Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Day of Randomness

I feel like being random today, so here goes:

1) I'm into countdown mode--4 more sleeps and Brent will be home, and 11 more sleeps and Heidi will be home. I can hardly wait. It will be so wonderful to attend Church together on the 23rd. Actually we will have our Ward Christmas dinner on that Saturday night, so both Brent and Heidi will be able to attend. This will be Brent's first Christmas at home for a couple of years--he got home from his mission last January.

2) Last Sunday the Primary President asked Kyle to play during Primary and his Sunday School teacher said no because she felt he needed to be in class. As I walked by the Pres. asked me if I could play, I said not really. She then said, just the top notes with your right hand. Well, that I could do. But, I obviously didn't do a very good job because after the opening hymn, one of the teachers asked me, "Sis. R., would you like me to take over?" It's a good thing I had a piano lessons today!!! Maybe I've been away too long ; )

3) I have been listening to my Josh Groban "Noel" Christmas CD. Every time I listen to "I'll be Home for Christmas" and it has the greetings from soldiers and for soldiers, I bawl. And then I feel so selfish--here are these families sacrificing so much, and I'm feeling sorry for myself because all of my family can't be with ME for Christmas. Thank you to all those who have anyone serving in the military. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

4) Last week was so incredibly cold--not so bad this week. I look at our little missionaries and feel so bad for those that just recently arrived. I know they were told it was cold here, but cold is one thing, this is worse than cold!!! Not sure if I mentioned this before, but we have one from Yuma, AZ, who when he was putting on his coat commented that it was the first coat he ever owned ; )

5) It's been fun having the site meter on here because now I see where some readers come from who don't leave comments. I was going to say I really want everyone who stops by to leave a comment, but then again, I guess maybe you don't want to say anything positive and you've been taught, "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all". I am curious about a couple of places that keep popping up--one from a University on the West Coast, and then a couple of people on the East Coast. I'm so glad you stop by. Thanks ; )

6) Our Stake had such a wonderful event on Saturday night--Prelude to Christmas. We had it in conjunction with a local Catholic Church. Both choirs performed and it was just a nice evening. The Priest spoke and then our Stake Pres. spoke. I think everyone who attended, enjoyed the evening.

7) We had some wonderful talks at Church on Sunday. One of the speakers quoted a talk given by Elder Wirthlin back in 2002. Because this time of year we all feel so busy, I just wanted to quote part of the Conference talk. (I do this so I don't forget) He was talking about the early apostles who left their nets to follow the Savior. He asked if the Savior were to call us today would we be willing to leave our nets to follow Him. He described these "nets" as anything that entices us from following the call to follow Jesus. He said, "It is impossible to list the many nets that can ensnare us and keep us from following the Savior. But if we are sincere in our desire to follow Him, we must straightway leave the world’s entangling nets and follow Him...
I do not know of another period in the history of the world that has been so filled with such a variety of entangling nets. Our lives are so easily filled with appointments, meetings, and tasks. It is so easy to get caught in a multitude of nets that sometimes even a suggestion of breaking free of them can be threatening and even frightening to us...we can spend a lifetime whirling about at a feverish pace, checking off list after list of things that in the end really don’t matter...
That we do a lot may not be so important. That we focus the energy of our minds, our hearts, and our souls on those things of eternal significance—that is essential...
As the clatter and clamor of life bustle about us, we hear shouting to “come here” and to “go there.” In the midst of the noise and seductive voices that compete for our time and interest, a solitary figure stands on the shores of the Sea of Galilee, calling quietly to us, “Follow me.”



I so need to get my priorities straight--especially this time of year. I want to be sure and take the time to focus on those things that matter most.

Hope you all have a great day.

21 comments:

txmommy said...

I like your randomness! SOunds like lots of great stuff is going on right now.

I liked your meme too, it's fun to learn things about people. HOw neat that you've been able to travel so much!

Holly said...

Random is good. Some neat things to share. Thanks. I had to laugh at the missionary from Arizona. I'm sure some of our missionarie feel the same way about Idaho! I love my site meter. I have some visitors I would like to hear from too.

Anonymous said...

Hi,I'm Txmommy's mom. I have been lurking on your blog just for a short time, but I love it. You sound like an awesome gal. I really enjoy your comments and thanks for writing.
Natalie

Lei said...

Hi. :) You're so sweet to check on me. I am fine -just dealing with more than your average share of stress right now. All excess activities are hold for me until things settle down. I looked for your email address in your profile and couldn't find it - so sorry for leaving a personal note on your blog. I appreciate your concern!

JustRandi said...

I like your randomness!
How funny about the Yuma missionary. My parents live in AZ now and they are the same way. They only get out their coats when they come here.

And thanks for the quote. You're right, it's always important, but especially this time of year!

txmommy said...

hi! it's me your tx friend.
My parents don't know. They are selling thier house and closeing mid Jan then moving in with us while dad finishes teaching the spring semester. Somewhere along the way they'll fill out papers. They want to leave late in the summer on a mission. (2 years ish) come home for 6 months, then go out again for a second. That's the plan right now. Hopefully it will go as they hope.

