Thursday, April 7, 2016

"Where Can I Turn for Peace"

This is when I am grateful for the fact that no one is really reading the blog, so it gives me an opportunity to vent or to share ; )  As I have reflected on the talks from Conference along with the lessons we've been studying in Isaiah over the past few weeks, I am so grateful to know the answer to the question "Where Can I Turn for Peace"? Right now life feels a little overwhelming.

I hate watching my children struggle and would give anything if I could be the one with the struggles they are having.  It has been a little over 4 years since Heidi had her first surgery--a surgery that I wasn't terribly fearful of.  I felt like it would be a fix.  Yeah, I knew there'd be a couple of surgeries to eventually reverse the colostomy, but I had no idea the incredible ordeal it would be for her.

I still will never forget the day I went to see her in the hospital and she was grey and actually looked like she was on death's door, and I felt like she was.  That was truly the first time I was afraid.

And here we are again.  I marvel at her strength, her faith, and her trust in the Lord through everything.  Yes, there have been days when she has called to tell me she couldn't do it anymore, and I have had had to plead for the words to help her, for the scriptures to suggest.  And then when I would hang up the phone find myself without any strength at all.

This morning I was reading Isaiah 46:4, "...I have made, and I will bear, even I will carry, and I will deliver you."  I take great solace in those words.  As well, the words to the hymn "Where Can I Turn for Peace"--"He answers privately, reaches my reaching   In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.  Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.  Constant he is and kind.  Love without end."









3 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I'm sorry your sweet Heidi has had such a struggle with this. She is so beautiful.

It is such a comfort to find the perfect scripture and hymn that speaks to your heart.

I too am going though stuff I never dreamed I would have to go through and I feel that the only thing that helps me get through the day is a temple day, or a hymn or the perfect conference talk.

Prayers and hugs for you. And your sweet daughter.

Neal said...

I wouldn't exactly say that nobody is reading the blog ; )

Lana said...

Yvonne,
I am so sorry. I have wondered how she is doing and am sad to hear this discouraging update.
Prayers and hugs.
Lana