Monday, October 22, 2007

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

(As a preface, I am posting this today, but not sure how long we'll be at the hospital tomorrow (our anniversary is October 23rd), so I want to make sure Allan has a chance to read it today)

Dear Allan:

Hard to believe, but it has been 25 years since you and I were married. So much has happened in the short span of 25 years--many changes, many ups and downs. In that 25 years we have had 3 children, 10 grandchildren, and moved 12 times. But one thing has never changed--I have never looked back and said, "WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO???" It has been an adventure, but when you have a man like you standing by your side, you feel secure in the journey. You have taught me so much about love, respect, and commitment. You have always been such a great support to me.

I was so fortunate to marry into your family. Your parents have always shown me love, support, and encouragement. It's amazing how different we all are and I appreciate so much your telling me that your parents were not the type of people to get excited when you tell them something. (I could have easily been hurt on many occasions because they're not the type of people to jump up and down and show a great deal of emotion. I'm grateful I was warned.) I loved how you described it--"If you tell them something and they say that's nice, that means: "OH MY!!! THAT IS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!" One of my most cherished memories is your dad (who was very reserved and not terribly demonstrative) telling me he loved me before he died.


Our wedding day was an absolutely beautiful day. I loved being on the roof of the Oakland temple. I always want to re-enact photos--we could try this--oops, never mind, the dress wouldn't fit!!!














The blending of two families was not an easy task--actually we both have talked about how much harder it was than we anticipated. But even with all the tough times, I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I love Neal, Nancy, and Wendy (and I think they know it). I'm so grateful you adopted Stephen--he loves you so much and I'm so grateful that all of the kids and grandkids have you to emulate. (Isn't it amazing how young the kids look in the picture--of course, they were young!!!)



I appreciate so much your support and encouragement during the pregnancies of Heidi, Brent, and Kyle. I know those were not easy times for you, but you were always so great to me even when most of the time you couldn't even get near me because I couldn't even stand the smell of your soap. You were there helping with everything. Even when I spent the 2 months in the hospital with dehydration with Kyle, you came to see me each morning. I cherish the times we spent in the delivery room when each of the kids were born. Such sacred moments--especially when Richard delivered Brent. (I don't think I've ever had a more spiritual experience in the delivery room)


We had the best time at our reception--such a wonderful gathering with family and friends. I remember all of my Laurels being so excited for me. We all laughed because I remember a lesson I taught about dating and they teased me and told me, "Just don't marry a bald guy!!!" But that advice went right out the window when we started dating--they all loved you. Besides our police story when we were dating, I'll never forget your coming to Dennis and Pat's when I was there and leaving the note on my car. When we all saw you and opened the drapes you were so embarrassed you got in your car and drove away--with at least 8 pair of eyes watching you!!!





Every wedding reception I attend, I love seeing the cake, and after all these years, I still think ours was the most beautiful. It was a gift from a dear friend, Ruth W. She touched my heart when she told me she wanted to do it as a gift for us.












I'm looking forward to FOREVER

17 comments:

txmommy said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

GOod luck in the hospital{{{{Hugs}}}

PJ said...

*sniff* that was beautiful

Happy Anniversary you two!

Hope all goes well:)

Nancy Face said...

I ♥ your wedding photos! The group one is so cute...who is the girl making the funny face? She reminds me of someone...oh, yeah, ME, haha! :D

Your cake really WAS beautiful! The memories you shared were wonderful and touching...I'm sure Allan will love reading this. I'll be thinking about you both tomorrow, and praying for you.

There is an anniversary card in the mail, on its way to you! :o)

JustRandi said...

Your cake was amazing!
Congratulations to you both. 25 years is a really long and a really short time - all at once. You know what I mean. But either way it's a lot of work!
Have a great trip!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! And that post is such a beautiful tribute! Hope all goes well tomorrow!

Ashley said...

This was just the sweetest thing..he will feel an uplifting spirit all day tomorrow for sure knowing he is so loved. Hope all goes well!

Suzanne said...

Happy Anniversary, Yvonne!!! I loved getting to see your wedding pictures!

I totally agree with your statement that you feel secure going through the journey of life if the right man is beside you. Well said!

Oh, and I don't know of anyone that still fits in their wedding dress! Wouldn't that be nice??? LOL! :D

Thanks for sharing! I hope all goes well at the hospital.

Holly said...

That was beautiful! Happy Anniversary. I hope all goes well at the hospital. We were married in Oakland too!

Chel said...

That is so sweet. Happy Anniversary!

Tonya said...

Happy Anniversary!!! That was a beautiful post. I love seeing all the pictures. What a beautiful bride. Thanks for sharing your story and good luck tomorrow!!!

Calamity Jane said...

You are never going to believe this, but tomorrow is my 15th anniversary too! Happy anniversary!

Mel said...

Awww, that was so sweet!

Happy Anniversary:)

Nancy Face said...

I'm thinking of you two and praying for you today...

I have an award for you! :)

Tori :) said...

Where'd my comment go?? HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Tori :) said...

Holy cake!

Yvonne said...

Everyone: Thanks for the anniversary wishes. As you see from my post today things did not go as we planned, but at least everything is now fixed, so I feel very blessed. I just love you guys.

txmommy: I appreciate your hugs so much.

pj: Thank you.

nancyface: The silly girl is our Nancy (yes, that is her name!!!) She reminds me of another Nancy ; )

we will be watching for the card--thanks.

justrandi: I loved my cake. Like so many others we saved the top for our 1 month anniversary--yuk!!! You're right about long and short times

kimberly: Thanks for your good wishes.

ashley: You are sweet--he is definitely loved.

suzanne: I so wish all of you could meet him--he is an amazing man. I think that's what made today so hard--he's the one I lean on, usually not him leaning on me.

It would be nice to fit into the dress--but that will be only in my dreams!!!

holly: I remember you saying you were married in the Oakland temple, too.

chel: Thanks, chel.

tonya: Thank you so much.

cj: I so enjoyed your anniversary post.

mel: Thanks for the annivesary wishes.

nancy: thanks for the award.

tori: Thank you for making me smile today.

Lauren said...

I am late in the game, but HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Such cute photos! You look so lovely...as always.