Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Eleven Items of Gratitude--WOMAN TO WOMAN


For today's Woman to Woman the topic is Gratitude. Because it is September 11th Lei and Morning Glory asked that we share eleven things which we are grateful for along with the reasons--I have been so richly blessed, so for me the hardest part of this post will be limiting it to only 11 items:

1) My faith:
I am so grateful to know what I know and believe it to be true. It is what gives me the strength to get through each day. It has gotten me through some of the most difficult times of my life.

2) My family/extended family: I have been so richly blessed with a husband who is so understanding and supportive. I'm amazed at the love he has for his family and the Lord. He leads our family in the direction we need to go. I have been blessed to mother 4 (or in my mind 5). I have learned so much as a mother. I have made mistakes and I appreciate my children who have loved me in spite of those mistakes.

I married into a family where I was accepted from day 1. I was very grateful for the love shown to me each and every day by Allan's parents and sisters. And, of course, I know it was difficult for his daughters, but when Allan and I married they were so wonderful and accepting. We have had our children marry and have children of their own. It is a wonderful experience to be a grandmother and although it is difficult to be away from family, I so love those times we are able to be together.

3) Charity: When my father died when I was 12 and my mother when I was 13, my 5 sisters and I did not have a place to live. We were very fortunate that a woman that my mother had worked with and who had raised her 2 children decided along with her husband to open their home to the 6 of us. I marvel that anyone would take into their home 6 girls (girls they did not know) ranging in age from 9 - 18. They were both empty nesters and even remodeled their home to accommodate us. How can you not feel blessed when you have an experience like that.

4) My health: As I get older and see people who have struggled with poor health, I am so grateful that I have a body that functions, and a mind that is alert.

5) The creations of this world: I appreciate so much that God has created variety. I often think of how boring it would be if every flower was the same color, shape, size, and even had the same scent. There are so many different varieties of animals. There are mountains, valleys, the plains, lakes, streams, rivers, everything. All created for our enjoyment.

6) Freedom: I am an American living in Canada and am so grateful that both countries enjoy peace. My heart breaks for those who are living in war torn areas of the world and I pray for peace to one day be experienced by all. It is horrible to see or read about the atrocities that are experienced by some in other parts of this world.

7) Music: I love music and have not been blessed with talent in that area, so I appreciate those who have. I love listening to good music--I have always enjoyed being in the kitchen cooking while the kids practice piano. I have my first piano lesson of this new year today and am so excited .

8. Friends: We have lived in various places in the U.S. and Canada and I have made eternal friendships in all of the places we have lived. There is nothing better than hooking up with old friends after being away from one another and feeling like you've never been apart. I cherish those friendships

9. Modern conveniences and technology: I am a big Little House on the Prairie fan, but I would have been a horrible Laura Ingalls. I grew up in the 50's and so enjoy all that we have today that make life so much easier. The technology today is amazing. I'm grateful for computers, digital cameras, iPods, etc. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

10. The opportunity to travel: My husband and I have had the chance to travel to many parts of the world and this has given me such an appreciation for the beauty of this earth. I am always amazed to see the similarities of the human race and at the same time saddened by the poverty and poor living circumstances of many throughout the world.

11: Miracles: When my son, Brent, was diagnosed with a form of autism when he was 3 1/2 years old, I was devastated. We were able to find help in the form of therapists and teachers and each day that I have watched him grow has been evidence that miracles are all around us. We were told he was borderline mentally retarded and would graduate with a 4th grade education--he graduated with honors, served a full-time mission for our Church, and is currently in college. He is my miracle.

I have truly been blessed and it is my hope and prayer that I always live my life with a grateful heart and seek to bless the lives of those I come in contact with by being an instrument in God's hands.

18 comments:

ellen b said...

Yvonne,
What a blessing it is to read your gratitude list. Thank you so much for joining in. Continued blessings on you and yours...

Nancy Face said...

I was very touched as I read about the wonderful couple who welcomed you and your sisters into their home. :)

I'm so excited for you, starting piano lessons! My mother is an exceptionally accomplished pianist, but not a teacher! When I was about 9, she tried giving me my first piano lesson...when I couldn't play a song that day, it was also my last lesson, haha! We couldn't afford to pay a piano teacher, but my brothers and I really wanted to play, so we taught ourselves! I don't play very well, but it's enough for enjoyment! :)

I was in tears learning about Brent's miracles. I loved this post...thank you for lifting my ♥ today! :)

Morning Glory said...

Oh my, what a beautiful list!! I was especially touched by #3 -- a blessing indeed.

Thank you so much for sharing this today and for linking up.

Holly said...

What a wonderful gratitude list. You've given me some things to think about today. Thank you.

Tigersue said...

What a wonderful list. You have definetly included life changing events in that one. Good luck on the piano lessons!

txmommy said...

great list! I love your blog :)

Susie said...

Hi Yvonne,
It's nice to meet someone new through Woman to Woman. You've posted an inspiring list :)
I'll bookmark you to visit again...

Lei said...

Beautiful list, Yvonne! Actually brought tears to my eyes!

Dawn said...

WE have several of the same things on our list - thanks for joining in and stopping by!

Linds said...

Hi Yvonne.. what a wonderful list! We have so much to be grateful for, haven't we.....! I will be back to visit more!

randi---i have to say said...

I love your list! #3 and #11 are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

What a great post! And you didn't know it, but you gave me hope... my 6 year old has autism. And some days (like today when he got up at 5 in the morning after going to bed at 11 the night before) I just struggle. Thank you.

Angela said...

It has blessed me so much as I read your wonderful gratitude list. I love #11. I have a special needs grandchild who is a miracle child. She had a stroke at birth that encompassed parts of both sides of her brain. She is 6 years old now and in school...we were told that she would have cerebal palsy but they didn't know how severe it would be. She does, but she can walk freely, talk in sentences and even adds a little humor at times. Her developmental delays are there and she has some sensory intergration issues that we are working on and making some progress.

I am so glad that you stopped buy for a visit and that you shared in our woman to woman today.

Come by anytime, and I will be back again.:)

Have a wonderful day filled with love and laughter!
Angela

Yvonne said...

Thanks to all of you for commenting. I really appreciate it. It is so apparent that we are all so richly blessed--even in the face of adversity, it is wonderful to know we are never alone.

Ashley said...

We are all blessed in so many ways. I loved reading your post. Although it is hard to focus on the good, it is something we really should do. I think most people's blessings out weigh their misfortunes. For those of us that this rings true, it is our earthly obligation to help the rest. Your post is a great example of what can happen when we try and when we do.

Ashley said...

Hope you don't mind if I link to you...I enjoy reading your blog, alot.

Abby said...

Thanks for the comment Yvonne. I made that banner while learning how to use photoshop. If you would like one let me know.

Montserrat said...

I've enjoyed reading your list and your explanations for each one. Very touching to read about the act of charity extended to your family and for your miracle.