Friday, September 21, 2007

Happy Fall

In honor of fall, I thought I would do a post about some of the things I love about fall.

1. Obviously, I love the fall colors
. Being a California girl (spending the first 38 years of my life there) I was not familiar with the different seasons. (Yeah, I would go to the mountains during the winter), but really didn't experience the colors of the fall until we moved to North Carolina, and then when we moved to Canada. Obviously along with that comes the cooler temperatures which means the air conditioning goes off and the windows are opened.

2. I love Halloween and it's more than just the candy I love!!! I love standing at the door, giving out the candy (one for you, two for me) and seeing the little kids in their costumes. As a child, I loved going out trick or treating.

Over the years we've had some fun costumes. Here are just a few:
When Stephen and Daphne were dating they decided to switch places. My goodness, they look young--well. it has been 20 years.

Heidi's second Halloween (she was only 3 weeks old her first), she dressed up like a little witch. She was so adorable, and, in fact, had her picture in our local newspaper.

Then there was the year Brent dressed up like a robot. When he and Kyle went out someone asked if he was a refrigerator, and Kyle answered, "Have you ever seen a refrigerator with arms???"

And for Nancy face, I just have to display my little Mario

One of my all time favorites has to be baby Drew as an octopus

3. Making soup. I love soup, especially soups you can put in a breadbowl. They just don't taste good in the summer. (I also enjoy them in the winter, but I love when fall comes and I know it's time to pull out those recipes!!!)

4. I also REALLY LOOK FORWARD to the extra hour sleep that comes when we get to "fall back". The other morning as Kyle and I were heading to Seminary I was complaining about how tired I was and saying I couldn't wait to get my extra hour sleep, and then Allan told me we change the clocks in early November. WHAT??? I won't even be home--I'll be going through time zones and won't even notice.

5. Two Thanksgivings: One of the bonuses about living in Canada and being an American is being able to celebrate Thanksgiving not once but twice. We always have as many missionaries as we can over for American Thanksgiving.This past year we even had 4 of our Senior Missionaries over and that was so great. I must admit I do miss the prices of turkeys in the U.S., especially when they would have those "buy $50 worth of groceries and get a free turkey". You never see that here.

Of course, the drawback to Fall is that it means WINTER IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER. We usually have our first snowfall on Halloween and it doesn't melt until late April (if we're lucky). Our first winter here I couldn't believe that the snow that fell at Halloween was still here when my sister-in-law came to visit the end of April.

How about you--What do you enjoy about fall?

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh... I'm so jealous of your fall colors! No changing of leaves here... sigh. And we live in a gated community. So we only get a few trick or treators. :S And it's still too hot here for soup (except for this weekend... tomorrow will be corn chowder! SO GOOD). So basically, fall is not so great here in the desert. I love all the pictures you posted! I'll live vicariously through you! Oh, and just in case we get some cool weather, would you like to share a few of your soup recipes? I love soups and stews!

Kimberly said...

I adore Autumn...I think I need to write my own post to cover all the reasons!

Tonya said...

Fall is my FAVORITE. My birthday is in the fall. I love it when the weather turns and it's time for sweatshirts and sweaters. I love the smell of chili cooking in the crockpot. I love the smell in the air after the first rains. I love the smell of my apple scented candles. Kids in costume eating to much candy. It's the best!!

Heidi said...

I wish the fall colors here were as beautiful as they are at home!!! It makes me REALLY home sick!!! I loved that picture you took right outside our yard. I love fall because it is not so BLOODY HOT!!! I love cooler weather, getting sweaters and cuddling with imaginary boyfriends:) I just love being outside and feeling at peace with nature. I miss trick-or-treating and soup at home.

Nancy Face said...

I ♥ fall colors, but rarely get to see them...I want to be right in the middle of that beautiful picture! :)

I ♥ Halloween, too! Like you, if I buy candy too soon, I devour it and have to buy more! ;)
WOW, your Mario and my Mario are seriously twins! :D

I'm weird...I love soup so much, I sometimes make it even when it's summer and over 100 degrees outside! It makes my poor hubby sweat! :0

Love the missionary Thanksgiving picture! My son also got treated to two Thanksgivings on his mission in Canada, yay! :D

Like Kimberly, I may need to write my own post about how I ♥ fall! Thanks for the idea! :)

WINTER...? What is that?

Holly said...

I love the cooler weather, and the changing colors. I love soup too, and like Nancy, I even make it during the hot summers. I'm not that into Halloween, but my kids are. I love Thanksgiving.

What a neat post. Maybe I should do an Autumn post too.

Amber said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that octupus costume. And LOVE this season even more. Now, if only I could breathe because of these blasted allergies....

txmommy said...

what a fun post, cute halloween photos!
I love soup too! you should share some recipes:)

Yvonne said...

Melissa: The colors are gorgeous. Sorry you don't get many trick or treaters--I just love to see what the kids wear. I'll be happy to share recipes--maybe another post soon.

Kimberly: I would love to read your post.

Tonya: I love all those things you mentioned.

Heidi: If your parents were really nice, they'd send you an airplaine ticket and bring you home so you could see the colors ; ) Soon that boyfriend will not be imaginary ; ) When Dad comes, maybe I could send some soup with him. I thought you woud say: "I love candy corn!!!!"

Nancy face: Just hop on a plane and you could be in the middle of that pic. You sound like me with the candy. (although I haven't had any chocolate for days--feels like years) I thought you'd get a kick out of the Mario picture.

I think when and if we ever move back to the U.S. I'll continue to celebrate both Thanksgivings.

I will look forward to your Autumn post, too.

Holly: I love soup in the fall, and salads in the summer. I hope you do an Autumn post.

Amber: I had never seen a costume like that until I was visiting my little grandson in CA, and I thought it was absolutely adorable. Good luck with the allergies.

txmommy: Maybe I'll do a post with some soup recipes--love when people do that.

Tori :) said...

Cute, cute costumes!!! Love them!

I too enjoy the extra hour of sleep!! And Halloween is my favorite!

Suzanne said...

Great post! How fun to see all those Halloween costumes. I love yummy fall food like anything with cinnamon and cloves, pie, soup, etc... It's also fun to start getting ready for Christmas. :)

No Cool Story said...

What a cute little witch! :)
Fall is my favoritest season, it has to do with all the things that you mentioned.

Lauren said...

That little octopus is the cutest little think I have ever seen!

Fall is by far my favorite season. It is so perfect!

Can you share some of your soup recipes with me??!