Monday, October 8, 2007

HAPPY CANADIAN THANKSGIVING

Today is Thanksgiving here in Canada. Obviously, I cannot let a Thanksgiving go by without writing about all the things for which I am thankful. I don't think a person can ever express gratitude too often, so if I have done this before, I really don't care. I have been richly blessed and Thanksgiving is a great time to pause and express thanks for all that I have. As I think about Elder Uchtdorf's talk on Saturday when he asked: have we not reason to rejoice? I know I do. I often wonder why I have been so blessed. I am such a sap--I watch the news and read of people with great struggles and wonder why I am so blessed.

As I listened to President Eyring yesterday talking about seeing the hand of God in our lives (and seeking to recognize it) I wondered if I pause to look for His hand often enough. I'm going to make more of an effort to do that. I want to make sure I write down those experiences when I see His hand, so my children and grandchildren know that I recognize how God is always touching my life. I was so blessed to be introduced to the Church in 1973 as a single mom. My babysitter recognized how much I needed it in my life, and although it took me a year of studying, I was baptized April 6, 1974, and am so grateful for that decision.

It is such a privilege to be a mother--as I heard Sister Beck and Elder Oaks talk about our roles as mothers (and parents in general), I wondered what I need to do differently. I don't want to get caught up in feeling guilty, but I do know there are so many areas that I can do better. (I think that's part of why we have Conference, so we can all look at what we can do to become the people God needs us to be)

Tony, my son-in-law, lost his father on Saturday. As I sat there listening to President Monson's talk about Arthur--I so wish my son-in-law could have heard it. He is not a member of the Church, and that talk was so filled with hope. I'm so grateful for the hope that the Gospel brings into our lives. I think of my 5 sisters who are not members--they think our parents are buried and will be buried forever. I have tried to help them understand. I appreciate so much the knowledge I have that we will see our parents again.

I'm grateful for great Church leaders. Obviously, President Hinckley is amazing. I will forever remember the perseverance of Elder Wirthlin. What a great example. How can I ever complain about being too tired to go visiting teacher or to fulfill any assignment. He had a talk to give, and he was not going to sit down until he gave it! After asking what quality defines us best as members of the Church, he taught us the quality that defines him. I loved when he said that Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever.

I appreciate our local leaders as well. I appreciate all who have taught my children through the years. I have had the opportunity to serve with so many wonderful men and women who have been such great examples to me.

And, a word of thanks to all of you bloggers out there who brighten my life by your words. I did ask myself a few times while listening to Conference, whether I spend too much time reading blogs. I may have to stop and re-evaluate the amount of time I spend at the computer and not read every day.

Last, but certainly not least, I'm grateful to be a wife. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have the best and the cutest husband in the world!!! It's wonderful to know he will be home tonight. He enjoyed his time in Utah and I know Heidi and Brent had a great time with him. They were at the Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning sessions. Allan was able to have lunch on Friday with Brent and some of his former companions. Allan loved watching Brent and his companions interact--such great fun. He also enjoyed being with Heidi to celebrate her birthday. (I can't believe the Choir didn't sing Happy Birthday to her on Sunday ;)

This started as a Happy Canadian Thanksgiving post, but with the thoughts about Conference let me ask, what impressed you about Conference? It's always amazing to me how we hear what we need to hear. If we asked 20 people what they thought the overwhelming theme of conference was I'm sure we'd get various answers. In fact, we might even say, I don't even remember hearing anything about that subject.

Sidenote #1: I didn't make the brownies and guess what: Everyone survived!!! (Caramel brownie recipe will be posted this week)

Sidenote #2: I've started organizing my clothes for my upcoming trip. I decided to check the weather in the various cities we'll be visiting--good thing I did. I don't think it's going to be as cold as I thought--so I don't need as many sweaters. Yippee--sweaters take up way too much room!!! (More room for chocolate!!!)

16 comments:

I have a good life said...

What an awesome post. I loved conference so much, too. I agree that conference isn't so much a guilt trip, but more of a reminder of who we truly are and who we can become. Happy Thanksgiving!

mrsnesbitt said...

Here in UK I have just joined a group of people who blog on a Sunday about a particular blessing. This post is so similar to what i wrote. It is nice to know there are people out there with values, good honest family loving people. Great to meet you! Not sure how I got here....I only was going t be here for 5 minutes! LOL!

