Thursday, October 11, 2007

RECIPES

Since I can't make this recipe, I thought some of you might enjoying making it. I've always laughed saying when we first moved here, this was the only reason we ever got invited to people's homes, because with the invitation would come this request: "By the way, could you please bring your brownies". Enjoy.

CARAMEL BROWNIES

50 caramels (light) -- in color, not sugar free or anything
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1 pkg. German chocolate cake mix
3/4 c. melted butter
1 c. nuts (optional)
2 c. semi sweet chocolate chips

Combine: Caramels with 1/3 c. evaporated milk. Heat until melted. Set aside.

Combine: Cake mix, butter, 1/3 c. evaporated milk and nuts in a large bowl. Stir until dough holds together. Press 1/3 of the dough into a greased and floured 9 x 13
pan. Bake at 350 for 6 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over "crust" and spread melted caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining dough over caramel layer. Bake 15 - 18 minutes. Cool, then chill for 30 minutes. Cut into bite-size bars.

(disclaimer: may be addicting!!!)


I love soup in the fall. These are a couple of my favorite recipes.

AUTUMN SOUP

1 pound ground beef (I like to use extra lean)
1 c. chopped onion
4 c. water
1 c. diced carrots
1 c. diced celery
2 t. salt
1 t. kitchen bouquet
1/4 t. pepper
1/8 t. basil
6 tomatoes*

In lage saucepan, cook and stir meat until browned. (Drain any grease) Cook and stir onions with meat until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add tomatoes; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer--or until vegetables are tender.

*1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes (with liquid) can be substituted for the fresh tomatoes. Reduce water to 3 cups. Stir in tomatoes after you cook the meat and add the water. Heat to biling. Reduce heat--cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir to break tomatoes apart.

I like to cook some of those fun different shaped pastas during the different holidays--the little pumpkins in the fall, the Christmas tree ones at Christmas time. (We have a tradition of having homemade soup and rolls on Christmas Eve.)


CHICKEN SOUP--SOUTHWESTERN STYLE

This is a recipe from my friend, Cory:
1 large can (47 1/2 oz.) chicken broth (or use homemade)
1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1/2" chunks
1 large chopped onion
1/3 c. minced fresh parsley
1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
1 minced garlic clove
1 t. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
3 c. frozen corn, thawed

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients, except the corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add corn and cook 10 minutes longer. Top each serving with some corn chips and then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

Sidenote #1: I will be glad to have Allan home tonight. He got home from Utah on Monday and then Tuesday afternoon left to go to Indiana for my son-in-law, Tony's, father's funeral. I'm so glad that Allan was able to arrange it so he could be there. I would have loved to have been able to be there with everyone. I guess we can't do everything.


Sidenote #2:
We are less than 2 weeks away from our trip. I really can't remember when we actually booked the cruise, but I can't believe it is finally almost here. So often the anticipation of a trip is almost more exciting than the actual trip itself.

22 comments:

Tori :) said...

Oooh! Thanks for the yummy recipes!!
I'm glad Allan was able to go the funeral, but I know you love to have him home!!
YAY!! for your cruise!!

Suzanne said...

***Drooling all over keyboard***

Yum! I'm definitely going to try these recipes out. They look fantastic! O.k., but I'm not not really sure what kitchen bouquet is! :D

Neal said...

We missed you...

anrobi said...

Thanks for the recipes! I'll try them out.

Holly said...

Hey, that's my turtle brownie recipe! My husband calls them "cardiac brownies". They're really good with pecans.

Nancy Face said...

I think it must be Christmas! I just found the most wonderful and exciting and gloriously sweet package in my mailbox, and it traveled all the way from Canada! THANK YOU SO MUCH! That's not just Good Mail...it's The Best Mail! Thanks for making my day! :D

Nancy Face said...

Now I can comment on your post!

