Sunday, January 27, 2008

CHOICES

In Seminary this year we have spent a lot of time talking about choices. The Old Testament is full of stories of people who made poor choices with disastrous results and some who have made good choices with wonderful results. We talked about how there is always a consequence. I shared with them a video clip from an old play that was made into a movie, "My Turn on Earth". There is a little song in it that says, "When you choose the very first step on the road, you also choose the last. So if you don't like the end of the road, you better back up fast!"

A couple of weeks ago one of the speakers at Church talked about goals and choices. He used a quote that I remember using a number of years ago when I spoke at a Women's Conference. Abraham Lincoln once said, "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Now keep in mind, I don't think Abraham Lincoln was talking about anyone with depression. And, I would never infer that people who struggle with depression need to change their thinking. I'm talking about myself: It just made me think about that #6 and #7 on my accountability list. I'm reminded of what pj said about letting something bother her for 24 hours and then letting it go! If I could do that, I'd have 6 and 7 ticked off my list!!! Recently on a post I talked about the movie The Bucket List, I loved what magirk wrote that she just wanted to "make peace with all the issues in (her) heart and mind". I would love to to be at peace with all of my issues, but I don't want to wait until the end to take care of things. I want to work through them now. These are choices I need to make now--not later!

The other day I got on the scale and GASPED. I thought I'd worked so hard and yet I gained weight ; ) I was so discouraged but then it hit me. (Now, keep in mind, and I am sure this is not a news flash to anyone who reads my blog, I am very simple minded). I realized that I used to be able to lose weight just by cutting back and exercising once in awhile--I could still cheat, I didn't have to work that hard, and still the weight came off. Today it doesn't work that way. I realized it is kind of like all of life--I have to work for those things I want. If I want to change my life--I have to put forth some effort. Things aren't going to just happen. It's time to make some better choices.

Sidenote:
Had a great trip to Regina to the temple Friday and Saturday. It was cold, but hey, it's January. The roads were clear, and Allan and I worked in the car on some Seminary lessons for next week. Hope you all had a great weekend.

11 comments:

Scuttle said...

Hey, I haven't been actively online for a while and thought I'd stop by. I love this quote "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." I can vouch for my sis that 24 hours is about tops for her. I wish I could do that. Whats really cool is that she lets me prattle on and on quietly helping me get through it. Good Post! Have a great Sabbath!

Magirk said...

I love this post! Especially since some of those 'issues' you mentioned about me, are a result of choices I've made. Even with repentance, my finite human nature keeps me stifled sometimes, bogged in the mire of what I believe to be Satan's influence and interest in keeping me stuck in my guilt and making me pay over and over again.

That's the biggest thing I am constantly doing battle with - fighting Satan's constant attempts to make me feel like schmuck. I think it's the only way he can get to me. He knows I'll stay on the path by doing the big things, the usual things (church attendance, scripture reading,...), he can't just topple me outright, he has to chip away at me, hoping that eventually I just won't notice the chipping and will break into a million pieces.

I fight those constantly. I win some, I lose some, but I keep trying. Hopefully overall, I'll win someday through persistence.

I'm in the same boat as you with the weight-loss stuff. I need to make a lot of new, different choices.

Glad you had a good trip to the temple! :)

Holly said...

Awesome post. Great thoughts about choices, you gave me some things to think about! I'm glad you had such a great temple trip.

Tori :) said...

Regina, Sask.?? My setp-daughters live in Fort Qu'Appelle.
I loved this post. It is true. When I am feeling "blah" I try to ask myself "What are you gonna do about it??" and change my attitude.

Alice Wills Gold said...

Yeah, when I was on Weight Watcher's I started realizing that I could cheat and still lose...it didn't last long! Glad you seemed to figure that out a lot quicker.

It's a good thing I've followed Lincoln's advice and decided to be happy, fat or not!

Annie said...

Annie's Free Weight Loss Tip:

When I am trying to lose weight, I make an effort to brush my teeth a few times a day. It tricks my brain into thinking, "Hey, she's got a clean mouth. Let's not mess it up by eating."

My downfall is always a bowl of cereal at 10pm at night. If I brush right after dinner, it helps to curb the urge to snack.

Chel said...

I really loved that last paragraph. You are so wise.
Our choices make us who we are and the efforts we put into our choices will determine the outcome.

Nancy Face said...

Now I'm singing that "My Turn On Earth" song in my brain! I've always told my kids that happiness is a choice! (I was not referring to depression, either.)

I'm sorry the scale was a meanie to you. Stinkin' metabolism! But I know you can do it...especially if the boys stay out of your special diet treats!!!

I'm so glad you had a great trip to the temple and that the roads were safe and clear! :)

Yvonne said...

scuttle: So glad you came by again ; ) I love PJ's positive attitude. I hope one day to be able to let things go within 24 hours.

magirk: The adversary so wants us to stay stuck in guilt--we need to repent and move on. We need to really apply the Atonement. The adversar is so insidious. You're so right--he knows we won't do the "big things", but he will ALWAYS try to chip away.

Thanks.

holly: Thanks so much.

tori: You bet--we pass Fort Qu'Appelle every time we travel to the Temple. The world is so small, eh?

Attitude is so important.

alice wills gold: I wish I had discovered the effort thing earlier.

annie: Thanks so much for the advice--sounds like a plan. I'll give it a try.

chel: I wish I were wise. I LOVE what you wrote--"our choices make us who we are and the efforts we put into our choices will determine the outcome.
Thanks so much.

nancyface: Happiness is a choice--you are right.

You are such a great support.

Lauren said...

Choices are the hardest part of life, I think. Even with help from the Lord, sometimes he doesn't give us a clear answer...especially when there is a choice between two good things.

I liked this post :)

Melissa said...

Choices and effort... sigh... these are things I struggle with. I hate making choices and sometimes, I just don't want to put forth the effort. That's why I have pieces of a quilt top all over, bags of oranges that need to be juiced, laundry to be done and a bunch of other things that need to be generally cleaned!
I guess I should look at my path... if I don't get these things done the end of the road will be a messy house and moldy oranges....