Holly said...

This was beautiful. I loved conference. All of it. I'm anxiously waiting for them to be available for reading online! I loved what Elder Eyring said about seeing the hand of God in our lives. Wow. And Sister Beck was so good. At first all I could think of was, "I'm not that kind of Mom." And then I realized, I could work towards being that kind of Mom. It was actually very empowering!

Thanks for such a lovely, thought-provoking post.

Nancy Face said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I loved the talks by Elder Uchtdorf and Sister Beck, and I just cried through Pres. Monson's message. I was so worried for Elder Wirthlin, and then became more and more amazed as he completed his message. It was touching to watch Pres. Eyring assisting him. I too need to limit my computer time (sigh)! I'm glad there was no brownie revolt at your house! :D

txmommy said...

Happy THanksgiving!!!
I can't wait to listen to all of conference.

When are you leaving on your trip? HOw fun will that be!!

Kayelyn said...

Dallin H. Oaks is always a favorite of mine.

So I gather you are thankful for conference and the spiritual food that fills your soul with.

Great post.

Tonya said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I had much of the same thoughts that you did during conference. This time, I took notes which I think helped me to retain more of the topics.

So many talks to choose from but my favorite would be President Eyring talking about seeing the Lords hand in your life everyday. What a legacy to leave for your kids.

I too feel blessed beyond measure so I know what you mean. I often sit waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Ashley said...

Conference was just wonderful. I think I liked the good, better, best talk.

It is good to be able to read. It is better to read something meaningful.(which could include some wonderful posts I have read)

It is best to read the scriptures. I totally agree with this. I will try to choose the best. I will try and not spent time on my computer so frequently.

Suzanne said...

Great post! How wonderful to hear you express what you're thankful for!

Conference was so fabulous! Some of my favorite points:

We will sometimes have to wait awhile to get through trials, but God will always remember us!

Good things shouldn't take the place of the best things.

Mothers have such a great responsibility!

Suzanne said...

P.S. Have fun getting ready for your trip. Room for extra chocolate is always good & yes I want that caramel brownie recipe! Yum! :D

Yvonne said...

I'm so glad all of you left comments. Thanksgiving was wonderful--Kyle and I had a great dinner. (I did miss not having turkey, guess I'll have to wait for American Thanksgiving!!!)

I have a good life: I was so thrilled to read your post about conference--so well done.

mrsnesbitt: So glad you stopped by--it's wonderful to notice the blessings we have in our lives.

holly: I have always enjoyed Sister Beck--I loved when she talked about making the MTC experience a review for our young men. It truly was a wonderful conference.

nancy face: Thanks. All the talks were fabulous. I had a lot of fun today at Seminary going through them with the kids.

txmommy: Thank you. We leave for our trip on the 24th--it's coming way too fast.

kayelyn: Conference is ALWAYS such a great feast and I am very grateful we have it every six months.

tonya: I love taking notes--it helps me a lot. Although it is hard when I watch it at the Stake Center because it's always so dark.

I think it's important to recognize how blessed we are.

Ashley: I liked the good, best, better talk as well. It will be hard for me not to spend as much time on the computer, but I will try, too.

Suzanne: We had just talked in Seminary about Sarah and Abraham and waiting on the Lord, so I kept thinking of the kids hearing that talk and knowing they knew what was being talked about.

I love being a mother and it's wonderful to be reminded how important it is--some days it's tougher than others. I'll get the brownie recipe posted tomorrow.

CHEL said...

That was an awesome post and wonderfully written. You have such a wonderful outlook on life, religion, your family....
Conference is always so re-charging, don't you think?

oh yes, and happy Canadian Thanksgiving!!!!

david santos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mel said...

What a great recap of conference. The talks left me with renewed energy and motivation. I've spent some time evaluating my priorities.

Hope your Thanksgiving Day was a good one:)

Lauren said...

I loved Conference so much. I got so much out of each and every speaker. I think I want to get a special journal so I can write down what i am grateful for each day. I think that will help me become more aware of my blessings.

You are amazing, what a great post!

Melissa said...

I too am wondering about the amount of time I spend reading. I'm trying to cut back...
Conference was great! I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, it's late. I have one kid who is almost asleep... but fighting it. I'm tired. So, I can't think of specifics right now... sorry!