Tuesday, August 14, 2007

1990 TRIPS

Half of 1990 was spent living in Charlotte, and the other half was spent in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

We started the year off with a wedding in Indiana. Because we were in Charlotte, we drove there. It was a lot of fun because Allan was able to tell us about some of the places he had served during his mission. We met up with Neal and Chris who flew into the Louisville airport. Later that same evening, Stephen and Jason flew in. Of course, one of my favorite stories is hearing Stephen talk about trying to stay up with Allan as they are walking through the airport (and anyone who has ever "walked" with Allan knows with those long legs you are not walking as you try to keep up with him!!!) Keep in mind Stephen is holding on to a 20 month old.


Jason, Brent, and Heidi in the hotel the night before the wedding.











The day of the wedding we took a little trip to Churchill Downs with everyone--even Nancy.












Evan looked so cute in his little tuxedo. What a little man.











Here's a picture of all the little kids at the reception. They had such a great time. Nancy's mom had done a wonderful job of decorating for the reception.






At the beginning of April, Bev and Gerry flew in and we made the drive to Disneyworld and the Kennedy Space Station--which I absolutely loved. (Keep in mind, I still remember when I was a little girl and the men from NASA came to our school to talk about one day putting a man on the moon. My friends and I thought that was the funniest thing we had ever heard. No way would we ever go to the moon!!!)



First stop was Spaceport. We were able to see the film on the IMAX about travel into space. I wish I could remember what it was called because it was AMAZING.







I love this picture because you can see the prices for tickets to Disneyworld. A little different than today. I think the funniest memory of that trip was riding on SpaceMountain and having Bev scream so loud in Allan's ear he was sure he was going to be deaf!!!







Nancy and family came to visit and we made some day trips around the Charlotte area. It was always so fun to have them visit. The kids had a great time together.


The silly gang in the parking lot on the way into the museum.










They all are obviously very interested in what they are seeing.











I don't think Josh was terribly interested in going to the kid's museum.











We decided we wanted to take the kids on a little trip to the Smokey Mountains which also included a trip to Pigeon Forge to Dollywood. (We knew we would never get back there again).


Brent, Heidi, and I with the Smokey Mountains in the background. (I think of them every time I see The Last of the Mohicans.) They were quite impressive.









Dollywood really was a fun little park to visit. The kids had a ball and so did we.










Look close and you'll see a couple of silly kids. Dollywood had a very different feel than Disneyland, and that was just fine with all of us.








Our hotel had this fun waterslide and Brent enjoyed going up and down, and up and down.








In June we headed out to California. My family (the Goodrick part) was having it's first ever family reunion. It would give me a chance to see some of my aunts and uncles that I hadn't seen for years. I was so excited. I'm sorry to say I didn't get pictures like I should have.




Here Neal and Allan are enjoying the sunshine. The reunion was in Napa.










We decided while we were in the Bay Area to take the kids to San Francisco. As a child, my family used to go to San Francisco about every other weekend.










We also had a chance to be in CV for Jason's 2nd birthday.










We all went to Great America. At this point the kids weren't into riding the roller coaster but they did enjoy the boat ride that got everyone wet.











One afternoon we all went to Cull Canyon. I remember going there as a teenager with my friends, and it had been some time since I had been there.








We went up to Reno and the kids had a ball on a slip and slide. We always enjoyed being in Grandma and Grandpa's backyard--such memories!!!







We then went to Burley, Idaho, for our family reunion. We had such a great time.



We had this family picture taken while we were there--gosh I thought our family was so big back then. You look at us today and this seems so small.








When everyone was involved in a waterfight, Brent thought it was so fun to go and get a cup of water and throw it on his dad. We all had such a laugh.








All the kids lined up in a row. It's always funny to realize kids and grandkids were born Heidi 83, Chris 84, Brent 85, Amanda 86, Evan 87, Jason 88, Josh 89 and Daphne is carrying Kiah 90--little did I know I could have sat there with Kyle 91!!!




After the family reunion at Burley, our family headed off to Park City for a reunion of our own. It was so fun to be together. I must admit the only thing missing from are pictures from our dinner at LaCaille.


All of the women at Bridal Veil Falls, on our way to Seven Peaks. I have lots of video from that outing, but no pictures!!!


Same day, here are all the men.

And here are all the kidlins.

Whenever we go to Park City, the Alpine Slide is always a hit with everyone--well almost everyone.










At the condo. I remember we hired a babysitter to come and watch ALL the kids while we went to LaCaille--how did we ever manage that???








All of the kids in the family have always been little fish. Here Neal throws Brent who loved it!!!









We knew that we would not be in Charlotte much longer but didn't know where we were headed. Then Allan took a job with a company that sent us to Toronto and the adventure of living in Canada began. We left at the end of August.


We flew to Toronto for a few days to finish up last minute paperwork on the house. We stayed at a Holiday Inn near the airport for a few days. Thankfully it had a nice playground. One day while we were in the hotel the fire alarm went off and we had to go down the stairwell to the lobby--Brent with his autism does not like loud noises--horrible experience.


They had a nice amusement park called Canada Wonderland and we took the kids there one Saturday.









I found out I was pregnant right before we moved, which I knew would probably mean I would get sick again. No trips--at least none for me, for awhile anyway. I was able to get Heidi and Brent registered for school before I had to make a trip to the emergency room and then another and then a 2 month stay in the hospital where I suffered from severe dehydration. After Bev came to help and then Linda came, Allan knew we needed to find help with the kids, on a more permanent basis so we hired Olga.

Funny thing was when I was in the hospital, Miss Kiah Lynne was born. (All the nurses thought it was hysterical that I was in the hospital pregnant and my daughter-in-law gave birth to a grandchild!!!!)



I had the opportunity to fly out to California to meet Kiah in mid-December.

Maybe it was the big belly that scared Kiah--she wasn't too sure about her Grandma

Neal came up for a visit in December, and just like going to Disneyland when we lived in California, everyone went to Niagara Falls.




Gerry, Bev, and Homer all came up for Christmas. I appreciated all the company. It was so fun to have them all there. Also, Linda, Lincoln and Audrey drove in from Grand Forks.


Christmas in our Brampton home--gosh I look a whole lot bigger than 5 months along. (Couldn't keep my eyes open for the photo, but then again what else is new)







Allan and his older sister and younger sister. Always a lot of fun when they're around--I don't think I laughed so hard as when we played Scattergories--Gerry has her own rules for playing ; )







We took everyone to the CN Tower and then down to Niagara Falls. Here's Brent in the gift shop at Niagara.









The day Linda, Lincoln, Audrey and Gerry left to drive back home. Hard to believe Audrey is getting ready to go to BYU.

No comments: