Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Road Trip--Toronto to Winnipeg

We bought a used car for Heidi and had to pick it up in Toronto. So on Friday, I flew from Winnipeg to Toronto and met up with Allan. (Things never run smoothly, so when I got to the airport for my 10:30 flight, I discovered that it wouldn't be leaving until 12:20--unfortunately Brent had turned off his cell phone, so I got a taxi and headed back home. (Hey, I could do a load of laundry and finish up a few other things I hadn't done!!!) Around 11:15 Brent drove me back, I got on my plane and was in the room by 4:00 p.m. Allan got in from Cleaveland and we headed across the street to Scorpios for dinner. He has talked about this wonderful restaurant, and this was the first time I had a chance to go with him. It was as delicious as he has raved about in the past.

We had been told that this was a beautiful drive, so I was really looking forward to it. I was not disappointed--the scenery was gorgeous. I wish I was better at snapping pictures from a moving car--I learned a long time ago not to expect Allan to stop the car so I can take a picture. We headed out at the crack of dawn and made our way some 5 hours to Sudbury.


There was a heavy mist as we were leaving. Unfortunately, this picture doesn't capture the beauty of it.







We found ourselves travelling near Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. I was a little envious of the people who seemed to be relaxing and enjoying the water--as we were just speed demons travelling the highway. I loved the jagged rocks--I think they are beautiful. It's always amazing to think of how much dynamite it what it must have taken to build the highways where you find rock like that.

Isn't it gorgeous. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the ones that were larger--but none of them came out very good. It was an awkward angle. This is the best I could do.








When we arrived in Sudbury, I couldn't believe all the stacks--not only the number of them, but the height of them. Apparently it is a big mining town--I guess they mine nickel. The stacks were so incredibly tall. Now it's not like we haven't seen stacks before, but these were pretty impressive.














In Sundbury, they had this great sign for Scouting's 100 anniversary. Since Allan and Kyle had just returned from Scout camp, couldn't pass by without getting a picture of this!!!








This is part of Lake Huron/Georgian Bay--I love the bird flying over the water.













My goodness Lake Superior was beautiful. Allan commented that you can understand why they call them the Great Lakes. They are amazing. I wish we had ventured out here when we lived in Toronto in the early 90's.









This is where my picture of the moose on the side of the road should be. Unfortunately, I didn't whip the camera out fast enough, so I missed him. I wanted to see another one, but certainly didn't want to find one IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. I also could have a picture of a coyote running across the road, if I hadn't been asleep!!!



Another shot of the Lake. We travelled right along Lake Superior for quite awhile.










There were lots and lots of these flowers along the road. Not sure what they are, but they sure were everywhere. As we made the drive, I was reminded of the Primary Song about "Whenever I hear the song of a bird, or look at the blue-blue sky..." I truly "am glad that I live in this beautiful world Heavenly Father created for me." I love the fact that there is so much variation in the beauty of this earth--trees are not the same, flowers are not the same. It is all evidence of His great love for us.


Whenever you travel with Allan you always have to count trucks--his trucks that is.

I thought he should use this picture in an ad with the caption--"We're always ahead of the competition" or "we leave the other guys behind"!!!







We arrived in Thunder Bay around 10:00 p.m. Allan had to be very tired. He checked on his computer to see where we could attend Church on Sunday. Unfortunately Sacrament Meeting in Thunder Bay wouldn't start until 10:00 a.m. Knowing how long it would take us to get to Winnipeg, we opted to just hit the road about 7:30. When we arrived in Dryden we decided to call to see what time they had Sacrament Meeting. Fortunately, it would start at 10:30--when we called it was 10:15. We found the building and went in. Such a nice group--maybe 15 or 20 people. The Primary President spoke as well as the Branch President. After the meeting, Allan visited with the Branch President, as he had some Church business to discuss with him. The lady who spoke came up to introduce herself to me, and said I looked familiar. Turns out she and her husband had come and stayed at our house a number of years ago with a group of youth who were coming to Winnipeg for a Youth Conference. It turns out we also have a mutual friend from Toronto. The Church certainly makes the world a very small place.

We got back in the car and headed for home arriving in Winnipeg around 3:30.

What a great weekend. So nice to just have him to myself. Wonderful to be at Church together, and even to be able to sit together. Those days of being in the same building are so few and far between--it felt wonderful to sit together.

1 comment:

Kell Capelo said...

That's awesome! I'm gonna do the same road trip in about 3 weeks and I'm soo excited!
Thanks for sharing!