Monday, August 20, 2007

1992--TRIPS, ETC.

1992 was a great year. We actually lived the whole year in Brampton--that felt like a bit of a record!!! We really didn't take as many trips as in years past, probably because we had the big trip to Disneyworld at Christmastime.

One of our favorite places to eat in Maui was The Chart House. (Of course, it holds great memories because that is where we went the night Allan gave me my engagement ring) No, there is no romantic story that goes along with it, we just knew!!! I loved him and he loved me, so...





Early in the morning we went to Haleakala--no we didn't ride bikes up to it, we drove. It was beautiful--I had never been there so I enjoyed it so much. I think on this trip we stayed at the Ali'i. That has to be one of my favorite condos.






One of my favorite stories about leaving my kids with sitters happened during this trip to Hawaii. We arrived home after being gone for about 10 days. Kyle was in the family room and I was so excited to see him. He hadn't started walking yet so was crawling on the floor and when he saw me he looked up at Adrienne (his sitter) and then down at the ground. I went over to him and picked him up. He looked over at Adrienne and began to cry like, "Who is this lady and why is she trying to pick me up?" I WAS CRUSHED.


We flew out to San Francisco in May 1992 to be there for Chris's baptism. It was a wonderful event. Grandma and Grandpa came down from Reno and we had a great celebration. I had the opportunity to speak on the Holy Ghost. I had not seen Mark and Joanna in some time and it was great to see them.







Here are the Grandma's, Grandma Marianne (Jennifer's mom), me, and Great-grandma. Chris is a lucky young man to have so many who love him. Family has always been such an important thing to Chris--he always appreciates whenever he's able to be with family.









After Christopher's baptism we drove out to Missouri when Stephen was going to be ordained an Elder. We were so pleased that while we were there Daphne decided to be baptized. Both were such wonderful experiences, and we were glad that we were able to make the trip. This picture was taken on Sunday as we were ready to return home--hence the tears.






While we were there, Stephen and Daphne took us on a tour of the campus. It was a beautiful campus, and we were so glad that they were happy in Columbia. (Not sure if Heidi's getting ready to sneeze or what's wrong in the picture???)











Toronto had a great zoo, and the kids and I went with a friend named Dorothy, and her granddaughter Elizabeth. Must admit I don't have great pictures from the visit, but I loved this picture of Brent with the tiger photo.







Nancy, Danny and the boys came out in July and we went to Woodbine Center and Ontario Place. It was a lot of fun.








We drove down to Palmyra for the Pageant which was always so incredible. I wish we had lived there when the kids were a little older so they could have participated in the Pageant.








When Neal came out for a visit in August, we went as a Ward to Wasaga Beach which was always a lot of fun. We were sure glad Neal came or WHO WOULD HAVE CARRIED ALL OF OUR STUFF FROM THE VAN TO THE BEACH???








Kyle was always fascinated whenever Allan had a toothpick in his mouth. Such intensity in his face as he studies that toothpick!!!








Heidi was one of the bridesmaids in Adrienne and Ian's wedding. She just ate it up and thought that was the greatest thing in the world. She had a chance to dance with her dad at the wedding--as hard as I tried couldn't get the picture to look quite right.












We had great seats when the Braves and the Blue Jays played in the World Series--of course, Canadian fans were not too impressed after the fiasco in Atlanta where the color guard displayed the Canadian flag upside down. (I think less people were upset than the news reported--what a surprise!!!) I was surprised to look over in the stands and see Spike Lee (in the white cap)




We knew we had the trip to Disneyworld over Christmas, so in early December, Bev and Homer, and Grandma and Grandpa came to Brampton. We had a great visit. We drove to Palmyra, took them to the ice skating rink when Brent had one of his gym classes, and celebrated an early Christmas together.


Here we are before you go into the Sacred Grove. Gosh it's been so long since I've been there. I would have loved to have taken my Seminary kids last year, as we discussed Doctrine and Covenants. It is such a wonderful place to sit and ponder.






This has got to be one of my favorite pictures of Kyle with his grandpa. Kyle had such a fun time with him. They just laughed and giggled together. (You gotta love the little cap Kyle's wearing--and it's too bad you can't see the knickers!!!)






I love this picture of Kyle and his Aunt Bev. He loved having all the attention when the family visited--and he usually got it.









I can still remember how excited we were to let all of the kids know we were going to Disneyland for Christmas. We sent them all a FAX or mail and told them all they could not open it until we gave them the word. They were all so excited--but I don't think anyone could have been as excited as I was. On our way to Disneyworld we stopped in Kirtland and then Charlotte, NC, to see friends there.




Dad, Kyle and Brent enjoying the pool at one of the hotels. I always wish I had kept a journal of all the hotels we've stayed in over the years--so I could have marked the good ones and the not-so-good ones. Need to learn from mistakes and not repeat and go back and realize after a few hours--"Now I remember this hotel!!!"



We spent Christmas Eve in a hotel, opened presents in the morning and had breakfast Christmas morning at a Waffle House in Charlotte, and then headed off to Orlando. The kids were happy Santa managed to find them even though they were away from home. Most of the kids flew in or drove into Orlando the day after Christmas.

As is tradition, we had to take the picture of everyone in their pajamas--just a little revolting going on, but everyone participated. We even tried to get matching PJ's for everyone--not all the same but at least some.





One of my favorite memories is on Sunday morning when Allan tried to do a little Church lesson and told the story of Gideon--one of our favorites. The kids listened very intently and then when he was done, one of them said, "That was the longest story I have ever heard". We all had a good laugh.

The weather was quite cool while we were there, but who cared!!! Here are Evan, Josh and Brent visiting with Pluto, while Kiah and Jason look on. For me the best part of the whole trip was seeing the excitement on the faces of the kids. Nothing better.









Here are Jason, Brent and Kiah in the car. Hard to believe that today each of these kids could actually drive the car!!!










It truly is the happiest place on earth. Most of the gang stopped here to pose for a picture. I love this picture and just wish EVERYONE was in it.








Nancy's birthday is December 28th, so we had a chance to celebrate her birthday--something we hadn't been able to do for a few years, so it was great to share the day.








Sister and brother.

No comments: