Saturday, August 18, 2007

QUICK TO....REACT

As I was driving this morning to a Seminary In-service, I was thinking about one of my character flaws--I'm too quick-to-react, wish I could say I am "quick to observe". This has gotten me into trouble a number of times.

Yesterday afternoon when I was on the computer I came across someone's blog and they had written about moving into a new ward and how tough it is. I was reminded of an experience I had when I made my first major move after joining the Church. I had been a member 14 years and we moved from No. California to So. California. I was missing my friends. I was lonely as I had not connected with anyone and did not have a calling. So I decided to go and visit a woman who lived around the corner and was my closest neighbor--she happened to be the Bishop's wife. With a pie in hand I knocked on the door. She opened it and I introduced myself, told her I was new to the Ward, lonely, and missing my friends. She took the pie from my hands, told me it would take time and shut the door. I stood there in shock!!! Luckily for me I was soon called to serve in Young Women, made friends with the girls I served, and the women I served with, and was quite sad to leave 1 1/2 years later.

So, what does this have to do with being "quick to react". When I read the post by this person who was writing about their new ward, I IMMEDIATELY posted a comment. Now, I do not know this person from the man in the moon. I recognize that other than Macy and a couple of other friends, I don't know anyone who blogs, so I find myself reading strangers blogs all the time. For me, that was the reason I was hesitant to do a blog in the first place. But, I have found it's nice to find people who have had the same experiences you have had, think some of the thoughts you do, and seem to be just nice people. But shortly after posting my comment I read another blog where someone commented about wanting to make their blog private because they didn't want people to read it. I then began to panic and wished I had thought about posting a comment before I did. I have been very fortunate that some people have made comments on my blog after I have commented on theirs.

I hope that when the person reads my comment on their blog they will not think of me as "strange". I mentioned the other day how this blogging thing is new and has been a lot of fun for me. I read Gina's blogging etiquette post and assumed commenting was o.k.

Enough rambling...I will make sure I pause for a while before I react or respond--something I should do in all aspects of my life!!!

3 comments:

Nancy Face said...

I too am quick to react, or impulsive, or whatever! It has definitely gotten me into a pickle more than once! I'm trying to learn to think things out before acting...it will take a while for me to get there! :)

About the comment thing: I've only been blogging for 6 weeks, and I'm learning too, but I just LOVE it when I get a nice comment from someone new! So thanks for stopping by and being a friend! Have a great Sunday! :)

emma jo said...

You may find that along with creepy people on the internet, there are lots of kindred spirits as well. I am the sister of the blog you commented on and believe me, all is appreciated. The reason we blog is to feel validated and connected...and its kind of nice to get that from strangers. I've enjoyed reading your blog!

txmommy said...

wow! hopefully your bishops wife was just having a really bad day, I can't imagine that happening.

I think most people love comments