  (In my little mind, I imagine him thinking, "you want me to tell them what???"--I doubt he did that, but it seemed like a tough thing)  I think of the difficult job our Prophet today has.   He is not telling us things he thinks we need to hear, but as the Lord's chosen mouthpiece, he is telling us things the Lord wants us to hear and do.  We need to have ears to hear and then "hearken"!!!

I am grateful to be able to listen and listen again and again to Conference.  I like to try to summarize the talks using Elder Packer's "Therefore what?" idea.  "Therefore what", does this have to do with me; what do I need to learn; what do I need to do; how can this help me be better, do better, understand better.  I also have a few questions I am trying to understand and challenges, and so I will go with those questions in my heart.

Enjoy Conference!!!!



1 comment:

Neal said...

I like the "Therefore what?" approach...a good way to watch/listen to Conference!