Nancy Face said...

Lauren has 42 more sleeps and Ted will be home...but who's counting? ;)

My piano skill level is right up there with yours!

I'm listening to Josh Groban right now...when I read about "I'll Be Home For Christmas" that song was playing! I ♥ it!

I guess it's about time I get a site meter, too!

Thank you for sharing part of Elder Wirthlin's wonderful talk! Have a beautiful day! :)

Tonya said...

I love random thoughts.

I really liked the talk from Elder Wirthlin. Hubs and I were just talking about this very thing tonight.

I'm glad your family will all be together for Christmas.

Melissa said...

Perhaps I should take that Elder Wirthlin's quote literally... and leave my net... as in the Internet :S I'm fairly addicted.
Love the random thoughs for the day :)

Yvonne said...

txmommy: Thanks--sometimes it's hard to figure a theme so why not be random?!? I feel so fortunate that we've had the opportunity to travel.

holly: I feel bad for those who have not experienced cold weather--it's got to be a shock to their system.
The site meter is a lot of fun. I really wish everyone would comment.

anonymous (Natalie) I'm so glad you commented. Thank you so much. I enjoy your daughter's blog a lot. Good luck with all you're doing, and have a great Christmas with your family.

lei: I sure hope everything is o.k. You're in my thoughts and prayers. I have your e-mail and will send you a note so you have mine.

justrandi: I just can't imagine not needing a coat during the winter!

I loved the quote and needed to be reminded of keeping things balanced.

txmommy: Thanks for answering my question. I hope everything falls in line for your folks. Allan and I thought we'd put our papers in when Kyle puts his in, but it probably won't be until a couple of years after he gets home.

nancyface: The time will just fly by for Lauren. It's much easier for me to play the piano when no one is singing--but even then it's not that great. But I try. I figure one day when Allan and I are on a mission I'll be able to help in some little branch somewhere ; )

Thanks for recommending the Josh Groban CD.

Get a site meter--they are great.

tonya: Thanks. It's so easy to get caught up in the busyness of Christmas, and I need to be reminded to slow down and focus on that which really does matter. It will be so great to have Heidi and Brent home--one day we will get them all here.

melissa: I think you are a wonderful person who does so much for others and has such a great love for family. I appreciate what you write on your blog.

PJ said...

I'm SO glad you will have some family with you soon.

I wish I could play piano.

What a great stake activity~

Jeff McCall said...

Oh yes, Random is wonderful...with kids two and four years old I live in randomness!! I have been an avid reader for some time and just love your blog. I have only commented once but had to this time since I was wondering if I was the University on the West Coast?? The account is under my husbands name so dont know if it comes up with his address or not!!
Wishing you and your family a holiday season filled with oodles of love and happiness!
karen in cali

Nancy Face said...

Hi Yvonne! I just wanted to wish you a happy Thursday! :)

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

I cry each time I listen to Josh's "I'll be Home for Christmas" too! Glad I am not alone! I SO am enjoying that CD.

Thanks for the quote from Elder Wirthlin. Beautiful thoughts that I hope I can keep close to my thoughts and actions forever.

Yvonne said...

pj: First of all--I love the little picture. I'm so fascinated that the little lights flicker. I'm so looking forward to the kids coming home. I wish I could play, too.
It was a great activity.

karen: I'm so glad you commented. Thanks for visiting and thanks for the good wishes.

nancyface: thanks--I needed that.

gina: I'm glad I'm not the only one who cries when I heart that song.

I keep reading the quote--hope it sinks into my heart!

JustRandi said...

Hey, yvonne- I was just looking for your email to send you a quick note. But since I can't find it, I'm sending you a cyberhug - which is all the note was going to be, really....

Chel said...

Very cool stuff!
That poor kid from Yuma :) Now that I think about it, I wear sweaters a lot here, but only a light jacket or leather coat a couple of times.
I love how you are counting down the days to see your kids! You are such a sweetie!

Jayci said...

Hi Yvonne! That is such a great idea to have a choir Christmas production with a Catholic church, they bring great music and we bring great spirit. :) I should pass that along to my next ward. As far as Winchell's go on the West Coast, I think they are still up and running. My dad and I love Winchell's as well. Cute blog!

Yvonne said...

justrandi: thanks so much--you're very sweet.

chel: You'd laugh if you saw me--hat, gloves, and heavy jacket and that's just when I drive Kyle to school!!!

jayci: Thanks for stopping by to answer my question. I miss Winchell's--actually haven't had one for a number of years. Our Prelude to Christmas was a wonderful evening.

Lauren said...

That quote by Elder Wirthlin really was amazing and inspiring :) Thank you for sharing.

I don't know what that foolish missionary from AZ is talking about! I have been freezing my little cahooties off! I am sitting in my house with a jacket on...that aint right! Tell him Lauren says he be crazy.

I only have 40 sleeps till Teddy gets home! I am excited that you get to see yoyr kids soon!

Theresa said...

Thanks for sharing that quote - a really good thing to have in mind. (I'm one of those visitors that rarely comment btw. But NOT because I'd say something nasty! I just enjoy reading.. :)