Thanks for the great recipes...I love soup! Like Suzanne said, I don't know what kitchen bouquet is, but I'll be finding out, haha! The brownies sound completely SINFUL! At our house, nuts are MANDATORY, not optional, haha! ;)

I'm glad your hubby is coming home. How exciting the cruise is so soon! :D

Suzanne said...

Nancy had better make her hubby those brownies because I have it from a good source that he will turn into a large blue gorilla if she doesn't! :D

Lauren said...

Ooooooo!! I am so excited to try these recipes! You have made my day so happy. I love reading recipes...it's one of my favorite things ever!

I am so excited for you...your trip will be so much fun!

Tonya said...

Those look absolutely delicious, the Autumn soup reminds me of something my mom used to make that she called Hamburger Stew. I'm going to have to try that one for sure.

PJ said...

I gained two pounds just READING that first recipe! It was worth it:)

I will try these, just one...little one or two.

Amanda said...

Your self control continually amazes me!! Thanks for sharing the recipes. Especially the brownie recipe! :)

Tonya, I remember Hamburger stew, it does sound just like the Autumn soup! Mmmmmm!!!

Ashley said...

Oh la la those brownies do sound scrumptous! The weather is just about perfect for some soup.

txmommy said...

yummy!

Yvonne said...

I hope everyone enjoys these--kitchen bouquet is a browning and seasoning sauce. None of these recipes are ANYTHING that I created. I am not a great cook, by any stretch of the imagination. Never do I just start from scratch and create something without using a recipe someone has given me. The brownie one was given years ago at a cookie exchange; the autumn soup was 30 years ago from a girl I worked with; and the chicken soup is from a friend here in Winnipeg.

tori: yes, I love having Allan home. I'm getting so excited about the cruise.

suzanne: Let me know what you think after you try them.

neal: Thanks--sure wish I could have seen everyone (but especially g-man)

anrobi: Amanda--I love when you visit Grandma's blog!!! Let me know when you try them what you think.

holly: I love them with nuts, too. I love your husband's "cardiac brownie" comment.

nancy: so glad you got the mail. It was fun putting it together.

I love nuts, too, and so does Allan--my kids are not big nut eaters. It's great to have Allan home even if he is leaving again Saturday (flying to Saskatoon for Church) and then Sunday afternoon off to Ottawa for a couple of days.

suzanne: I think you're right about nancy's husbands turning into that big blue gorilla--I heard that same thing ; )

lauren: I'm glad I made your day with the recipes.
Amanda has a great blog with recipes. Check it out. The trip is going to be amazing.

tonya: I think the soup recipe probably has lots of different names. It's one of our favorites.

pj: I hope you enjoy them--have one for me!!!

Amanda: I'll probably be TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL on the cruise!!! It may be the same recipe.

Ashley: You're right about the weather--great weather for soup. I love putting corn chowder in bread bowls.

txmommy: Let me know if you make them.

Kari & Kijsa said...

Oh we can't wait to make those brownies!!! Ymmmy- off to the grocery!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

JustRandi said...

What yummy recipes! Thanks for posting them! I'm interested to try the brownie thing. I just keep thinking it's too easy to be THAT good... but I'm taking your word for it until I try it out.

Calamity Jane said...

you don' t by any chance have a fat free, whole wheat, low sugar, and still taste the same recpie for those brownies???

Amber said...

You are EVIL for the brownie recipe (I AM DIETING)but the others sound worth trying!!!

Melissa said...

Those recipes sound absolutely scrumptous!
YEAH for your trip! It sounds like so much fun!!

annie said...

Oh my those brownies sound delicious. I can't wait to try them!

Yvonne said...

kari and kisja: Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy them.

justrandi: They really are delicious.

calamity jane: If you EVER find a recipe like that, let me know ; )

amber: You have no idea how tough it is for me to not go make them and eat them!!!

melissa: I hope you make some of the recipes and let me know what you think.

annie: I hope you try them. Thanks for stopping by.