Wednesday, August 29, 2007

MISSIONARY HOMECOMING

Tonight was a great night. A young man who is the son of our friends Cory and Darell just returned from a mission in Southern California. He has had a marvelous experience, and we are so happy for everyone. I was excited for Brent because he had a chance to meet up with him at the airport in Salt Lake before Elder P. got on his flight to Winnipeg. (Brent left on his mission in January 2005 and they haven't seen each other for almost 3 years) Elder P. also didn't know it, but one of his sisters was also in Salt Lake visiting relatives and so she flew with him back to Winnipeg. So, Brent, the two of them, and a young man who served his mission here went to Hires for something to eat before Elder P. and his sister got on the plane back to Winnipeg. (Unfortunately, Brent couldn't get the picture to me to put on the blog)

It was a glorious reunion at our airport here. (Living in Winnipeg has its advantages. Here no one cares if a ton of people converge at the airport to greet someone--very rarely are you in anyone's way!!!) Here he is with his parents.


Kyle felt bad that he couldn't be at the airport because he had to work until 11:00 and Elder P. landed at 11:00, but he was excited to know that he would come by the house to be released.

Kyle has grown quite a bit while Riley was gone.

I am anxious to hear him speak a week from Sunday. I always marvel at how much they grow.


Side note: Day #9 of exercising!!!

9 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Such a happy post! I ♥ seeing missionaries when they're just returning home...there's such a wonderful spirit about them! The pictures are so cute! DAY 9...YIPPEE! :D

Annie said...

When my husband and I see missionaries in the airport we always like to guess if they are coming or going. It's usually easy to tell by their shoes.

Yvonne said...

Thanks, Nancy face, always know I can count on your words of encouragement. You're right about the wonderful spirit about these little missionaries when they first come home.

Annie: I've had the opportunity to be at our mission home when they have a breakfast for the new missionaries and they are just so sweet--it takes everything I have not to give them a big hug and tell them it's all going to be o.k.

Suzanne said...

It's always so fun to see missionaries come home! My little brother is in Oklahoma right now, but he's only been serving for 3 months so it will be a long time until I see him again. :( But I'm very happy he's serving a mission! :)

Yvonne said...

Suzanne: Enjoy communicating with him. I'm sure you will love reading about all his experiences and he will enjoy hearing from family.

CHEL said...

So exciting! My little brother just left 3 weeks ago and I am already looking forward to a happy reunion with him.
I adore the missionaries!

Melissa said...

I was excited when I read that he had served in Southern California... we just had a couple of missionaries go home. But, he isn't one of ours :)
We have 3 nephews serving missions right now and it is so fun to hear about their varied experiences!

Melissa said...

I almost forgot - congrats on the exercising!!! That's awesome :)

Yvonne said...

Chel: Thanks for the comment--I noticed on your blog you do enjoy having the missionaries in your home. That is so great. We love it, too. My youngest is 16 and we figured we'd be putting our papers in when he went out, but due to callings, it won't happen for a few years. We're sure looking forward to serving a mission.

Melissa: It would have been so fun if you knew him.
That must be so fun having 3 nephews out at the same time. Thanks for the encouraging words ; )