Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Bridging the Generation Gap

I had to laugh yesterday morning as Kyle and I were driving home from Seminary. He had his iPod playing in the car and a familiar tune came on (most of the time what he listens to is totally unfamiliar to me). I began singing, "And if she says to you, she don't love me, just give her my message, tell her of my plea...You got a har, har, har, har, har, har, Heart Full of Soul." Kyle looks over at me and asks, "You know this song???" I said, "Are you kidding. That was popular WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!" I was shocked HE knew the song. Apparently someone used it on a skateboarding video and he liked it. (Of course, I think he's more impressed that the Yardbirds at one time had Jimmy Paige, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck as guitarists.

(For once, I was familiar with his music and it felt good. And for just one minute--maybe I wasn't such an old lady.)

The other night he had me sit down and watch the beginning of "Music and Lyrics" because he thought the opening scene with Hugh Grant singing is hysterical. I had to agree. Then we got on YouTube and watched all the crazy music videos I remembered from the 80's. It was great fun!!!

Sidenote #1: I wish I had taken my camera to Seminary. This morning was great. I had all the Seminary kids go outside in the parking lot (where it was quite cold) and we tried to measure out how big Noah's Ark was--the kids loved it. They were so surprised to realize it was that big.

I love leaving the house when it's dark on the mornings when the moon is full--it was beautiful this morning shining through the clouds. What a bonus!!!

Sidenote #2: I feel incredibly blessed. I have a husband who is so tolerant and patient with me. He is the best!!! I hope our children realize how blessed they are to have him for a dad.

12 comments:

Calamity Jane said...

The thing is that the sight of Hugh Grant wearing a flock of seaguls hair makes me smile anytime. I am not sure what the song is that your son is singing, I really never listened to the words when I was jumping up and down trying to be one of the Bangels.

Nancy Face said...

I know tons of old songs that are now newer remakes, and my kids are always stunned when I start singing along! It makes me all proud of my coolness, haha! :D

I need to rent "Music and Lyrics!"

I never got to measure Noah's Ark at Seminary...you're just the awesomest! :)

I seriously LOVE the moon! :D

Your hubby sounds like mine...girl, we are so blessed! :)

And now we come to the end of my novel.

Neal said...

Yes, I think some of us realize it ; )

Holly said...

I love your perspectives and your love of life and family.

Suzanne said...

So you teach Seminary? I didn't realize that! How fun for the kids to get to do a hands on activity!

Oh, and I love it when younger kids realize we're not fuddy duddies! My teenge brother thought I only liked 80's music because I talk about it a lot. One day he found out I like one of his favorite groups and he thought I was so cool! LOL! :D

Lauren said...

You are so cool Yvonne! It sounds like you do way fun things with your seminary class. I wish I had you when I was in high school. I had some duds for teachers. I only one, and he was from Canada! haha

Kayelyn said...

I need to come to your seminary class. I'll bring my 16 year old.

My hubs is great, too. He loves me even when I am too tired to cook dinner or do laundry.

Tonya said...

You go girl! Just goes to show you that what was old is new again. I cringed the other day when I saw legwarmers in the store. YIKES!!

Ashley said...

Man that sounds like some fun stimulation in the morning. Remakes are fun, but nothing beats the original songs. I am lucky to have a good and patient hubby, who I probably take for granted. I need to tell him how much I appreciate him more often.

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

That is awesome that he was so surprised you knew the song!

Music & Lyrics was a fun movie! Very cute!

You are a great teacher showing them how big the ark was. I didn't get to do that either!

Yvonne said...

Calamity jane: Wasn't the hair hysterical??? The song is called "Heart Full of Soul" by the Yardbirds. Were you one of those crazy teenagers who said, "I don't listen to the words, I just like the beat" ; )

nancy face: You can write a novel anytime!!! I always enjoy your comments, and I love how you look at things--I just think he thinks I'm not old, but I should be proud of my coolness!!!! I can't give a thumbs up or down on Music and Lyrics since I haven't seen it, but Liams Mom Gina says it was good and I would value her opinion!!! Measuring out the ark was great for me, too. We are blessed!!!

Neal: I'm glad.

Holly: Thanks--I do love life and my family and I'm glad you can hear that through my words.

Suzanne: Yes, this is my 3rd year of teaching. One of the best parts of it is having my 16 year old in the class. I love when we have adult/youth dances and we get out on the floor with all the youth--it is SOOOOOOOOO fun.

lauren: You would have been a fun student to teach. (Although I think I would have learned far more from you!!!)

kayelyn: My philosophy is the more the merrier--bring your 16 y.o. up to Canada ; ) Isn't it great to have understanding husbands.

tonya: You actually saw legwarmers in a store???

ashley: I try to tell my husband all the time how much I appreciate him. I didn't get married until I was 31, but he was definitely worth the wait!!!

liam's mom gina: It's great to hear from you--It was fun to have that experience with him and the song. I should have sat and watched the WHOLE movie--I'll have to go and rent it now. Measuring the ark was a great experience for all of us.

Amanda said...

What a sweet moment with your son!

My brother once came home to find my mother cleaning the house to Metallica. My brother had left it in the CD changer and it had come on. My mom thought it was great house cleaning music. My brother was shocked! ;)