Monday, January 28, 2008

THIS GREAT MAN WILL BE MISSED

Last night, our beloved Prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away. What a great man he was, and how blessed we were to have been led and inspired by this man.

I still remember when he spoke at the first Young Women's Meeting after being sustained as Prophet in March 1995. As I looked at him, I knew he was a Prophet of God. I was so grateful for that witness.

I never had the privilege of meeting him personally, but we as a Stake were blessed to have him here in Winnipeg for a special meeting in 1998. Allan had the opportunity to shake his hand as he was part of Security. Our youth sang in a special choir and both Heidi and Brent were part of the choir. As he and Sister Hinckley exited the meeting at the door next to where Heidi had been seated, he and Sister Hinckley stopped and shook her hand. It's a memory I know she will cherish forever.

He had such a wonderful way of touching your heart. As he would walk to the podium at each Conference (carrying his cane), and then he would speak, you could feel his love for the Lord. What a marvelous example. I will so miss his sense of humor and that sweet little twinkle in his eye.

(Thanks to Brent for correcting me--I had originally put that he was sustained in September 1995. I can always count on Brent who has a great ability to remember dates ; )

13 comments:

Nancy Face said...

It's hard to read this through my tears. I love President Hinckley so much, and know without a doubt that he was a true Prophet of God. I will miss him so much, but I'm very happy for him now that he is reunited with his sweetheart in Heaven.

PJ said...

This caught me off guard, I did not know.

Oh, my heart.

Tonya said...

I couldn't agree more Yvonne. There was indeed something special about his man and I will never forget him or what he has meant to me and my testimony.

Corrine said...

I know I will truly miss him. I can't believe it happened, but I tell you as soon as I heard last night a flood of calm washed over me, a good warm feeling.

aurora said...

I will miss him terribly. I love his sense of humor and his love.

I am glad that he will be with his sweetheart, though, I almost always cried when I thought of him without her.

JustRandi said...

Beautifully said.

Whitney said...

I love President Hinckley. It's a sad day for us back here on Earth, but I'm sure it's a joyful day for him to be reunited with his sweetheart.
This was such a nice post, thank you! :D

mindyluwho said...

He did touch my heart every time he spoke, partly by what he said, and partly by the witness given to me that he was truly called of God.

Tori :) said...

He was amazing, wasn't he?

annie said...

Although I didn't know who he was, I am sorry for the loss. It sounds like he was very well liked and highly admired.

Holly said...

I have loved reading all of these beautiful tributes to President Hinckley. He was such a great man and he touched us all in so many different ways. He will be greatly missed.

Yvonne said...

Everyone: I loved reading all of your comments. President Hinckley truly was an amazing man. Thank you for your words.

Melissa said...

He will be missed - we had a regional Stake Conference broadcast the second week in January and he spoke. He talked of marriage and spoke of his wife and what a wonderful relationship they had. He missed her - it is so wonderful that he is with her again!