Saturday, September 8, 2007

Don't You Just Hate It When...

1) You have a great idea and money gets in the way. I saw on line you could order M&M's with a message on them, and I thought, Wow, my seminary kids would love this. So, I got ready to place my order for red and blue M&M's that said "I Love Seminary". First problem, you can't place your order on-line from Canada. So I call Customer Service and get ready to place the order and find it's about $75 to buy 20 little bags of M&M's. But you stop and tell yourself you've been off for the summer, I'll splurge at the beginning of the year and we'll just go without eating for awhile ; ) But then the Customer Service rep. tells you it's $64 for shipping. That put an end to the whole thing. (Somehow I don't think writing on each M&M with permanent marker would work ; )

2) You let other people dictate how you feel about yourself. O.K. Maybe I'm the only one who does this. PJ wrote in a recent post about The Banana Talk she was going to give her girls. She mentions how wonderful it is we are not all bananas but that there are various kinds of fruits in the world--meaning we all come in different shapes and sizes. (It's a great post for those with daughters, or really anyone) I know I need to be more like a coconut--have a thicker skin. I'm a person who reads a lot into what people say to me, and unfortunately it's even what I "think" they are saying. (I also read between the lines, and probably OVERANALYZE everything) Maybe it stems from when I was in junior high and I hung around this one girl who whenever anyone would drive by and honk and whistle, she would say, "Oh, did you see those guys looking at me?" If anyone made an unkind remark or gesture it would be, "Oh, did you see what those guys were doing (or saying) to you?" Funny how I still remember that after 40+ years. (No, we didn't hang out together for very long!!!) Each day I'm to put on the whole armor of God, but I also need to put on that thick skin right along with it. Well, maybe if I REALLY put on the whole armor the thick skin would be there???

3) The day gets away from you. You look at the clock and think "It can't possibly be that late!!!" Or you look at the calendar and it's already a new month and you wonder what happened to August. You realize that you haven't studied about China and Japan and you're leaving in less than 2 months for your vacation and you were going to study in your free time during the summer so you could know EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW!!!

4) You find a great recipe for dinner but don't have one of the ingredients. You head to the grocery store and they no longer carry it. Another store--same problem.

AT THE SAME TIME, YOU HAVE TO LOVE IT WHEN

1) You go to Church and hear testimonies given in French; a prayer given in Spanish; and a prayer given in Albanian. You may not "understand" all of the words, but you know how they make you feel. It is so wonderful;

2) Your husband always asks what he can do to help and your kids call to let you know they love you ; )

3) You go to a wedding reception and sit at a table with a young lady from China who gives you all kinds of GREAT advice on your upcoming trip--places to visit, foods to eat, and things to avoid. And the best piece of advice--ALWAYS BARTER WHEN YOU SHOP ; )

4) You get through your 3rd week of exercising, and you are so grateful for everyone who was so encouraging--especially Nancy who you knew would check on you every day!!!

5) You stop by a few blogs and as always have a good chuckle.

6) People visit your blog and actually leave comments; )

7) An oldie, but a goodie, comes on the radio and you can sing your heart out because no one is in the car with you!!! (You're just grateful that no one in the cars next to you can hear ; )

8) You read Crazy bloggin Canuck's post from yesterday and decide:
OH GARBAGE. WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!!!

15 comments:

Melissa said...

YIKES on the M&M's... I had thought about getting some as a joke to send to a friend with a funny saying on it. Um... no. I love this gal, but wow! That is A LOT!!
It is amazing all the things that can add up to a bad day and then the things that can bring us back to a good place! :)

Nancy Face said...

The M&M idea is the cutest! I'm sorry it would break the bank to do it. Lauren has mentioned that it would be great to serve those...hot pink ones...at her wedding reception some day. I had to squash that idea for the same reason. :(

I NEVER read cookbooks! In our house, Lauren finds new recipes, tells me what to buy, then SHE makes it! Yay, it's awesome! :)

I ♥ how you got the frustrating things out of the way, then switched gears and focused on the happy things! You're so positive! Now that you've exercised for three weeks (WONDERFUL!), it's probably becoming more of a habit, but don't beat yourself up if you miss now and then...just don't quit! :D

Amanda said...

Fun post! Sometimes we have to take the bad with the good or to appreciate the good. Thanks for sharing!

Oh my goodness about the M&M's! That is ridiculous. No chocolate is worth that amount of money! :D

Keep up the great work with your exercising!!! That is great! :D

Yvonne said...

Melissa: I try (but don't always succeed) in getting back to the good place--but it's much better than the other ; ) And, you're right about the M&M's

Nancy: My son got those M&M's for his fiancee for her bridal shower--what a guy!

I wish I were a positive person--trying to do better.

And I am determined I will not quit exercising ; )

Amanda: I agree that the bad is necessary for us to appreciate the good. The M&M's--some days chocolate would be worth ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY

Holly said...

I just linked into you from another site and I have to say that you're hysterical. I could echo so many of your thoughts right here! Thanks for such a fun post and I'll definitely be back!

Neal said...

A couple of years ago, I actually bought those M&Ms. On it, I had printed "Marry Me Macy" - it cost me much more than what you were quoted ; )

Also, the haggling in China is funny - it's completely expected in the open markets (I'm horrible at it). At the established department stores, you don't do much haggling, though.

Yvonne said...

Holly: So glad you stopped by and that you commented. Enjoyed your blog. Come back again.

Neal: I thought you bought those for Macy for her bridal shower--oops.

I guess you didn't get the bartering gift that your dad has ; ) He loves it, and I have to walk away because it makes me so uncomfortable.

I love that you commented. Thanks.

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

What an awesome post! I love it!

I ran into the same M & M dilema when I had a great idea of what to put on them too... yes, way too much money after all. I guess only celebrities can splurge like that.

Yvonne said...

Gina: Thanks. Yes, it would have been nice to have been able to splurge. Oh well.

txmommy said...

we wanted to order those M&M's for Dani's wedding, but it was too expensive.

Yvonne said...

txmommy: They are crazy expensive. I'm so glad you stopped by because I love visiting your blog.

Tori :) said...

How the heck can 20 little bags of M & Ms cost $64 to mail!!!???? Ack!! I'm sorry. It was a way cute idea.
I need to get back into exercising. I feel so, well, crappy would describe it perfectly. I got so off this summer! AWESOME JOB ON THE 3 WEEKS!! You go girl!

Yvonne said...

Tori: I couldn't figure out the shipping charges either. It's not like they were BIG bags. But, they have to pay those people who check them at the border--you never know what might REALLY be in the middle???

Thanks for the words regarding the exercise. It is a habit.

Ashley said...

I read this and just chuckled because I too need my armor of thick skin. I can forgive people but I have a hard time forgetting what was said. Usually they don't even mean it the way we take it. I am working on that too. Awesome about the exercising, that is about how it has been since I have been to the gym. I just feel better when I workout everyday.I needed a little motivation. I think I just got it.

Yvonne said...

Ashley: I'm glad I'm not the only one with the need for the armor of thick skin. It's a daily struggle, but I'm learning.

Good luck with the exercising. You can do it--take it one day at a time ; )