Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Last month, I did a post for Canadian Thanksgiving, and since tomorrow is American Thanksgiving I had to do another one.

First of all, I realized I didn't do my usual celebration post for the month of November (sorry, Wendy).On November 4th, Allan's daughter, Wendy, had a birthday.













November has always been a month of birthdays for my family. Bear with me--my mother's birthday was Nov. 26th; my oldest sister, Carol, was born Nov. 27th; one year later, my sister, Judy, was born (Nov. 28th); then 5 years later my sister, Gayle was born on Nov. 25th. Then came me--no I was not born in November but January (well some 14 months later). I always felt bad that I wasn't born in November!!!

I know I have done posts on gratitude before, but in Seminary we have been talking about the Exodus and murmuring. (I always thought I was a pretty good murmurer until I really studied some of the stories in the Old Testament--talk about people who complained about every little thing!!! I shared with the youth a great quote about the sin of ingratitude. I never want to be guilty of not showing gratitude. I'm afraid so often I look at the "little" things and don't acknowledge that so many do not enjoy shelter, food, heat, freedom, health care, etc.

Here are a few things for which I am grateful:

Testimony--I am so grateful that I have a testimony that God lives, that Jesus Christ truly is my Savior. I am also grateful for the friend who shared her testimony with me some 33 years ago.

Health--with the little health scare we had with Allan, I am so grateful that we are all healthy. Everyone has aches and pains, but we are so fortunate to be able to get around and enjoy such good health.

Allan--why am I so blessed to have the best husband around???? Sorry, ladies, I truly do feel that way. (No need to argue with me, I hope you feel that way about your husband, too) I have had a senior moment and really can't remember where I heard this story about a man who goes in to see his Bishop and doesn't know what to do because he realizes he doesn't love his wife and he doesn't know what to do. The Bishop tells him to "love your wife". The man is upset--but you don't understand I don't love my wife. The Bishop again tells him to "love your wife". The man is beside himself--the Bishop just doesn't understand. The Bishop explains love is a verb!!!

Night--No, it isn't like the words of that old Alicia Bridges song "I love the Nightlife". I love night for a few reasons. First of all, I love stars and the moon. I still remember when I was a little girl and the men from NASA came to our school and said one day we'd put a man on the moon. My friends and I thought that was the silliest thing we'd ever heard!!! (Gives you an idea of how old I am, doesn't it???) Anyway, I love space. I love it when we see the Northern Lights!!! I love knowing we are just a little part of this great big wonderful existence. I also love night because it's followed by...DAY!!!

Kindness--I have been the recipient of such kindness from family, friends, and neighbors, and it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who are so willing to give of themselves. And, of course, the kindness extended to me and my sisters after our parents died will forever be with me. How could you ever say enough about 2 people who took 6 teenage girls (that they didn't know) into their home and raised them as their own.

Savior--I cannot say enough about the gratitude I feel for Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice. I don't even think I can put into words what I feel for Him. I only hope I can show Him by living my life in a way that is pleasing to Him.

Grandchildren--I have 10 of the cutest grandchildren a grandma could have. Of course, you can't have those without their parents. I have such wonderful sons and daughter/step-daughters and 2 wonderful daughters-in-law and a fantastic son-in-law!!! I do have to admit that I wish they were all closer, but it sure makes the times we get together so much sweeter.

Information--that is so easy to gather because of the amazing technology that is available to us today. There isn't much we can't google. I think it's so exciting to watch the world change.

Vacations--which always allows us time for rest and relaxation; and often a chance to visit family and friends!!!! I have an amazing family and I love them so much.

Instruction--I'm grateful for the instruction I receive as I read my scriptures, listen to General Conference, as well as those who teach. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to learn.

Nature--If there had been a "C" in Thanksgving I would have used the word creations, but this is the closest I could get. We live in an absolutely amazing world. There is so much beauty everywhere. I love that everything is so different. I complain about the snow (and the hoar frost) but I love that when I look out my window in January it is so different than it is in August--I love the mountains, and I'm growing to love the prairies. I love the smells of flowers, the songs of birds--gosh it's all so amazing. And it all has been created for our use and enjoyment.

Geneology--No I am not a geneologist by any stretch of the imagination, but I love knowing we all belong to families and are linked together. Isn't it FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks to each of you for being such great friends. Enjoy your holiday. We will have 20 missionaries join us for dinner tomorrow. I hope you are all surrounded by loved ones. For those who are away from home, be safe as you travel back home.

8 comments:

Tonya said...

Great post. You are one of the sweetest, most genuine people I have ever met. I'm thankful that I found you out here in bloggy-land.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Holly said...

Beautiful post, Yvonne! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

txmommy said...

This is a great post! happy THanksgiving!!!

Nancy Face said...

I loved this, Yvonne! It gave me a wonderful lift! :)

The cool thing about having your birthday in January is that it makes that otherwise dull month something great to look forward to!

I would love to see the Northern Lights!

20 missionaries? You're an angel! (But I already knew that!) :)

heidi said...

I'm a little slow--I didnt catch on you were spelling out Thanksgiving--oops! Thanks for sharing mom, I love hearing your testimony and all you are grateful for. I am certainly grateful for you and the amazing woman you are and all you have taught me! I love you TONS and don't know where I would be without you! Thank you for being there with me through it all--especially those very difficult times. Thank you for being so strong! I love you!

Tori :) said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Melissa said...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I love this post :) We had dinner with my Grandma and she had everyone say one thing they are greatful for... my mom said "Grandkids" without hesistation ;)

Amber said...

Now THAT is an equal-opportunity Canuck--giving thanks on both Thanksgivings!