Friday, December 21, 2007

Seminary Breakfast

I decided yesterday that since we have so much to carry over to the Church when we do the Seminary Christmas breakfast, we'd move it to our house. I only have a couple of kids that had to travel a little farther than normal. (Kyle was thrilled--he figured he could sleep in a whole lot longer--what maybe 10 minutes???)

I have been trying to come up with a little ornament for them and finally I remembered Heidi had received a great one from her YW leader a number of years ago and since none of my students have older sisters who would have had Nicki, I would use the same one. We had been talking about how everything in the Old Testament points to the Savior and His Atonement so this was perfect. (Thanks, Nicki)
This is what it says:
It’s Christmas time at our house
and we are putting up the tree. .
I wish I could find one simple way
to remember Christ’s gift to me.

Some little sign or symbol
to show friends stopping by
the little babe was born one day
but He really came to die.

Some symbol of His nail pierced hands
the blood he shed for you and me
What if I hung a simple nail
upon the Christmas tree?

A crimson bow tied round the nail
as His blood flowed down so free.
To save each person from their sin,
and redeem us for all eternity.

I know it was His love for us
that held Him to that tree.
But when I see this simple nail
I know He died for me.



I love that one of my girls brought three of her friends from school, and one of the boys brought his girlfriend, so it was a great day to have one of our returned missionaries come and speak to the youth about the value of serving a mission. He did a fantastic job. As always, our cooks were great. No one left the house hungry.














I guess the breakfast has just been a sampling of life for the next few days. Maybe tonight we'll stay home and relax ; ) (When Heidi comes home I want to be able to stay up and have more time with her!!!!) Tomorrow night is our Ward Christmas dinner. Haven't made arrangements to go carolling on Sunday, so I'm not sure if we'll do that. On Monday we will have our Christmas traditional soup and buns meal and take a ride on the Candy Lane Train. Tuesday we have some of the missionaries and the MP and his wife coming for dinner. It will be fun. Wednesday which is Boxing Day we have a gathering here for dessert. Then we have a young man from our Ward who is now living in Minnesota and going to school. (We have been good friends with he and his family for years. He told his wife that Allan makes the best fried chicken he has ever had. (Well, of course, that gets you dinner at our house with your family when you come home to visit.) We love this family so it will be great to have them all here for dinner on Thursday. Then I think I will put my feet up for a day or two. I SO LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR.


Sidenote: The kids and I were laughing yesterday about December 22nd being the first day of winter--they wondered what season it is when the temperatures are at -40????? Sounds like winter to me ; ) Actually, the last few days have been fairly mild. There is a winter storm watch in effect for tonight and tomorrow--we'll see

Sidenote #2--A very special thank you to Nancyface and Lauren for the beautiful Christmas Card. I LOVED the picture. Thank you. Also, a special thanks to Tori who also sent a card and a picture. I feel like such a slug because Tori got cards out AND SHE MOVED!!!! I have no excuse.

11 comments:

Holly said...

It looks like it was so much fun! You are an awesome teacher to do that. 40 below? And I complain when it's 20!

Melissa said...

You are so awesome to cook for all those people! I'd be calling Pizza Hut... I'm good like that ;)
I remember one year having -35 below in Idaho... miserable miserable stuff!! Stay warm!! And MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Tonya said...

Wow, you have a busy schedule but I'm sure it will be rewarding. I hope you have a wonderful time and keep warm my friend. Merry Christmas!!!

Lauren said...

I loved that you had a seminary Christmas breakfast! How fun. That is so neat that some of them got to bring friends :) Haha, I hope Kyle got to sleep in for 10 minutes!

Mmm soup and buns...

MAGIRK said...

That brings back soooo many fond memories of my time in Seminary. I only attended during my Senior year (long, emotional story), so I did 3 years of make-up work my Senior year in order to graduate from Seminary.

I was living with a foster family at the time, and pretty directionless and sad in my life. My Seminary teacher, who didn't know me at all, felt inspired to ask me to serve on the Seminary Council as a senior rep. Honestly, it changed my life. I gained my testimony there and made friendships to remember all my life.

That was the point in my life where I was turned from wondering why life mattered at all and wanting to end it. So it, literally, saved my life.

I hope you know that you are an influence for good in what you do! Bless you!!

Nancy Face said...

Magirk's comment made me cry.

The Seminary Breakfast sounds so awesome! I'm glad Kyle got to sleep in...what a treat! ;)

I love the gift you gave your students! It's very special. :)

I can't believe how busy you are with so many fun activities in the next several days...wow! :

What? You think -40 degrees is COLD? Tee hee! :D

Yay, I'm glad you got the card! We sent something else at the same time...where could it be? ;)

Nancy Face said...

I got your wonderful package today! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I love it...you really made my day! ♥ Nancy :)

Nancy Face said...

Lauren got an anonymous comment today that really hurt her feelings. :(

Yvonne said...

holly: the morning was so fun It does get cold.

melissa: Oh, I don't do the cooking. My hubby gets up very early and gets it all together, then I have a couple of guys that come over and help.

We'll stay warm, and Merry Christmas to you.

tonya: The schedule will be busy, but it will be great fun. You have a great Christmas, too.

lauren: Kyle couldn't stop talking about his extra 10 minutes ; ) I still wish you were one of my students.

Magirk: Thank you, I appreciate so much what you wrote. It really touched my heart. if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to pass on what you wrote to a few of my friends who are Seminary teachers. That was so beautifully written and it makes that getting up in the morning even more worth it.

You are such an amazing young woman--thank you for your willingness to share such tender experiences.

nancyface: Yes, that was a beautiful comment. The breakfast was great, and Kyle LOVED his extra 10 minutes. I love the gift, too, and will even make one for myself so when Heidi and Kyle take theirs, I will have one, too.

The next few days will be great.

I'm so glad you got the package. You are such a dear friend, and even though we aren't next door neighbors am grateful for your friendship.

Thanks for the heads-up on the anonymous comment. I don't know why people feel the need to do things to hurt others. Please give her a hug for me.

MAGIRK said...

Of course I don't mind your sharing it with others. I think that people need to know that when we talk of how 'you never know whose life you'll influence or touch for the better, so you need to be the best example you can be and always treat everyone kindly,' that is a true principle, and it's worth it if only one life is touched.

Which we all know is not the case - we may not think we touch too many people's lives (I know sometimes I even wonder how much I affect my own children! ha, ha - it seems to go in one ear...), but we never see the countless lives of those whom we do touch. I know they're there, and we may not even know them until the next life, but the ripples are endless, for good or bad. So we may as well make them good!

There are a handful of people to whom I attribute my still being here - based on their caring and going the extra mile to make sure one kid out of a million didn't get lost in the crowd.

I make sure, even today, to let them know how grateful I am for not letting me get lost in the crowd. Tell whoever you want! :-) Tell them to remember it, and to keep close watch for the kids (or people) who may be feeling lost in the crowd.

Each one of us can make a difference! Even if it's small, it matters!

(I know that was really long, but I believe in it so strongly...)

Yvonne said...

magirk: Thank you. (Don't worry about it being long--it was wonderful. You are so right that we do not always know the lives we touch--and it's funny how someone will thank you for something you've said, and you may not even remember saying it, or think it even mattered.
I'm so glad that was someone there for you when you needed it most.